Thread: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

Beans

Re: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

Ubuntu 11.04 have support for ipod nano 5g now via Rhythmbox

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

rhythmbox won't work for my ipod in Ubuntu 11.04 I can edit it and play music off of it but nothing actually happens to my ipod

Beans

The patch provided by Okiura didn't work for me, it caused errors during compile. I did however get my iPod Nano 5g working after using some instructions from this forum and tinkering around. This is how I got it to work on Kubuntu 11.04:

1. Make sure your iPod has been initialised on Windows to make the filesystem FAT32.

2. Follow these instructions from stefanadelbert to re-compile and install lastest git source version of libgpod and gtkpod:

Quote Originally Posted by stefanadelbert View Post
    Here is an extract from the INSTALL file which is part of the gtkpod source:

Code:
    The following steps were necessary to install libgpod and gtkpod on a fairly virgin Ubuntu Hardy (LTS 8.04) installation.

# required packages
    sudo apt-get install autoconf flex gettext libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libglade2-dev libid3tag0-dev libxml-parser-perl pkg-config automake gcc git-core gtk-doc-tools

# recommended packages
    sudo apt-get install libcurl4-dev libflac-dev libgnomevfs2-dev libhal-dev libvorbis-dev libmp4v2-dev

# checkout libgpod and gtkpod
    git clone git://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/gtkpod/libgpod
    git clone git://gtkpod.git.sourceforge.net/gitroot/gtkpod/gtkpod

# compile libgpod
    cd libgpod/
    ./autogen.sh
    make
    sudo make install

# compile gtkpod
    cd ../gtkpod/
    cd libgpod/
    ./autogen.sh
    make
    sudo make install

#start gtkpod
    gtkpod &
    Make sure that you have installed all the dependencies (see the two sudo apt-get install commands).

It's probably best to build your own just to make sure that you're building against exactly the right versions of the various libraries for your system.
    3. Mount your iPod and open a terminal and type in: "sudo lsusb -v | grep -i Serial" without the quotes. Then you will see a 16-character-long hash. On your iPod navigate to the iPod_Control/Device folder and open or create a file named "SysInfo". Open this up in a text editor and type in: FirewireGuid: 0x... and paste that hash in (do not omit the 0x). For example - FirewireGuid: 0x000A27001301221F. Save the file.

4. Get a HashInfo file for your device from here by typing in the FirewireGuid you got above. Place it in iPod_Control/Device folder.

5. That should be all there is to it! If you fire up gtkpod you should be able to transfer songs to your iPod 5g. NOTE: It may be possible this works without recompiling libgpod and gtkpod in natty. I only noticed the HashInfo file requirement after I had recompiled.

6. If you want to use Amarok to manage your iPod - you need to get Amarok to detect it as an iPod rather than a mass storage device (Apparently this used to work in KDE < 4.6).

7. Type in a terminal:

Code:
    udevadm info --export-db | less
    There is a lot of output, your looking for any sections relating to your iPod. Particularly, the section that shows the data partition, in my case /dev/sdc1 (yours maybe /dev/sdb1, etc). Once you find this section, look for the line "ID_FS_UUID" and copy the ID that's with this.

8. Open /lib/udev/rules.d/90_ligpod.rules with a text editor as root. Paste this line at the bottom:

Code:
    ENV{ID_FS_UUID}=="<ID_YOU_COPIED>", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL} ="iPod_<your_name>", ENV{ID_FS_LABEL_ENC} = "iPod_<your_name>"
    Replace <ID_YOU_COPIED> with the ID you got from the output of udevadm and replace <your_name> with, well... your name! The name MUST start with "ipod_" or it won't work.

9. Unplug and reconnect your iPod and it should now work with Amarok! You will see it should connect as "iPod_<your_name>".

That's it, hopefully this will work for others. Unfortunately, album art does not transfer using Amarok for me. But it works using gtkpod (which is strange as they both use libgpod).
    Last edited by DL3wis; June 19th, 2011 at 03:19 AM.

Beans
    Distro

No success, like before I can open and transfer songs etc. but none of it actually takes effect on my ipod. The only change I've managed to make was I added a different album cover to the iPod but it didn't go to the right album. I had the idea of opening up GParted and making an ext3 partition then installing Ipod-Linux on it though i'm not sure if this would work and I don't wanna ruin my iPod. If I can have a guarantee it will work I'll clear my iPod completely and put only ext3 on my iPod but again I need some kind of positive reasoning or confirmation.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

Hi all.

I have the same problem here.
    Last edited by Zenuno; June 24th, 2011 at 06:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro

@DL3wis never mind it works now!!!!!!! Thanks a million, I guess I just had to restart the computer for it to work, I owe you big time

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

@DL3wis, thank you SO much!!! This worked perfectly on my iPod Nano 5g with Ubuntu 11.04!! I can sync it right from Banshee now with no problems, album art and everything!

Beans

Talking Re: Ipod Nano 5G with linux?

@DL3wis is a hero. Works fine with my setup:
    vbox Ubuntu 11.04, 5thGen Nano and Banshee (testing at work, for deployment at home!) [which reminds me, I must move my wubi install to a permanent partition...]

Thanks!!

Beans

Hey guys -

New Ubuntu user here. I can confirm that this worked with my iPod Nano (5G) and Ubuntu 11.04. I can now put songs on my iPod using Banshee. Sweet!

Thanks for everyone's help!

-Ajay

Beans

anyone having issues with:

checking for LIBANJUTA... no
    configure: error: in `/home/sr-said/gtkpod':
    configure: error: *** No package 'libanjuta-1.0' found
    See `config.log' for more details

i have libanjuta but it's the 2.bla bla version n i think thats the problem

someone with a solution?

i'm on Oneiric Ocelot...
    Last edited by lolipopo; November 24th, 2011 at 01:39 AM.

Page 34 of 35 FirstFirst ... 2432333435 LastLast