Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The end of the internet as we know it

Beans

The end of the internet as we know it

Well now, looky what we have here.
    The nation's largest telephone and cable companies are crafting an alarming set of strategies that would transform the free, open and nondiscriminatory Internet of today to a privately run and branded service that would charge a fee for virtually everything we do online.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: The end of the internet as we know it

Not exactly new news, I've been hearing things similar to this in one way or another since I first got the internet, almost a decade ago. Besides, it would never fly. You saw what happened to Sony with the rootkit fiasco...this is on an even grander scale.

-Wild

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

What's to stop someone or some company building an alternative network?
    It's entirely feasible.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Despite what telephone/cable companies plan to do, or say they are going to do, they will always be answerable to their customers, which in the case of the modern world, we have the choice to go elsewhere. As long as changes such as this do not happen through a world-wide government endorsed system, they will never happen. It's just FUD for now.... Personal RFID's anyone? How about paying for oxygen?

Iandefor is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by dickohead
    Despite what telephone/cable companies plan to do, or say they are going to do, they will always be answerable to their customers, which in the case of the modern world, we have the choice to go elsewhere. As long as changes such as this do not happen through a world-wide government endorsed system, they will never happen.
    You certain of that? Microsoft seems to be doing a good job of making it's customers bend over backwards to accomodate their products' limitations and requirements.
    Consumers are too docile to lash out against them if what the article describes happens.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Beans

The simple fact that the plans are there shows that there's seriousness about making the transition in the first place. So you can bet that top players will work towards it as best they can. If there's one thing you can learn from history, it's that centralization is a dominant force in the key strategic areas of politics, religion, economics, and information. Therefore, it's important to be aware of things like this.
    Last edited by Arktis; February 6th, 2006 at 07:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

I just don't think that there would be a large number of private users willing to pay to use the internet. If my phone company required me to pay to use the internet, I'd switch phone companies. Then, when the phone started losing customers left and right, they would see what a stupid idea it was to charge people to use their internet. Big companies like Best Buy, Amazon.com, New Egg.com, etc. won't stay in it for long when they see that private users aren't willing to pay to use it - these big companies aren't going to throw their money down the drain for any substantial period of time.

My opinion? It might get off the ground at first, but it's going to crash and burn quickly.
    Last edited by ardchoille; February 6th, 2006 at 07:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Aren't we allready paying for the use of internet?
    At least here in Belgium it costs to get acces to the internet,
    it can cost as little as 1 Euro per month or as much as 60Euro per month, depending what speed/download/upload you want.

for me, that's paying to get to the internet

Christiaan
    registered Linux user number 406437

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by cvcaelen
    Aren't we allready paying for the use of internet?
    At least here in Belgium it costs to get acces to the internet,
    it can cost as little as 1 Euro per month or as much as 60Euro per month, depending what speed/download/upload you want.

for me, that's paying to get to the internet

Christiaan
    That's paying for your connection. The article suggests paying for the content as well. Much like modern cell phone providers already do. You connect through their portal, surf their services for free, pay for every download, and all your traffic is stored for 'marketing purposes'

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Oh,
    great

life isn't expensive enough

Christiaan
    registered Linux user number 406437

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast