Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How important is eyecandy to you?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

How important is eyecandy to you?

Do you consider lots of bells and whistles important? Lots of pretty images and stunning desktops?

Personally I've never been a big fan of all the fanciness. I just want the computer to work and work right. For example, when Windows NT was in its prime, I was a big fan. Basic, simple desktop. Even now on my Windows XP setup, I've got it set to the "Classic Windows" theme with no background and all the other bells and whistles turned off. Same with my Ubuntu and SUSE setups.

Obviously, there are no right or wrong answers to this. I'm just curious how much importance everyone places on all the eyecandy that is available to different OS's out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Re: How important is eyecandy to you?

I like the option... I did the same when I had windows XP but I was just trying to squeeze every ounce of performance out of it.

I believe there are quite a few topics on eye candy, you should check those out as a lot of people have already voiced their opinion on eye candy.
    Do or do not there is no try - Yoda

Beans
    Hidden!

yeah this is another redone thread, but im really more about function than form. i like my computer to be the most efficient possible. i have 1 GB of memory, so i could run that stuff with no problems, but i just prefer to not have my laptop crank the fans on all the time (which is a problem this has, 686-smp made it better but not best). i use XFCE and the only eye candy i use is a wallpaper every once in a while, which isnt even "eye candy" at all,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

A bit. But not über important, mostly the eyecandy I use I set it up so I get an easier desktop which fits my needs.

Beans

Very important as it makes computing a more enjoyable experiance often.

But each to their own.
    Those folks who try to impose analog rules on digital content will find themselves on the wrong side of the tidal wave.
    - Mark Shuttleworth

Beans
    Hidden!

Although I like eyecandy, I choose speed and functionality over eyecandy. Unfortunately, to me, a fully functional desktop means using Gnome, which isn't the speediest DE around :/.
    Sylvia: Look at what you've done to him!
    Christof: I have given Truman the chance to lead a normal life. The world, the place you live in, is the sick place.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Depending, laptop has no eyecandy cuz I want it to be as cool as possible and have the most battery life. Plus I never see the screen if I'm not working on it.
    Desktop I like to have eyecandy on cuz I will see the monitor when I'm not working on it. Even more important if you use dual head.
    Since I get asked alot, I am originally from Ukraine but am Russian by nationality. My nick means specter in Russian.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Very much. I want my desktop to look cool.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I try to strike a fine balance between eye-candy and usefulness.

THat's why I use XFCE
    "Who is THE DRIZZLE?"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Wink Re: How important is eyecandy to you?

It depends. If it's eyecandy that makes interfaces look weird (like an alien console out of a sci-fi movie), buttons unlabled and moved around, I'm totally against it.

If it makes things less snappy, I greatly dislike that.

Like the animations in clearlooks (if you are in dapper and enable it on).
    I don't mind the bar animation (i.e. volume bar), the animation I dislike is the fade in and out of checks in the checkbox.
    I click it twice thinking my first click missed. Anything like this, fades, delays, that make things seem slower, boo.

As for stuff that looks cool, I guess it's neat to have but if it visibily lowers performance (or eats a lot of juice on a laptop let's say), I may prefer to do without it.

As for the other stuff, if it aids usuability I'd be interested. If someone can mention what aids usuability...

For some of the eyecandy I like, I guess it would be transparency. It may sort of benefit usuability, perhaps having tvtime transparent while I surf... Currently I move the little "tv box" around if it covers a link or "x" button =)
    The idea of copyright did not exist in ancient times, when authors frequently copied other authors at length in works of non-fiction. This practice was useful, and is the only way many authors' works have survived even in part. -- Richard Stallman

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast