Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible to watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine

Yep It's a DRM issue. As for me I don't care I just want my functionality. we wouldnt have all those cool special effects if nobody was making a profit from movies. that said i"m also glad decss got cracked so i can watch my legally rented movie on my linux laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I swear, I have never seen so many people give so many detailed step by step instructions for making something not work. Anyone who has spent five minutes trying to find a way to do Netflix in Linux knows: you can't. It's not a tech problem, it's a legal issue. That's it. If you find a way, by all means share it. Until then, please put a sock in it. No more misleading thread headings, Netflix/M$ bashing (I loathe Microsoft as much as the next no-account geek, but c'mon, for once it's not their fault), and jack-off theoretical musings. Just stop. Please.

I won't apologize for the rant either. This is the gazillionth Google hit to a solution-implying thread, and I'm clearly not impeding ANY productive work.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Why re-invent the wheel? Watch your Netflix movies in XP and enjoy the show!
    Badges? We ain't got no badges. We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges!
    Adventures In Linux

Beans

Re: Is it possible to watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine?

Did my browser just step through a wormhole. I think I need more sleep.

Beans

Re: Is it possible to watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine?

[rant]
    Why is this thread marked as solved when obviously it is not?

Also, why do people insist on posting stuff like "you can't do that", "it will never work" or "just use windows"? Honestly, if you are not going to contribute something meaningful towards an actual solution, just keep it to yourself. Persistence and determination are the cornerstone of discovery and it is disheartening to read such negative and stifling remarks when there are those who may be on to something that potentially may benefit the entire linux using community as a whole. I for one am not entirely convinced that this is not possible to achieve and will continue to remain so until I get a much more technically detailed explanation as to why this is allegedly impossible to accomplish.
    [/rant]

Update: I read somewhere else to try the following:
    Download silverlight into wine, go to userstyle.org download the userscript that forces silverlight to run, change the code directory to point to the .exe in the wine partition. It should work then.

I shall return with the results of this endeavor.
    Last edited by bleys2112; May 15th, 2011 at 05:38 PM.

Beans

Talking Re: Is it possible to watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by bleys2112 View Post
    [rant]

Also, why do people insist on posting stuff like "you can't do that", "it will never work" or "just use windows"? Honestly, if you are not going to contribute something meaningful towards an actual solution, just keep it to yourself. ...
    [/rant]
    Well done sir!!

We wouldn't have the wonderful tool that is get_iplayer for the Beeb without a bit (well a lot actually) of perseverance on the part of Phil Lewis (original developer). It's actually got a better interface then the real BBC iPlayer app. (Never mind the fact I don't have to deal with all that flash garbage...)

Good luck with your Netflix endeavours... Down with evil MS DRM...

Bob

Beans

The problem isn't DRM support for Netflix on Linux. The problem is licensing from the entertainment companies for their content to be played on linux. This comes directly from Netflix. They actually could get some companies to license their titles for linux but according to them there would be very few titles. Netflix really does not hate linux users.

Beans

Talking Re: Is it possible to watch Netflix "watch instantly" under XP's Firefox under Wine?

Quote Originally Posted by Xinux6 View Post
    The problem isn't DRM support for Netflix on Linux. The problem is licensing from the entertainment companies for their content to be played on linux. This comes directly from Netflix. They actually could get some companies to license their titles for linux but according to them there would be very few titles. Netflix really does not hate linux users.
    Ah. Is that simply due to size of the Linux user base? I am slightly puzzled - what difference does the OS make - a US subscriber is still a US subscriber - no?

The equivalent of Netflix - LoveFilm - in the UK probably doesn't have the scale (of users). They only offer very low quality streaming. But at least it is via a cross-platform Flash plugin...

Yours in ignorance (in the UK)...
    Bob

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bleys2112 View Post
    [rant]

Also, why do people insist on posting stuff like "you can't do that", "it will never work" or "just use windows"? Honestly, if you are not going to contribute something meaningful towards an actual solution, just keep it to yourself. Persistence and determination are the cornerstone of discovery and it is disheartening to read such negative and stifling remarks when there are those who may be on to something that potentially may benefit the entire linux using community as a whole. I for one am not entirely convinced that this is not possible to achieve and will continue to remain so until I get a much more technically detailed explanation as to why this is allegedly impossible to accomplish.
    [/rant]

Update: I read somewhere else to try the following:
    Download silverlight into wine, go to userstyle.org download the userscript that forces silverlight to run, change the code directory to point to the .exe in the wine partition. It should work then.

I shall return with the results of this endeavor.
    I agree with cleopete on this one. I have also never seen people posting so many detailed steps to not get something to work. The steps and the detail are then pretty pointless. Nobody has even gotten cruddy, choppy video to work - so nobody has really gotten "close". (The spinning blue thing is not "close" any more than a splash screen but nothing more is "close".)

I'm glad I stumbled on this thread early into my attempts to get Netflix to run on Wine! Saved me a whole bunch of hassle.

And please people, bashing companies that don't support their products on Linux is tiresome (and really really old...and insufferably unrealistic). Linux has an infinitesimal share of the target market for most mainstream applications. Period. (And IMO for some fairly good technical and usability reasons, above and beyond just not having millions for marketing. Most humans just don't appreciate "free as in beer and speech" like "we" do, they'd rather it just work without compiling their own stuff and hacking drivers and messing with xorg.conf and writing shell scripts.)

If and until the market share numbers change - and/or until mainstream apps go fully HTML5/Javascript/locally cached "cloud"-based; then Linux just is not going to run many mainstream apps painlessly. (At least not without the valiant Wine efforts...which virtualization in some future form or another may eventually [unfortunately IMO] render moot. It already does more or less for me [all machines have 8-16 gb RAM specifically for virtualization], with the exception of VirtualBox reliably crashing on my Ubuntu 10.10 macbook.)

(While I'm ranting - another completely unfounded yarn I'm sick of hearing: "Your hardware problems are caused by Linux/BSD/etc. being a more advanced OS and working your machine harder.")
    --"This is just an example; it might be better."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Google wants Netflix to work into their ChromeOS. That basically will mean some sort of HTML5 plug-in for the browser. And that would bring it to Linux.

Maybe not as fast as we all want, but I think it will happen. Read this article.

Regards.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast