Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire one, how well does it run with ubuntu?

Beans

Acer Aspire one, how well does it run with ubuntu?

hello. I saw the price of an Acer Aspire one (its only freaking $270 canadian! damn thats a nice price!), and I can see it easily working for my needs. only thing is im DEFINATELY not going to use linplus(eww, its super restrictive) or windows on it. what I need to know is, how well does it work with ubuntu?

what I absolutely need to work:
    Wireless internet connections
    Sound (via the headphones out)

I dont care about the 3G connectability, or much else in it for that for that matter.

if anyone has ubuntu running on one, ide really like to know how well it does, and if these things work well.

EDIT: durr, i forgot to post which model:
    http://www.acer.ca/acer/product.do?l...rAjaxHistory=0
    its the 10.1 version
    Last edited by d3drocks; September 14th, 2009 at 08:49 PM. Reason: forgot to link to the model

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Acer Aspire one, how well does it run with ubuntu?

I have the D150 model and it works perfectly. Everything worked on install including WiFi, the webcam, sound, everything. The only glitch I have been able to find is that suspend and resume doesn't detect the close of the lid properly. If you press the button or tell it to suspend in the gui it works fine though. Runs way better than the preinstalled XP did.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CoolHand View Post
    I have the D150 model and it works perfectly. Everything worked on install including WiFi, the webcam, sound, everything. The only glitch I have been able to find is that suspend and resume doesn't detect the close of the lid properly. If you press the button or tell it to suspend in the gui it works fine though. Runs way better than the preinstalled XP did.
    thanks for that. hopefully it will work the same with the model im looking at. ide assume so, because they all must have simmilar parts, no?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by d3drocks View Post
    thanks for that. hopefully it will work the same with the model im looking at. ide assume so, because they all must have simmilar parts, no?
    They all seem pretty comparable with the major difference being the processor. They have gone up a notch on the internals which just makes them a bit faster. I will add that I upgraded my ram to 2G and swapped the 160G 5400RPM drive for a 200G 7200RPM that I had already. The extra ram definitely helps. It runs fine without if you limit your apps a bit but if you intend to watch youtube videos or things like that I suggest you add the extra gig. It only cost me $20 at the time for the 2G card.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Wink Re: Acer Aspire one, how well does it run with ubuntu?

Hello there!

I am running Ubuntu NBR 9.04 on my Acer Aspire One and I could not be more satisfied. Some minor tweaking here and there to fine tune everything, but it is far better than WinXP (btw I used to run WinXP until it crashed and would not start and nearly cost me hundreds of work related e-mails).
    Sound and Wireless worked out of the box!

Good Luck!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by svasilis View Post
    Hello there!

I am running Ubuntu NBR 9.04 on my Acer Aspire One and I could not be more satisfied. Some minor tweaking here and there to fine tune everything, but it is far better than WinXP (btw I used to run WinXP until it crashed and would not start and nearly cost me hundreds of work related e-mails).

Good Luck!
    GREAT!
    I couldnt be more happy to hear that.
    im gunna have to back up the XP install though, because its worth money, and If I decide to sell the netbook, its good to have.
    I cant wait to get it now

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Quote Originally Posted by svasilis View Post
    Hello there!

Good Luck!
    Anyone have any input on which version of Ubuntu works best out of the box? Unfortunately I do not feel I have time to sit down and devote enough attention to make the latest version work if alot of tweaking is involved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just documented my experience with the Aspire. I'm very happy with it, it runs smoothly and quickly. Video playback is great, the keyboard is nice, browsing is smooth. It did take some configuring though. Hope this helps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=acer+aspire

Beans

anyone know of duel booting or wubi is ok on the aspire? I know thats a bizarre question,but I have a friend who is getting one as well, and doesnt want to completely remove windows, because he doesnt know how he would reinstall it.

Quote Originally Posted by gloken View Post
    I just documented my experience with the Aspire. I'm very happy with it, it runs smoothly and quickly. Video playback is great, the keyboard is nice, browsing is smooth. It did take some configuring though. Hope this helps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=acer+aspire
    thank you

I plan to get the aspire in the next few days. I will read up on that. I'll have to get an ubuntu bootable USB drive (all my USB drives are this U3 system crap and are not bootable).

Beans

i have the d250 and im dual booting off windows xp and ubuntu for netbooks it runs great the only problem i have so far is i cant figure out how to get the wireless driver to work on ubuntu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast