Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Hello,

This is pure conjecture on my part.

I have a Canon Pixma printer and before I got the hang of how CUPS and XSane work,I sent an e mail to Canon. They replied that they did not support Linux architecture.

*Here is the conjecture. I suspect they had a change of heart for these two reasons:

1.HP does support Linux and informed customers might select HP over Canon because the former supports Linux.

2.When the world economy does start to recover,lots of of Atom 1.6 processors in those new netbook computers are going to be sold. While many of those will be loaded with XP,others will be loaded with bare bones Linux systems.

My guess is that many companies,including Canon,want to compete for accessory business and that will only help the availability of Linux support.

The next time I upgrade a video card,it will be nVidia,because they now support Linux on their site's driver's page.

-------

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thank you jmcvey! I followed your link to the Asian Canon driver site. These are the two links I followed to the EULA's with the driver download links at the very end of each page:

MP560 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.20 for Linux (debian ...
    MP560 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.20 for Linux (debian Packagearchive).
    support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100236502.html - 43

MP560 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.40 for Linux (debian ...
    MP560 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.40 for Linux (debian Packagearchive).
    support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100237802.html -41

I just double clicked the tar.gz files to extract the packages into folders. Then I installed the printer first by going into the folder that was created for it and double clicked the common .deb package first. It launched the package manager for me and I just followed the screens to the install button. I repeated the above on the other .deb package. After that it was simple to add the printer as normal (note: it will show up as a mp560 printer, not a pixma mp560 in the list). I was all smiles when the test page fired up the printer!

I did the same for the scanner and in no time I used Gimp to scan in a photo of my daughter. XSane still sees my TV capture card as the input device which is no problem because I'd rather scan right into Gimp anyway. I'll get around to fixing that later... maybe.

By the way, I am using it in WiFi mode with Ubuntu on a 32bit system so I didn't need to use force commands you pointed out. That is why I didn't even bother using terminal to install it. Just a few mouse clicks!

Thanks again!
    Rif

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

@jmcvey

Thanks.

I was able to wirelessly print. I'll take @RifRaf1961's word for the scanning

Thanks for trying it out and Thanks to Canon.

Beans

Has anyone been able to set this up that isn't using an i386 architecture?

Beans

Never mind, I read the instructions. Amazing how things work out better when you follow the instructions!

Beans

Angry Re: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Hi guys, this is my first post here so thank you in advance

I've installed the drivers for the MP560 from canon-asia site but I cannot print in wireless (and at the moment i can't verify via usb connection)

I extracted cnijfilter-mp560series-3.20-1-i386-deb.tar.gz, then the printer was correctly detected at local ip. My network has dinamic IP assignment (dhcp) so the IP of the printer is not always the same) and is referred with 'cnijnet:/00-1E-8F-3D-A5-52' uri.

The printer detects the local network and she's ready for print in wireless mode. I have an ACL for my network so I allowed in advance the mac address of my printer.

When I print the test page, printer is going to process the job (for a while) but suddenly it goes to 'idle' and cups reports a generic error ("error occurred while printing")

what could I verify yet? thank you

Beans

Couple of thoughts and a few suggestions..

1) You mention the one package for the printer but not the 'common' package. Did you install both? If not, try installing both and see if that fixes the problem.

2) Regardless of the package installations, if the printer is on the network, can you ping the printer via it's IP address? If not, there may be issues with the network.

2a) If you can't ping, can you try disabling all the ACL stuff and see if it works that way.
    2b) If you can ping, is there any way to fix the IP address so the printer is not changing. Generally it's a good idea to not have things like printers and servers get a random address each time they attach to the network.

For 2b I can't say if this is the problem but if I look at the printer setup on my system the device URI doesn't reference a MAC address or IP. I tend to think that there is some association made initially when first setting it up but if the IP of the printer is changing it may be the linux system can no longer find it where it thinks it should be. That leads to..

2c) Can you create another instance of the printer and see if it starts working. If it does, then fixing the random IP issue may be what's causing the problem.

I've a few other ideas but it's late (really late actually) and before I keep guessing at it I'd like to get a bit of feedback.

Best of luck.

Jer

Beans

Hi jer, thank you for you reply
    I've installed all drivers (common and mp560 specific in this exact order) both double-clicking and later using the script shell to install them.

I ping correctly the printer and I assigned a static IP address 192.168.1.35
    while laptop has always 192.168.1.33 Both are correctly detected by the router (192.168.1.1). (Maybe I should first assign a static IP and then install driver?)

I also disabled the ACL but the result doesn't change.

So now I'm in your "2c" case.

By the way, when I submit a job, the printer is detected for just a moment. in fact the printer display seems to have accepted the job, but after 5 seconds an error occured and printer returns to 'idle'.

Beans

fcaldera.. well, I'm a bit stumped by this. This may be a silly question, but do you have anything else that can print to this printer? (For me, my son has a Windows desktop so that made it easy to test if I had an OS related issue versus a printer issue if something didn't work). It would be good to know the printer is working over the wireless link before we possibly start down a dead-end path. (Which I tend to do quite a bit before I realize it so I don't want to send you down one if I can avoid that.)

Any chance you can test with another OS and see if the printer works. That way we could eliminate any issues on the printer side before delving deeper into the Linux side of this.

Jer

Beans

thank you jer,

the printer works for sure: i have already print some documents using the scanner function (like a photocopier) and I printed also the network information.

It could be that printer (bought here in Europe/italy) has some issues with asian drivers? Perhaps it could be a matter of wireless frequency?

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast