Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to unlock default keyring

Beans

how to unlock default keyring

every time I log on I get a popup that says that the network manager applet wants access to the default key ring but is being blocked, this is preventing me from getting on the internet.

What password I'm I supposed to enter? I've tried both the WEP key and my root password, but neither work.

Beans

Re: how to unlock default keyring

Could I get some help with this? It'd be really nice to use the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Your ordinary user password will unlock your user keyring.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

That tutorial is outdated, and completely pointless when it comes to latest Ubuntu releases. Ubuntu already unlocks the keyring automatically if you use normal login (with a login pasword).

Still, there are couple of things to know:

The keyring password is set to same as login password, but if you change the login password at later time you need to change keyring password manually.

If you use automatic login, the keyring won't be unlocked automatically and therefore first time some program tries to use it you'll be prompted to type the password to unlock it. If you don't like to do that, you have to either enable the normal login again, or remove password from your keyring. Removing the keyring password is less secure, but if you are using automatic login you probably aren't too worried about security anyway.

Here's how to remove the keyring password:

1. open the keyring manager (Applications/Accessories/Passwords and Encryption Keys)

2. Go to Edit/Preferences

3. On the Password Keyrings-tab select the "Passwords:login"-keyring & click "Change Unlock Password"

Now you can change the keyring password. If you use normal login set the password to same as your login password is to unlock the keyring automatically. If you use automatic login leave the new password fields empty to remove the keyring password.

edit: If you are using 9.04 (or later), the setting is in different place. It's immediately in the main window, in the Passwords-tab, so no need to go to Edit/Preferences..
    Last edited by mcduck; September 15th, 2009 at 07:46 AM.

Beans

I went to the keyrings manager, and edit > preferences didn't have a passwords tab, but the main manager window tab did, so I opened it and it had passwords:login. I right clicked on it, the menu had both "unlock" and "change password" and I clicked both, but neither one did anything, is there a way to do it through the terminal?

Beans

OK an update, I hit deny in the popup box asking for the password until it went away, then entered

nm-applet

In the terminal. At first it tried to get me to change the password in the password:login key, but when I don't know what that was, so I hit deny again, eventually I read

** (nm-applet:6612): DEBUG: applet_common_device_state_changed
    ** (nm-applet:6612): DEBUG: old state indicates that this was not a disconnect 0
    ** (nm-applet:6612): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb
    ** (nm-applet:6612): DEBUG: foo_client_state_changed_cb

and then my internet started working again, but now I've got to keep the terminal running all the time or my internet freeezes again

Beans

i think you should just start over.
    right click nm-applet-> edit connections
    select the wireless tab
    click on the wireless name & delete it

that should set you back to scratch were you can enter your wep key & leave the key manager blank when it asks.

Beans

McDucks solution worked for me, but step 2 was a bit confusing. You just open the "Passwords and encryption keys"-manager like stated in step 1, then just click the tab named Password, then right click the "password" entry and choose "Change password". Enter your password and leave the "new password"-field blank. Save and restart computer to test. Wifi should now open it self without nagging about the password.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

worked like a charm

Maybe I am missing something, but having to do this seems pointless to me. If I have auto login then obviously I am not concerned with physical security, I wonder if it would be possible to make the keyring blank by default if auto login is enabled during the install.
    Ubuntu user # 16518 Registered Linux user # 458844
    Don't run any command with rm unless you know what you're doing. Read this for more information.
    Dialup or no internet on your Ubuntu box? Have no fear, Keryx is here! Keryx Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast