Thread: Is there a way to backup all programs installed?

Beans

Talking Is there a way to backup the full os and programs? (Im a newbie)

Hi all,
    Is there a way to backup all the programs that I have installed on xubuntu then if I have to re-install the os I can just stick all the programs back on?

either that or a way to backup my whole HDD?

thanks,
    Last edited by rock it; September 16th, 2009 at 07:58 PM.

Beans

Re: Is there a way to backup all programs installed?

Code:
     dpkg --get-selections > myInstalledPackages.txt
    restore with synaptic or

Code:
    dpkg --set-selections
    you can also make an image of your linux install and restore it to an other computers patition then reinstall the bootloader and correct /etc/fstab

i do that all the time (make a nice linux, distribute it to all other boxes)
    Last edited by ubongo2008; September 16th, 2009 at 08:05 PM.

Beans

If I did that would it work for wine? and wine-doors?
    also do you know how I could make backup of everything on the HDD... like everything, because I'm wanting to dual boot, but if it doesn't work then I'd like to have all my programs ready to stick back on without having to download again.

sorry if this makes no sense or if I'm repeating. :S

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rock it View Post
    also do you know how I could make backup of everything on the HDD... like everything, because I'm wanting to dual boot, but if it doesn't work then I'd like to have all my programs ready to stick back on without having to download again.

It only works for applications installed from the repositories. So any application manually downloaded and installed will require manual installation again.

Those commands works really nice. You could also use my Umarks Firefox extension, which basically does the same thing, but also creates, export and import lists of installed packages, that can be easily re-installed again using the extension installation feature. It also provides easy searching for installed packages on web sites like allmyapps, which also allows to create lists of installed packages and install them all at once.

If you don't want to download them again, then you could use remastersys.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can create an exact image of your partition with a program called Partimage. There are some good howtos around, and once you get the hang of it, it's invaluable.

Download yourself a Live CD with partimage on it via bittorrent (e.g. Parted Magic Live CD or just use a Ubuntu Live CD) and boot from that, because the partition you want to image cannot be mounted.

I've used Partimage for quite a bit now and it's saved my bacon a few times ;o)

Hope it helps,
    LP

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rock it View Post

Backup your whole user folder. That will save all Wine configuration and programs. For everything else use the commands in the second post.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by por100pre1 View Post
    Backup your whole user folder. That will save all Wine configuration and programs. For everything else use the commands in the second post.
    have you tried aptoncd its simple click and puts all your debs on cd and when you later insert it it will put them back on your hard drive.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by freackout View Post
    have you tried aptoncd its simple click and puts all your debs on cd and when you later insert it it will put them back on your hard drive.
    + 1.

I have used apton to move apps, repos, from one install to another (same version).

http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

Good luck.
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by freackout View Post
    I have tried it, but I experienced memory leaks with latest version from the repos. Too bad, AptonCD is a great tool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Is there a way to backup the full os and programs? (Im a newbie)

Try Remastersys.

It will do everything you are wanting.

http://www.geekconnection.org/remastersys/ubuntu.html