Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast

Thread: Realtek RTL8191SE

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Realtek RTL8191SE

Quote Originally Posted by hsoulen View Post
    Did you install the mainline from some PPA, from the debs or from source? I am in dependency hell from the updated module-init-tools.

Cheers,

Hank
    I downloaded the module-init-tools from the following URL

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu/pool...le-init-tools/

and then the relevant 3 files from

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...0-rc4-oneiric/

i.e.
    linux-headers
    linux-headers-generic
    linux-image

Install all 4, and reboot, and it should work

Note: other 3rd party drivers had issues, so I would try to test the kernel on it's own entity first, and then try any 3rd party drivers

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by hackwater View Post
    While waiting for Realtek to get back to me, I installed the 3.0 kernel (aka 2.6.40). I've been running using this kernel for around 9 hours with no problems. So the good news is that this will likely be fixed by the time Oneiric comes out. The not-so-bad news is that right now, I'm running on release candidate 4 of that particular Linux kernel, so they've had 3 candidates to review. I suspect this kernel is close to stable. The not-so-good-news is that these test kernels are not meant for every day use. I won't be getting kernel updates unless I add the kernels PPA to my APT repos, which is a scary idea. If this is the only way to go forward, so be it. But I'm going to test an alternative, which is the latest drivers from Realtek.

Yep, five hours after I e-mailed them, Realtek came back with a zipped package containing the March 29, 2011 driver source. Ignore the date in the filename; I base my date on the Readme and the Release note, which, incidentally, mentions fixing the "crash issue caused by LPS ps-poll and null tx desc wrong," this last being a staple of my syslog when the wireless goes down.

I haven't tried it yet, but that's my next attempt: 2.6.38 with the 0620.2011/March 29, 2011 Realtek drivers. Hopefully that will take care of things until Oneiric releases. I've attached the drivers in case they are helpful to others having the same issue.
    The attached drivers compile and load fine but cannot get a connection. I also tried the 3.0 kernel (rc1 since that is what is in the ppa) and get a panic on boot.

Beans

Ah, I see that there are more recent rc's. rc5 seems to be working great for me so far. Will know more tomorrow.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by arif-ali View Post
    I downloaded the module-init-tools from the following URL

http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/ubuntu/pool...le-init-tools/

and then the relevant 3 files from

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa...0-rc4-oneiric/

i.e.
    linux-headers
    linux-headers-generic
    linux-image

Install all 4, and reboot, and it should work

Note: other 3rd party drivers had issues, so I would try to test the kernel on it's own entity first, and then try any 3rd party drivers
    Thanks a bunch.

Will have a look, probably need the newest Nvidia drivers from the oneiric PPA otherwise not too many custom drivers.

I have to think about other distros to be honest, I realize this is not Ubuntu's "fault" but the fact that I had stable wireless for several versions and then all of a sudden I don't is frustrating, especially considering that the drivers were added to the kernel but apparently with little testing outside a WEP connection at 54Mb.

I'll keep posting as I go and let you all know my results.

Thanks for all the support.

Hank
    "I think I will call 3.11 Linux for Workgroups." - Linus Torvalds

Beans

I can confirm that the 3.0 rc4 and rc5 kernels work much better but I still regularly, although less frequently, get deauths so that instead if being unusable, it is now only annoying.

The 3.0 kernel has other problems for me. There are some boot up warnings/errors and mounting USB drives is broken.

Toshiba L675-S7107.

Beans

I am currently using the driver from compat-wireless-3.0-rc4-1.tar.bz2. It passes the YouTube test and I've been happily surfing for a few hours without issue.

Code:
    me@laptop:~$ modinfo rtl8192se
    filename:       /lib/modules/2.6.38-8-generic/updates/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192se/rtl8192se.ko
    firmware:       rtlwifi/rtl8192sefw.bin
    description:    Realtek 8192S/8191S 802.11n PCI wireless
    license:        GPL
    author:         Realtek WlanFAE	<wlanfae@realtek.com>
    author:         lizhaoming	<chaoming_li@realsil.com.cn>
    srcversion:     937F4C8CF0D06038BBDF950

me@laptop:~$ uname -a
    Linux Satellite-L500 2.6.38-8-generic #42-Ubuntu SMP Mon Apr 11 03:31:50 UTC 2011 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Just thought I would post my final results.

Anyone out there with a draft n router (in my case Belkin) you WILL have issues with the 8192/92se cards in Linux.

After countless hours wasted the Belkin/Realtek combo just does not work. I can get a more stable connection if I set my router to WPA Personal TKIP (not WPA2 AES) and to a/b/g (no n) but still flaky, not to mention the Belkin will ONLY connect at n speeds if you use WPA2/AES anyway...

Solution for me was to grab an old Linksys 54g router, load dd-wrt on it and run it in bridge mode to my Belkin, that way all my other n devices can connect to the Belkin SSID and get full n speed and my Linux box can connect at g speeds to the Linksys on another SSID.

Crappy solution to be sure as the same card in Windows connects at n with no issues or drops, my opinion is that draft n (not sure about n in general) with the WPA/AES combo is just not stable in Linux but this is conjecture.

Also decided to move to another Distro on this box, not just because of this issue but a few others as well. But have no fear you are all still stuck with me anyway as I have four other Ubuntu boxes in the house.

Cheers,

Hank
    "I think I will call 3.11 Linux for Workgroups." - Linus Torvalds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by thejpster View Post
    I am currently using the driver from compat-wireless-3.0-rc4-1.tar.bz2. It passes the YouTube test and I've been happily surfing for a few hours without issue.
    So far so good with compat-wireless-3.0-rc4-1.tar.bz2 as well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kozimodo View Post
    So far so good with compat-wireless-3.0-rc4-1.tar.bz2 as well.
    Can confirm that this has worked great for me so far.

However, I did need to add an entry saying "modprobe rtl8192se" to /etc/modules to make it load automatically.

Beans

Hi,
    glad to hear something is working again.
    Can someone give me easy to follow directions for how to use the driver found in that tarbal?

i browsed the compat site and am more confused than before.

thanks
    -gilad

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast