Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

Beans

Question Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

Hi all,

My Asus AT3N7A-I on-board bluetooth won't be recognized on Ubuntu 9.04 64-bit. Can you please give me some hints? Here is some addition info:

htpc@htpc:~$ sudo hciconfig
    htpc@htpc:~$ sudo hcitool dev
    Devices:
    htpc@htpc:~$ sudo hidd --search
    Searching ...
    htpc@htpc:~$

htpc@htpc:~$ sudo hciconfig
    htpc@htpc:~$

htpc@htpc:~$ locate bluez-utils
    /usr/share/doc/bluez-utils
    /usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/AUTHORS
    /usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/README
    /usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/changelog.Debian.gz
    /usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/copyright
    /var/cache/apt/archives/bluez-utils_4.32-0ubuntu4_all.deb
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/bluez-utils.list
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/bluez-utils.md5sums
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/bluez-utils.postrm
    /var/lib/dpkg/info/bluez-utils.preinst

Note: A simple Trust USB bluetooth adapter works fine, but the on-board won't...

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Bluetooth driver Asus AT3N7A-I NVidia ION Ubuntu 9.04

Do
    Code:
    lspci
    lsusb
    and post results here.

Beans

Is bluetooth enabled in bios ?

Onboard Bluetooth [Enabled]
    Allows you to enable or disable the onboard Bluetooth controller.
    Configuration options: [Enabled] [Disabled]

But the there seems to be some issue's with windows aswell. http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=3630

BTW Found this thread because I was acquiring information about the Asus AT3N7A-I and linux compatibility . Apart from the bluetooth does everything else works ?
    Last edited by Drikus; September 12th, 2009 at 05:39 PM.

Beans

Hi all,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, bluetooth is enabled in the BIOS.

Here is the output of the requested commands:

htpc@htpc:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Host Bridge (rev b1)
    00:00.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 LPC Bridge (rev b2)
    00:03.1 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.2 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SMBus (rev b1)
    00:03.3 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Memory Controller (rev b1)
    00:03.5 Co-processor: nVidia Corporation MCP79 Co-processor (rev b1)
    00:04.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
    00:04.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
    00:06.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 OHCI USB 1.1 Controller (rev b1)
    00:06.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP79 EHCI USB 2.0 Controller (rev b1)
    00:08.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation MCP79 High Definition Audio (rev b1)
    00:09.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Bridge (rev b1)
    00:0b.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP79 SATA Controller (rev b1)
    00:10.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP79 PCI Express Bridge (rev b1)
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 087d (rev b1)
    03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

htpc@htpc:~$ lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 003: ID 0dc6:2301 Precision Squared Technology Corp.
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0781:5406 SanDisk Corp. Cruzer Micro 1/4GB Flash Drive
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0cf3:3000 Atheros Communications, Inc.
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    I'm currently looking for a bluetooth solution for Windows 7 RC1 as well, because I can't get it up and running. The rest of the hardware is fully operational with Windows 7 RC1.

I'm also fighting with HDMI audio and bluetooth with Ubuntu 9.04. I tried the following drivers from the NVidia site, all with the same problem:
    Linux Display Driver Version 190.32 BETA
    Linux Display Driver Version 185.18.36
    I'd like to use this motherboard as a HTPC, but I can't use it as long as HDMI does not work with Ubuntu. The onboard 3,5mm jack audio sounds crap, so that's not a solution. I'll keep it dual boot for the time being.
    Last edited by erwinew; September 13th, 2009 at 07:12 PM.

Beans

Hi all,

i recently bought this Board to build a Linux-based HTPC. As i can say the only thing that refused to work is the "onboard" bluetooth.
    BT support is enabled in bios and activated in kernelconfig. However i did not test an other bt dongle now.

The Device seems to be the Atheros found in lsusb:
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0cf3:3000 Atheros Communications, Inc.

The inf from the Windowsdriver downloaded from Asus shows the same ID 0cf3.
    I searched a lot and found that there is a AT3011 Chipset since 2007 that should work with the standard HCI Kernel Layer.

Can someone verify that the Hardware is working on the Windows-Plattform with the Asus Driver?

By the Way: The Sound from the 3,5 Jack sound well for me, try to update to the latest kernel, there is much work done to the HD audio Driver.

cu

jose

Beans

3,5mm jack audio isn't an option for me either, but for the hdmi issues good chance that you might want to opt for a newer alsa version see here and for the usb ids you might want to run sudo update-usbids.
    Last edited by Drikus; September 14th, 2009 at 10:31 PM.

Beans

The on-board bluetooth does not work with Windows 7 as well. I found a driver on the Asus CD, but that works only with Windows XP and Vista, not Ubuntu or Windows 7. Windows 7 does not display a bluetooth device in the Device manager. (Yes, it's turned on in the BIOS) So I've no idea if the bluetooth hardware works.

In the mean time I figured out that the on-board 3,5mm audio sounds beter than audio over HDMI (with Windows 7) and a Samsung LCD. The high frequencies sounds beter, however, there is a lot of noice on the 3,5mm audio plug. Especially by putting the amplifier at a high volume in combination with moving the mouse or start some heavy processing / graphics. It sounds stupid, but you can hear the mouse moving! I recognize this garbage on many motherboards. I think an external USB/Firewire/Optical audio card will be a solution.

Did you ever try to play a h.264 video, play a youtube HD video or play a HD .ts file (recorded with a Humax 5050c) with Ubuntu? No go. You're lucky if it displays a frame every second. The player does not matter: I tried Kino as well as VLC, different flash players etc. We cannot play video's from http://www.sbs6gemist.nl, because it uses Silverlight, a Microsoft product. All of this works perfect with Windows 7 and Media player out of the box. I think this is related to the full HDCP capability which is missing in Ubuntu. This is a major problem for me, so I think it's too early for Ubuntu now.

Beans

I have to state that i am not using ubuntu.
    My distribution is Gentoo, but i dont see a difference.

If you have problems playing HD Videos pleas ensure that you have VDPAU activated in your programs.
    I am using XBMC for playing/streaming Videos and streaming live TV over wlan via my VDR Server.
    I did not try Windows but with Linux you can use all Power that this Hardware offers.
    My only Problem is the Bluetooth but i can use a small usb adaptor for that.

Beans

It seems that the USB-ID of the Atheros Device is missing in the Linux Kernel. I have submitted that Device ID here:
    http://www.linux-usb.org/usb-ids.html

and hope for including in the next Kernel Release.

Here is a Guide for including the missind ID in Windows with widcom stack.
    http://www.jonsguides.com/bluetooth/devices.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by erwinew View Post

Did you ever try to play a h.264 video, play a youtube HD video or play a HD .ts file (recorded with a Humax 5050c) with Ubuntu? No go. You're lucky if it displays a frame every second. The player does not matter: I tried Kino as well as VLC, different flash players etc. We cannot play video's from http://www.sbs6gemist.nl, because it uses Silverlight, a Microsoft product. All of this works perfect with Windows 7 and Media player out of the box. I think this is related to the full HDCP capability which is missing in Ubuntu. This is a major problem for me, so I think it's too early for Ubuntu now.
    For silverlight install http://www.go-mono.com/moonlight/ (1.99.3) after install update again to 1.99.3, then you able to play the sbs streams. The sbs6 streams are working fine here this is not on an a AT3N7A-I because I ordered the board yesterday evening.

For the rest of your issues it's important to enable vdpau, for example mplayer -vo xv vpdau /media/whatever.mkv. Maybe you may find this resource helpful.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast