Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Beans

Re: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

fcaldera.. I'm not worried about the printer not scanning and printing locally. What I'm wondering is whether the wireless part of the printer is actually working completely (rather than just syncing to an access point). If there's another machine that uses Canon's released drivers, over the wireless link, and can successfully print, then it rules out the wireless hardware in the printer. If that system also has problems printing, then it could be something internal to the printer.

jer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

fcaldera, I agree with jmcvey. You need to rule out the wireless issue. You mentioned you also have a laptop. Is it Windows or do you have any dual boot systems that you can install the printer drivers on just to test connectivity?

My network uses DHCP for all the devices including the printer and I've never had any problems connecting to it. It doesn't display IP address anywhere in the setup. It just shows the MAC address. The same is true for the scangear software.

By the way, if you set the MP560 up as WiFi you can't plug a USB cable into it. That will stop it dead in its tracks. It will work only one way or the other (WiFi or Wired). Also, if you are using any WiFi protection schemes (WEP, WPA or WPA2) you may want to verify you keyed them into the printer network wizard correctly. If the printer is setup correctly for WiFi use, it will identify itself as "MP560_Ver.3.20" where you add printers. If it thinks it is USB it identifies itself as "MP560_Series". I made the mistake of plugging in the USB cable trying to get the scanner to work with XSane and a bubble opened in the upper right saying "New MP560 Series printer detected". If you did this and try to print, the same thing you described will happen. It acts like it is going to print and then a few seconds later it will fail with an error message. You need to go into System/Administration/Printing and remove the "MP560_Series" driver that was installed by inserting the USB cable.

Rif
    Last edited by RifRaf1961; November 24th, 2009 at 12:02 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I see everyone is avoiding the Scanning function of the MP560. It will not detect with XSane for me at all. XSane keeps defaulting to my TV capture card and won't detect the MP560. Since I'm seldom happy with a raw scan anyway, I prefer scanning into an image editing program, such as Gimp. It is a simple matter of using the MP560 with Gimp.

First you must install the Scangearmp drivers like you did for the printer part.

Then load Gimp and File/Acquire/ScanGear MP... The first time you do it (or if you turn the printer off) you will get a "No Scanners Detected" message. Okay that and you should be prompted with a Select Scanner dialog box. Just press "Update Scanner List" and "Canon MP560 Series (MAC Address)" will be detected. Press Okay and you get the ScanGear tool. From there it is pretty obvious what to do. Select the source type (ie; color photo), set the destination and output size if you want and just Press Preview, use the left mouse button to make a crop window around the image and then press the scan button.

Your image will open in Gimp where you can improve the image to your liking and then save it (or copy and paste to another application). If you have multiple images to scan you can minimize the ScanGear tool between images so you don't have to keep acquiring it each time.

Give it a try... it works great!

Rif

Beans

Rifraf, i never used USB to connect to mp560. I only tried wireless. My laptop has only Ubuntu 9.10 and no other OS.

My wireless has no WiFi encryption/protection, no dhcp, but static IP for each device
    Firewall has no rule, and by default it forwards all received packet

this is what i see when I enter the printer IP :

Printer Name: Canon MP560 series
    Firmware Version: 1.030
    Network Printer Name: MP560LAN
    Bonjour Service Name: Canon MP560 series _3DA552000000

LAN Connection Type: Wireless LAN / IPv4
    MAC Address: 00-1E-8F-3D-A5-52
    IP Address: 192.168.1.35
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

Network Type: Infrastructure
    SSID: ZyXEL
    Encryption Method: Do not use

Signal Strength: 56%
    Link Quality: 70%
    Transmission Rate: 54 Mbps

printer is identified as "Canon MP560 series Ver.3.20"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

a freind of mine has a cannon printer 520, does ubuntu play with this printer nicely?

thanks to all

Beans

Trixman..

That same site (the Canon Asian site) has drivers for Pixma 520. Looks similar to what's available for the 560 so I'd think if you downloaded the 'common' and then the particular file, do the install for both of those, you should be able to get it working. Can't help more since I don't have one to play with, but see if that gets you moving.

Jer

Beans

fcaldera.. okay, from what you posted that's the web interface of the printer. To that end, it would seem you have network connectivity to the printer itself. I'm also assuming this is from a browser on your laptop so that means Ubuntu can "see" the box.

Now, that leads to what is going on when you try to configure this using the Printing tool? I didn't realize that connecting an USB cable tends to mess up the configuration (thanks Rifraf for that bit of info; also for the scanner info, never got around to that but hopefully there's time this weekend). To be safe, I'd delete all Canon printers if any exist. Then add a new printer, it should go looking for it. With any luck if you look under the 'Network Printer' section in the Devices list there should now be an entry for 'Canon MP560 (Canon...'. Now if you click on this selection, if I recall correctly, it took about 10-15 seconds before anything seems to happen (the Wifi light on my laptop was flashing during this time but the Printer diaglogs looked like nothing was going on). Once it did come back, the right side of the dialog changed to a "Description: LPD network printer via DNS-SD". You can click the 'Forward' button at this point and then you'll go throw the configuration ending with a point to print a test page.

So, is this what you experience when you try to add this printer to Ubuntu after install the two files from .debs you downloaded from the Asian site?

jer

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I'm pretty new to Linux, and this has been the first post I've made here (have read many)

I have been able to get the MP560 to work great for printing using the steps provided by jmcvey. I also loaded up the ScanGear MP drivers and I can't get it to scan anything. I tried to use GIMP and XSANE, neither of which worked. I don't know if I am using a different version of GIMP than RifRaf, but it appears that the version I have uses the SANE backend for scanning. When I go to file, there is no option to "Acquire" so it doesn't appear I can scan directly into GIMP without using the SANE backend. The only device SANE picks up is a built in USB webcam. :/

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 64-Bit, GIMP 2.6.7

I guess I shouldn't be a baby... I have several other machines in the house that the scanner is working just fine on, but I would really like this machine to work as well...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by dam718 View Post
    I'm pretty new to Linux, and this has been the first post I've made here (have read many)

I have been able to get the MP560 to work great for printing using the steps provided by jmcvey. I also loaded up the ScanGear MP drivers and I can't get it to scan anything. I tried to use GIMP and XSANE, neither of which worked. I don't know if I am using a different version of GIMP than RifRaf, but it appears that the version I have uses the SANE backend for scanning. When I go to file, there is no option to "Acquire" so it doesn't appear I can scan directly into GIMP without using the SANE backend. The only device SANE picks up is a built in USB webcam. :/

I am using Ubuntu 9.10 64-Bit, GIMP 2.6.7

I guess I shouldn't be a baby... I have several other machines in the house that the scanner is working just fine on, but I would really like this machine to work as well...
    Hi!
    I have your same problem. That I think the blame is the use of drivers in our system 64 bit.
    In fact, here is the response of the terminal:

scangearmp
    scangearmp: error while loading shared libraries: libgimp-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    but this library is present in the system:

locate libgimp-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/libgimp-2.0.so.0
    /usr/lib/libgimp-2.0.so.0.600.7
    Now I try to download the same library (but compiled to 32-bit) and to copy it in /lib/32
    Last edited by superlex; December 11th, 2009 at 06:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

It Works!!
    You can download it here:

http://mirrors.kernel.org/ubuntu/poo...untu1_i386.deb

Then, you must extract it so:

Code:
    dpkg -x libgimp2.0_2.6.7-1ubuntu1_i386.deb .
    and you must transfer the libraries in /usr/lib32 .
    Last edited by superlex; December 11th, 2009 at 06:17 PM. Reason: wrong command

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast