Thread: VDPAU install went wrong

Beans

VDPAU install went wrong

Hi,

I tried installing VDPAU but something went wrong and now I can't get Mplayer working no mater what I try. so far I have tried installing Mplayer with VDPAU support using the avenard repository and this how to. I have tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it from the regular repository. I cant get it to launch from the menu or from a terminal, it will start in Myth only to play a SD file but there will be no sound.
    Ultimately I would like to have Mplayer working with VDPAU support, but for starters I would be happy ifI could get my system back to the way it used to be.

Thanks,

Trev

Beans

Re: VDPAU install went wrong

Hi trevs.bronco,

I am not sure if I can offer any advice on your broken install of MPlayer but I have published a well-tested guide on these forums that should at least get you a working copy of MPlayer, minus vdpau,:

HowTo: Install the very latest MPlayer under Jaunty Jackalope
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1081070

Just make sure that you have emptied your system of all copies of MPlayer to start with.

Andrew
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: VDPAU install went wrong

You may need to delete your ~/.mplayer directory (Back it up first, of course, just in case)
    When I fist installed mplayer with VDPAU support, the settings would cause mplayer to segfault.

Also, you may want to consider making a new .mplayer directory with a config file, with the following in it:

Code:
    [default]
    vo=vdpau                         # Force VDPAU out
    vc=ffmpeg12vdpau,ffwmv3vdpau,ffvc1vdpau,ffh264vdpau,    #Prioritize VDPAU codecs
    framedrop=1                        #Allow frame discards
    (That trailing comma on the vc= line is important, it is permission for mplayer to skip on to other codecs should the vdpau codecs not be appropriate for the file you're asking it to play.)
    Jill has left these forums due to ongoing double-standards in rule enforcement.