Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Re: Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

any progress on bluetooth?
    can i add the pci-id to a module and recompile it?
    tried with btusb, compiles fine but does not recognize the device.

Beans

The same for me, no Progress here. 8(

Beans

I'd like to share my (disaster) experiences with you.

1. Installing the latest Ubuntu 9.04 updates resolved the Bluetooth problems partially. Now I can connect to my Samsung M150 mobile, but I cannot browse in Ubuntu thru the pictures directory on my mobile phone. I cannot send pictures, video's or files from my mobile to Ubuntu, because it cannot connect.

2. Upgrading from Ubuntu 9.04 to 9.10 ends up in a disaster on the Asus AT3N7A-I motherboard. I only see a blinking text message (without a GUI) during the boot and no further commandline logins are accepted. Garbage, because Ubuntu became unusable without reinstalling it from scratch. I don't have time to look into that ****, it should work out of the box, Linux guru's! It's not user friendly as it looks like.

3. Another disaster of installing Ubuntu 9.10 on my brand new I7 computer with two harddisks in RAID 0 is the message: "Unable to install Grub in /dev/mapper/isw..." "This is a fatal error." Ok, it's not usable on my second computer as well... Windows 7 64-bit works perfect on that machine.

4. The good news is that Bluetooth works perfect with Windows 7 (64-bit) after installing a new Bluetooth driver on the AT3N7A-I from the Asus website. Drivers are available for Windows XP, Vista and W7 in 32-bit as well as 64-bit.

Browse to: http://support.asus.com/download/Dow...Language=en-us
    Product: Motherboard
    Series: Intel CPU Onboard
    Models: AT3N7A-I
    Select your Windows version. (ASUS did NOT create Linux Bluetooth drivers!)
    Bluetooth > Bluetooth Driver V6.8.609.101 > Download

Double click on the downloaded file and install. Reboot after the installation. Then you'll see a bluetooth icon in the system tray beside the clock. Enable Bluetooth on your mobile phone and connect to the mobile by right clicking on this icon > Add a device. Follow the instructions and use Send a file and Receive a file to transfer files, or install the communication software delivered with your mobile phone. (Of cource, this is in my case Samsung PC Studio for Windows only)

5. My conclusion: The Bluetooth hardware on the Asus AT3N7A-I motherboard works fine with the correct driver. No Ubuntu driver = unusable Bluetooth. I'm unable to boot Ubuntu 9.10 after a simple upgrade from 9.04 to 9.10 and I cannot install it on my I7 computer, so I said exit to Ubuntu and switched back to Windows 7.

-- Erwin

Beans
    Hidden!

regarding bluetooth:

it could be that asus integrated a dongle that does not come along with its own firmware. therefore it would be necessary to load the firmware each time the device gets initialized. i researched a bit and found out that atheros submitted a kernel patch for firmware loading for their bluetooth devices a couple of days ago. this module is called ath3k.

see: http://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/62409/

so far so good. what we need now is a firmware for our dongle, that should be found in the bluez-firmware package. seems like there isn't any yet. at least i could not find anything. but what i found out is that atheros is looking for a someone to build support/firmware for bluetooth on linux.

see: http://www.ventureloop.com/venturelo...ampaign=Indeed

so looks like we have to wait a "bit"...
    i guess until then i'll have my ion2. XD

Beans

It seems there is a firmware ready but it's just not released.
    I found this thread discussing among other things the license of the firmware.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-b.../msg03816.html

From that I gather that the linux-firmware tree is the one most likely they will commit it too.

Beans
    Hidden!

hey dosch,

interesting.
    i'm just about to read through the list. just have to say i love this comment in there XD:

This is not an error. Just return -ENODEV. Stop spamming dmesg like crazy. This driver is suppose to load a firmware and not operate a nuclear reactor.

Beans

Smile Re: Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

I just managed to get Bluetooth on the ASUS AT3N7A-I working under Mythbuntu 9.10 using the upgraded Linux 2.6.31-16-generic x86_64 kernel. It can probably be done for other versions, this is the only one I have. What I did... I did a search and found this posting after searching on ar3011 linux:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux...8ec86?lnk=raot

I cut the code listed in the posting for ath3k.c and pasted it to a file with the same name. Then I removed all the leading plus signs from the code that were added by diff. I then created a simple Makefile and Kbuild for the ath3k module. Then I did a make followed by a make install. Of course, you all ready have to have your machine set up for building modules before doing the make commands. I then did a modprobe ath3k and then did a dmesg and actually saw the Atheros Bluetooth asking for firmware. I couldn't believe it.

I searched on the net and couldn't find any firmware. I went to my Windows machine popped in the AT3N7A-I Support DVD, ran \Drivers\BlueTooth\Vista32\setup.exe on the DVD, I clicked OK to pick my language, then I went to my temp folder while setup was still running and found the Bluetooth Vista Suite.msi that had been unpacked, then I opened the MSI with 7-zip, then I opened Data1.cab and extracted atherosbt.bin from the cab. I then renamed atherosbt.bin to ath3k-1.fw and copied it to the /lib/firmware folder on Mythbuntu.

I removed the module with modprobe -r ath3k and added it back with modprobe ath3k. Everything came up, I was shocked. Then I edited /etc/modules and added ath3k so that I have it after every reboot.

I'm now happily using my WII controller without an extra Bluetooth dongle.

I've attached the source files that I used to build the module. I haven't included the firmware since I didn't know if that's legal to distribute. I couldn't find an answer on the web if it was redistributable or not.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Holy crap man.. Thank you! That worked flawlessly for me in 64-bit Arch Linux

Beans

Hi, I have Ubuntu 9.10

I have all files needed.

When I tried modprobe ath3k, i have :
    FATAL: Module ath3k not found.

What do i need to do?
    Last edited by JeromeL; January 4th, 2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: I tried insmod ath3k.ko from the compilation directory and it works ! Now how can i do this cleaner ?

Beans

JeromeL,

After you did the "make", did you do a "make install" as root or sudo? That should have copied the ath3k.ko module to the correct folder so that modprobe can find it. The default location it copies to should be good for Ubuntu. If you were running a different distribution you might need to change the INSTALL_MOD_DIR to point to a different module destination. By default, it will copy the module to:

/lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/bluetooth/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast