Thread: Laptop Monitor or Nvidia Card Issue

Beans

Laptop Monitor or Nvidia Card Issue

Hello,

I have an issue with my laptop. The laptop is an alienware m17x and when I try to install the drivers for the nvidia card I get a blank screen. I am able to ctrl-alt-f1, but nothing shows up on the screen. I think that the ctrl-alt-f1 is working because after hitting it I can do a ctrl-alt-del and it reboots the laptop. I have one 260M nvidia card that comes standard with the laptop, but it also has an integrated card for longer battery life (the integrated card works). I'd like to get the 3-d card working however so I can install some of the compiz effects, and get some of the larger resolutions working. I am curently dual booting windows and have been finding myself booting to windows a lot more than I had been doing with my last laptop. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: Laptop Monitor or Nvidia Card Issue

Quote Originally Posted by brentrubeck View Post
    Hello,

I have an issue with my laptop. The laptop is an alienware m17x and when I try to install the drivers for the nvidia card I get a blank screen. I am able to ctrl-alt-f1, but nothing shows up on the screen. I think that the ctrl-alt-f1 is working because after hitting it I can do a ctrl-alt-del and it reboots the laptop. I have one 260M nvidia card that comes standard with the laptop, but it also has an integrated card for longer battery life (the integrated card works). I'd like to get the 3-d card working however so I can install some of the compiz effects, and get some of the larger resolutions working. I am curently dual booting windows and have been finding myself booting to windows a lot more than I had been doing with my last laptop. Any help would be greatly appreaciated. Thanks.

I also have this problem with my M17X. i just set up a dual boot. what i found works temporarily is to disable discreet graphics in the BIOS so the system is just using the 260M. not a great solution, i hope to find a better fix in the future because its a pain in the butt to go into the BIOS all the time to change stuff around just to get full functionality in winblows.
    if it aint broke, fix it