Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Re: Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by kamiubu View Post
    Thank you Prevoj, really nice work...

I follow your guide, everything looks fine, but still no bluetooth in bluetooth-properties :/

dmesg after modprobe ath3k:

[ 922.249211] Bluetooth: Atheros AR30XX firmware driver ver 1.0
    [ 922.249278] usbcore: registered new interface driver ath3k

lsmodprobe | grep ath:
    ath3k 4000 0

uname -a
    Linux kami-ht 2.6.31-17-generic #54-Ubuntu SMP Thu Dec 10 17:01:44 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Any idea, what i miss ?
    Thanks
    I got the same problem, and lsusb didn't show "any" ath device.

Beans

For those interested I have just created an open group to gather information on open issues on this motherboard
    https://launchpad.net/~at3n7a-i

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by prevoj View Post
    I just managed to get Bluetooth on the ASUS AT3N7A-I working under Mythbuntu 9.10 using the upgraded Linux 2.6.31-16-generic x86_64 kernel. It can probably be done for other versions, this is the only one I have. What I did... I did a search and found this posting after searching on ar3011 linux:

http://groups.google.com/group/linux...8ec86?lnk=raot

I cut the code listed in the posting for ath3k.c and pasted it to a file with the same name. Then I removed all the leading plus signs from the code that were added by diff. I then created a simple Makefile and Kbuild for the ath3k module. Then I did a make followed by a make install. Of course, you all ready have to have your machine set up for building modules before doing the make commands. I then did a modprobe ath3k and then did a dmesg and actually saw the Atheros Bluetooth asking for firmware. I couldn't believe it.

I searched on the net and couldn't find any firmware. I went to my Windows machine popped in the AT3N7A-I Support DVD, ran \Drivers\BlueTooth\Vista32\setup.exe on the DVD, I clicked OK to pick my language, then I went to my temp folder while setup was still running and found the Bluetooth Vista Suite.msi that had been unpacked, then I opened the MSI with 7-zip, then I opened Data1.cab and extracted atherosbt.bin from the cab. I then renamed atherosbt.bin to ath3k-1.fw and copied it to the /lib/firmware folder on Mythbuntu.

I removed the module with modprobe -r ath3k and added it back with modprobe ath3k. Everything came up, I was shocked. Then I edited /etc/modules and added ath3k so that I have it after every reboot.

I'm now happily using my WII controller without an extra Bluetooth dongle.

I've attached the source files that I used to build the module. I haven't included the firmware since I didn't know if that's legal to distribute. I couldn't find an answer on the web if it was redistributable or not.
    thanks for the hint! haven't been checking the thread for a while. i just took the patch again and applied it to my kernel sources (2.6.32). afterwards i compiled the module into the kernel. i did that before, but didn't find any useable firmware. but your hint did it! just copied the extracted firmware and everything was immediately up && running after the next reboot.

Beans
    Hidden!

the driver is now included in the 2.6.33 kernel sources.

see: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...f991ed;hb=HEAD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xout View Post
    the driver is now included in the 2.6.33 kernel sources.

see: http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...f991ed;hb=HEAD
    Nice info, how to upgrade to it?
    Im on Karmic x32

Beans
    Hidden!

sorry, can't help you at this point. i'm a 99% gentoo user.
    i just checked the ubuntu repos in my vm. seems like there's no 2.6.33 kernel available. but i'm pretty sure there are ways to install it nevertheless. i'd check the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

anyone who can upload the firmware? or host on rapidshare or something? I Cant browse the MSI package, only run in wine.

Or how to do it in Ubuntu? I have 7-zip installed....

Beans

It worked.
    Thanks a milion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I am trying to use prevoj's method to install the BT firmware, but I get

HOSTCC scripts/basic/fixdep
    HOSTCC scripts/basic/docproc
    HOSTCC scripts/basic/hash
    HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/conf.o
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_askvalue’:
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c:105: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c: In function ‘conf_choice’:
    scripts/kconfig/conf.c:307: warning: ignoring return value of ‘fgets’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
    HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/kxgettext.o
    HOSTCC scripts/kconfig/zconf.tab.o
    HOSTLD scripts/kconfig/conf
    scripts/kconfig/conf -s arch/x86/Kconfig
    gcc -m elf_i386 ath3k.c -o ath3k
    cc1: error: unrecognized command line option "-m"
    make: *** [ath3k] Error 1

when I run the make command. Could there be something else I need to compile this file?

Beans

Hey dudes,

I've had the same problem with bluetooth in ubuntu 9.10. After some headaches, I've finally decided to try Windows7, to give it a try. But it was a bad decision. Windows is windows, and that's why I left it some years ago. Full of crap, unstable (explorer crashed 3 times in an hour), slow, and hard to find things and tools when you're familiarized with gnome and terminal.

So I decided to get back to ubuntu and try to find another solution for the bluetooth. The funny thing is, when I installed Windows7 I installed the AT3N7A-I bluetooth drivers from Asus website. And that was enough for Ubuntu to make Bluetooth work when I reinstalled it. Ubuntu just detected the bluetooth hardware and configured it just like any other device, so it was available when installation finished.

I guess when you install windows drivers it uplaods the firmware to the bluetooth hardware and it remains there. So then you can make a linux fresh install and it will work flawlessly.

I tried to pair a bluetooth device and Ubuntu detected it perfectly.

So I wanted to share my experience. If you have problems extracting the frmware and using the guide on this thread, just another method:

1-Install windows (I guess any version should do the work.
    2-Install the bluetooth driver from the disc or downloaded fron the Asus website.
    3-Bye bye windows, make a fresh Ubuntu install, you can delete completely the windows partition.
    4-Ubuntu will detect and install the bluetooth dongle with no problems.

I don't know if this was obvious to you or not, but it surprised me, so here it is.

Anyways I have to solve my Audio problem yet. Any ideas? I'm using the analog 3,5mm jack cable and it works ok, but it makes a "crack" "plop" noise when I play a movie, boot ubuntu, play a music file... it's just on the beggining, then it plays fine. Anyways I'll try to install latest alsa package when I get home, but dunno if any of you had the same problem and solved it updating alsa?

cya.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast