Thread: Gtk-WARNING in terminal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post Gtk-WARNING in terminal

Hello,
    i'm getting some weird error in terminal after i'm opening a text file with gedit, it's says:

Code:
    (gedit:12429): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid size in gtk-icon-sizes: 0,0
    than after i'm closing gedit, it's show me this:
    Code:
    (gedit:12429): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed

(gedit:12429): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed

anyway to fix this? i've tried reinsalling gedit but it didn't help...

Thanks!
    Last edited by r5r4y; September 12th, 2009 at 10:28 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Gtk-WARNING in terminal

Linux programs don't tend to get corrupted on disk, so reinstalling them generally doesn't solve anything.

The warnings you mention are perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, they've been a part of Gnome for at least as long as I've been using it.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

hmm... part of gnome???
    strange, because when i did clean install 3 months ago, i didn't saw those errors...

NoaHall is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I wouldn't worry about them - it''s probably something to do with Theme conflicts, but generally, there's no way to fix, and there's no point in fixing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NoaHall View Post
    I wouldn't worry about them - it''s probably something to do with Theme conflicts, but generally, there's no way to fix, and there's no point in fixing.
    hmm... Thanks, it's seems you guys are right, i've changed the theme to back to default human theme and the first error:

Code:
    (gedit:12429): Gtk-WARNING **: Invalid size in gtk-icon-sizes: 0,0
    didn't apper... but the other two:

Code:
    (gedit:6617): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed

(gedit:6617): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed

the numbers in the start changing everytime, perhaps those are really part of gnome...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

These are both valid (if relatively unimportant) bugs.

The first is failing to check the return value when it tries to get a specific icon(s) from the theme (list has size 0, but it's still trying to get icons out of it). The second is related to the destruction of widgets as the window is being torn down. The hierarchy of the window has been corrupted somehow, which is what you are seeing. You could try searching this on launchpad, as it probably should be fixed at some point (esp considering that window tear-down *could* lead to a segfault in nastier scenarios down the line)

As for the first number, that is the process ID of the particular instance of gedit, which is why it changes.

These are only "part of gnome" as much as gedit is owned by gnome. Otherwise, they're just bugs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It is 2011, I'm still sitting with exactly the same bug, is there any wonder that Ubuntu is slowing down, as relatively unimportant bugs, tie up processors and GPUs with important seconds of our time?

GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed
    RIP?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

In 2012 still part of gnome

(<unknown>:2204): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `object->ref_count > 0' failed