Thread: Dual Boot -> Reinstall Ubuntu

Beans

Dual Boot -> Reinstall Ubuntu

Hi!

I'm aware that many threads and documentation files already threat this topic, but I have some questions left - I'm not used to partitioning etc. and it "scares" me...

Situation: I have Windows Vista and Ubuntu 8.10 as a dual boot. My Ubuntu is totally broken after I shut down my computer during the upgrade from 8.04 to 8.10 (it was a mistake of course ). After deleting all broken packages and doing some things I didn't understand, I didn't even have a GUI left... I managed to reinstall ubuntu-desktop, but many packages are gone, and I can only start a "low graphics mode" or something similar.... Now I would like to re-install Ubuntu.

Questions:
    Can I install the latest Ubuntu distro on the same partition Ubuntu is already installed?
    Do I need to format the partition first, or does the installtion process format the partition?
    If I need to format, can I just format the partition from Windows, and then install Ubuntu on it with the installation CD?
    Or do I need to delete the partition and give the space back to my windows partition and then install Ubuntu and create a new partition for it during installation?

Thanks for your help and time!
    Last edited by Alexandre Charoy; September 12th, 2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: adding thx to the end^^

Beans

Re: Dual Boot -> Reinstall Ubuntu

Can I install the latest Ubuntu distro on the same partition Ubuntu is already installed?
    First check what partition your / is on before reinstalling by opening a terminal (Applications>Accessories>Terminal) and using
    Code:
    df -h
    this will tell you what partition your / is, eg /dev/sda3
    Then when you reinstall choose the "Manual Partitioning" option at the partitioning stage. Then choose to edit you old ext3 / partition. (/dev/sda?) and reset the mount point to / and tick the box to format.
    This will reuse the same / partition but will format and install Ubuntu again.
    Ubuntu Newbie Help: irc: #beginners-help on network irc.freenode.net
    Help others, mark your threads solved.

Beans

Ok I got it, Ubuntu 9.04 is up
    Thanks!

Beans

I really like this thread, but what happens to the MBR and grub? is it not stored on /?

and also if i just format and choose that partition to install ubuntu, /home stays intact?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by raoshivani View Post
    I really like this thread, but what happens to the MBR and grub? is it not stored on /?

and also if i just format and choose that partition to install ubuntu, /home stays intact?
    No, grub2 should go to the MBR of the disk, not on the root partition.

If you have separate /home partition you need to tell the installer to use it during the install. In the manual partitioning, click the partition and select Change, then choose the filesystem in the Use As field, for example ext4 if it's ext4. Select mount point /home, that will use it as /home. Make sure the format box IS NOT selected, otherwise you will lose the data.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 18.04 LTS 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Old thread closed.

raoshivani, if you still have questions, please start a new thread.