Thread: Empathy doing audio/video for msn protocol

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Empathy doing audio/video for msn protocol

Good morning,

I've been looking online and found nowhere stating that empathy can do video/audio for msn protocol.

I have 2 young daughters at home and all their friends use this protocol. If I want to reach to them with Linux (since I pretty much have only that at home), I would need this ability.

So anybody knows why it's not possible to have video/audio with msn protocol on empathy?

What is blocking us?

thanks

Nico
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans

Re: Empathy doing audio/video for msn protocol

If you google, this comes up:

http://d0od.blogspot.com/2009/09/empathy-msn-video.html

However, a simpler way to use msn on linux is to install amsn (its in the repositories) which supports almost all of the msn features.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

yes I know I was searching again just moments ago and I saw the news. Just as I was wondering haha. This is pretty fresh. Cool

Thanks also for the amsn tip.

I will have a look at all that.

Nico
    Linux cheat sheet

If you can't afford to loose it, if you don't know how to get it back: back it up.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I guess that the real solution for that is either virtualbox or a partition.

With amsn I can send webcam, but no audio.
    Esos son mis 2 centavos.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Jesus_Valdez View Post
    I guess that the real solution for that is either virtualbox or a partition.

With amsn I can send webcam, but no audio.
    Meebo can do audio and video on any network, using Tokbox as an intermediary (if the other person isn't on Meebo, they get sent a link to Tokbox). It works well enough for me, as long as Flash supports your webcam on Linux.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Meebo can do audio and video on any network, using Tokbox as an intermediary (if the other person isn't on Meebo, they get sent a link to Tokbox). It works well enough for me, as long as Flash supports your webcam on Linux.

hello, can you give us you webcam model and a little screenshot of your webcam used in action on flashe based site like tokbox or other;

thanks in advance

bye

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by yyka View Post
    hello, can you give us you webcam model and a little screenshot of your webcam used in action on flashe based site like tokbox or other;
    Nobody else with a webcam on tonight so I can't give a screenshot.

You're not going to like this: My webcam is an OEM-branded one that you're unlikely to find outside Australia. It's a **** Smith's (**** Smith's is an electronics store down here). It was actually marked with "Supports Linux kernel 2.6.26 and later" and, as I suspected, it's a UVC-based cam.

Lsusb identifies it as a Microdia. That's literally all the human-readable information it gives. Here's the link on the **** Smith's website:

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.st...ct/View/XH1981
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ndefontenay View Post
    Good morning,

I've been looking online and found nowhere stating that empathy can do video/audio for msn protocol.

I have 2 young daughters at home and all their friends use this protocol. If I want to reach to them with Linux (since I pretty much have only that at home), I would need this ability.

So anybody knows why it's not possible to have video/audio with msn protocol on empathy?

What is blocking us?

thanks

Nico
    hello, IT's now work

proove it ... "yeah"

http://cass.no-ip.com/~cassidy/blog/...t-in-Telepathy

best regards

action:

Beans

hello 3rdalbum

as we can say, it's a generic webcam

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Meebo is what I use too.
    It is webased. So you can acess it from the webrowser.
    It can connect to MSN and Yahoo etc at the same time.