Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Beans

Re: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

I had real trouble setting up this printer with 64bit Mint 10rc. Eventually it worked, however. I have posted the process in my blog.

Beans

Smile Re: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Quote Originally Posted by jmcvey View Post
    If you check the Canon Asian site, they have drivers available (although the MP560 is the MP568 on the site; once you get to the driver page it states "MP560").

Actually, here:

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P...os&ca_os=Linux

Look for:

MP560 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.20 for Linux (debian ...

and download the file.

Use Archive manager to extract the file and then look inside the directory it created. There should be a "packages" directory with 2 .deb files.

You can use dpkg to install the files (install the common file first) and if you're on a 64-bit system use the force option to make it work (that's why I had to use dpkg in the first place).

So you issue:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-mp560series_3.20-1_i386.deb

Then use the Printer configuration tool to add the new printer.

I use the Pixma over it's wireless connection and the printer tool found it and installed it without a problem once the steps above were done. Printed a test page and then a couple of documents. So far it handles the basic printing tasks without a problem.

Haven't tried the other software available on that site (that's for this weekend) but looks like there's a scanner package as well that I'll see if I can get working.

Jer
    Thanks alot for this post. This worked as a charm on my asus eee 1000h with ubuntu 10.10

Beans

I havr the MP560 drivers and is working wireless. On my computer in Ubuntu 10.4. I forgot where I got them. I will send a link of just make a mediafire link real quick for you guys. But I have the actaul driver for it and works perfectly. I do not know however if it works under Ubuntu 10.4.

Beans

Smile Re: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

This website has the .deb packages straight from the website. http://software.canon-europe.com/products/0010756.asp I can't make it anymore easier than this. It works with wireless to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by RifRaf1961 View Post
    Thank you jmcvey! I followed your link to the Asian Canon driver site. These are the two links I followed to the EULA's with the driver download links at the very end of each page:

MP560 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.20 for Linux (debian Packagearchive).
    support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100236502.html - 43

MP560 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.40 for Linux (debian ...
    MP560 series ScanGear MP Ver. 1.40 for Linux (debian Packagearchive).
    support-asia.canon-asia.com/contents/ASIA/EN/0100237802.html -41

I just double clicked the tar.gz files to extract the packages into folders. Then I installed the printer first by going into the folder that was created for it and double clicked the common .deb package first. It launched the package manager for me and I just followed the screens to the install button. I repeated the above on the other .deb package. After that it was simple to add the printer as normal (note: it will show up as a mp560 printer, not a pixma mp560 in the list). I was all smiles when the test page fired up the printer!

I did the same for the scanner and in no time I used Gimp to scan in a photo of my daughter. XSane still sees my TV capture card as the input device which is no problem because I'd rather scan right into Gimp anyway. I'll get around to fixing that later... maybe.

By the way, I am using it in WiFi mode with Ubuntu on a 32bit system so I didn't need to use force commands you pointed out. That is why I didn't even bother using terminal to install it. Just a few mouse clicks!

Thanks again!
    Rif
    Just wanted to say thanks for the solution worked great as i can now print wireless from my laptop to printer and it was thanks to your instructions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

If you check the Canon Asian site, they have drivers available (although the MP560 is the MP568 on the site; once you get to the driver page it states "MP560").

Actually, here:

Look for:

and download the file.

Use Archive manager to extract the file and then look inside the directory it created. There should be a "packages" directory with 2 .deb files.

You can use dpkg to install the files (install the common file first) and if you're on a 64-bit system use the force option to make it work (that's why I had to use dpkg in the first place).

So you issue:

I use the Pixma over it's wireless connection and the printer tool found it and installed it without a problem once the steps above were done. Printed a test page and then a couple of documents. So far it handles the basic printing tasks without a problem.

Haven't tried the other software available on that site (that's for this weekend) but looks like there's a scanner package as well that I'll see if I can get working.

Jer
    Used your post to install my MP560 on Ubuntu 10.10 and it worked a dream. Everything needed to do the install is in this post. Thank you Jer.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

could you mark this thread as solved and say what you did to fix this problem thanks
    'The storm had now definitely abated, and what thunder there was now grumbled over more distant hills, like a man saying "AND ANOTHER THING!" twenty minutes after admitting he's lost the argument'
    -Douglas Adams

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

I appreciate the links and information. It worked for me when I was using Ubuntu 10. Flawlessly.

These instructions also work on Linux Mint Debian Edition. The driver files linked to are actually for the Debian disto, but since Ubuntu is based on Debian, they work. Most *.deb packages will work on both. There is some compatibility between Mint and Ubuntu, but they aren't fully compatible.

So far, though, I haven't found any issues. I switched to Mint because of the direction Ubuntu was taking with the desktop, and also because of a serious bug (serious to me) in Ubuntu ver. 10 where GRUB2 couldn't be installed in the Linux root partition instead of the MBR. It's supposed to be able to do that, so you can use a boot manager in Windows to start Linux. If you don't do it that way with Vista/7, you're asking for problems if you ever make changes to your partition table in Windows and then try to boot. I did, and I don't want that to ever happen again.

Donald

Actually, here:

Look for:

and download the file.

So you issue:

Jer
    Last edited by t2000kw; January 30th, 2011 at 02:10 AM. Reason: because I can

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by i386pointer View Post
    I am using kubuntu, and installed the driver, but there is something wrong with printer, when I open file with xpdf, it will print, but it wont work when I using okular or type in shell $ lpr file, and somehow I cannot reinstall the driver, it gave me the

Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place

I don't know where I was doing wrong, any suggestions would be helpful, thanks!
    I'm not sure how you do this, but there must be a way to uninstall the deb package files and then go and reinstall them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by slinky_41 View Post
    When I extract the file I only get a rpm file. I dont see any .deb file. And that doesnt seem to do anything
    Sounds like you picked up the wrong file. Try here. I refined the search using the term DEBIAN and found this one.

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...100236502.html

This is the one for ScanGear(see below for the link). My Linux Mint installation didn't need this driver as it scanned wirelessly even before I installed the Canon printer drivers! But it didn't find or install the printer, so I had to use the file above. I put the extracted files on my desktop, then opened a root terminal, typed

CD desktop

then ran the commands provided by member jcvey:

You would do similarly with the Scangear drivers if you needed those.

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/c...100237802.html

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast