Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

printing with Canon Pixma MP560

Hi,
    Has anyone gotten the canon pixma mp560 working on ubuntu. The printer supports wireless printing too but i'm tyring to get it to print over the wire first. the printer is detected on connecting through usb.However, the only printers available in the database are those for mp500 and mp520. I tried both but neither worked.

Any ideas?

TIA

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: printing with Canon Pixma MP560

I also have the same problem... Is there any news on this?

Beans

MP560 is a new version of MP620. Instructions on how to get MP620 working: http://technicaltony.blogspot.com/20...on-ubuntu.html
    I'm looking for a new printer and if the MP560 works under Linux it might be that. Please, let us hear if you get the printer working

Beans

I have found another guide for the MP620: http://www.michael-krueger.org/2009/...p620-with.html
    Please report back how it goes with getting the MP560 working

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had to purchase the TurboPrint drivers to REALLY get my Pixma MP830 working.

I can even print on printable DVDs reliably.

Sometimes, not often really, but SOMEtimes, ya gotta pay for results.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hi
    i'm about to buy the same printer. Do you think i can make it work in hardy?

Beans
    Distro

Hi, I tried to follow the instructions and install it as if it was an mp620, but it didn't work...
    turboprint does not support mp560, according to their website.

According to this page, canon will provide support in autumn 2009, maybe we just have to wait a bit... http://www.canon-europe.com/Support/...IXMA/index.asp
    Last edited by mfloris; October 11th, 2009 at 02:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Hi... I am using Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy) and having the same problems using the MP560 with it. I'm currently using a dual boot system with XP (I only use XP for a few programs there are no Linux equivalents) and all I can say is the MP560 is a very good printer/scanner for only $96! It works fantastic in *cough* XP. When I bought it I didn't notice it can be used in stand alone WiFi mode, which is how I set it up. It's really nice to not have it as a shared printer where my PC must be on for my daughter or my laptop to use it. Now if there were only Linux drivers because we both prefer Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

the canon driver is not (yet?) out, but I noticed that a new version of turboprint was released and it supports the MP560 (http://www.turboprint.info/). I downloaded the trial version and it worked wonders! I have my printer configured for wifi: it was detected and configured immediately. The only drawback is that turboprint is not GPLed...

Beans

If you check the Canon Asian site, they have drivers available (although the MP560 is the MP568 on the site; once you get to the driver page it states "MP560").

Actually, here:

http://support-asia.canon-asia.com/P...os&ca_os=Linux

Look for:

MP560 series IJ Printer Driver Ver. 3.20 for Linux (debian ...

and download the file.

Use Archive manager to extract the file and then look inside the directory it created. There should be a "packages" directory with 2 .deb files.

You can use dpkg to install the files (install the common file first) and if you're on a 64-bit system use the force option to make it work (that's why I had to use dpkg in the first place).

So you issue:

sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-common_3.20-1_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg -i --force-architecture cnijfilter-mp560series_3.20-1_i386.deb

Then use the Printer configuration tool to add the new printer.

I use the Pixma over it's wireless connection and the printer tool found it and installed it without a problem once the steps above were done. Printed a test page and then a couple of documents. So far it handles the basic printing tasks without a problem.

Haven't tried the other software available on that site (that's for this weekend) but looks like there's a scanner package as well that I'll see if I can get working.

Jer

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast