Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Ibook G3 - Won't Boot From CD

Beans

Unhappy Apple Ibook G3 - Won't Boot From CD

Okay, so i ordered an iBook off ebay. I finally got it today. Even though I'd like to learn a bit about Mac OS X, the operating system kinda sucks, its fast to load and shutdown, but i don't have the install discs for OS X and... I WANT UBUNTU!!!! Lucky for me this is my first apple, so I've been trying all these different key combos to get the thing to boot from the Ubuntu 9.04 PPC Live CD. Nothing has worked yet.

The iBook is....

Machine Model: Powerbook4,3 (G3 iBook is what i bought on ebay)
    CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (700Mhz)
    Memory: 384 MB (assuming i can get Ubuntu to work, I'll upgrade to 640mb)
    Hard Drive: 20GB Toshiba MK2018GAS
    Video: ATI Rage M7 (MAX RES:1024x768
    OS X Version: 10.4.11 (I believe this is "Tiger")

It was sold to me on Ebay as a "700Mhz G3 iBOOK"

The CD drive works, i know this because i put the CD in the drive and it mounted the CD just fine on the desktop of MAC OS X. I could even read the files. So that being said...

How the heck do i get this thing to boot from a CD?
    What key combo is actually used on this machine?

I've tried....
    "C"
    "option"+"C"
    "D"
    "option"+"D"
    "function"+"option"+"C"
    "ctrl"+"option"+"C"

All of which i found on the net from random websites searched via google. So far NONE WORK. Any and all insight that anyone can offer would be much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Apple Ibook G3 - Won't Boot From CD

I read something a few minutes ago about burning the cd at a lower speed, so I'm going to try burning it at 4x (the lowest speed possible for my drive). It's about 2/3 done at the moment. I will post back when this CD burn finishes.

Beans

Still no go with the 4x burn, tried all those key combos again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Witch burning tool? I have same problem with ISO file when using K3b. Much more luck witn Nautilus burner.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Ubuntu has witch burning tools...!?

Sorry, it's the second time I've seen someone type that and I couldn't resist. I realize that English is your 2nd language so: Witch is a lady with a pointy hat, who castes spells, and rides on a broom. 'Which' is the proper word. So 'witch burning tool' is a funny phrase

!Back on topic!

This Post mentions that old macs can't read 700mb cds (post #6). I haven't experienced this myself but it sounds reasonable. So you might try the alternate install which is only ~650MB.

Also, I think I may have the same ibook as you. My cd drive was not working so I took it apart and installed the cd drive from a compaq laptop. Taking the thing apart is a a long process. But, I love taking things apart so I enjoyed it. It worked just great.

Also, this is off topic, but if you do have the same ibook it's really really easy to take the case for the screen off. So you can very easily modify the apple logo. You can paint/draw whatever on the diffuser between the backlight and the apple logo (it's easiest to just cut the diffuser out and tape it onto the apple window). I drew the classic mac logo it's pretty cool. But if you had the skills, drawing an ubuntu logo or Tux would be awesome. Personally I had enough trouble just drawing straight lines.

Beans

urosg3 - I'm using Nero on a windows machine.

cptfx - The ibook is reading the cd inside os x, however, i'll try the alternate install cd. I'll post back when it works... or not.

Beans

so i tried the alternate install iso, AND damn small Linux, neither seemed to want to work
    I tried the key combos again, but no go.

What keys do you usually use for your ibook?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Same problem, like mine. I never managed to install Ubuntu on my Powerbook. Only Debian Lenny... And i wasted bunch of CD trying and trying.
    So, give shance to Debian netinstaller, its only about 50 MB on this link
    http://www.debian.org/distrib/netinst

Cheers

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I had it on a post it note some where. The only one that I can find says option+command+shift+del. Where command is the apple button. i think that may have been what I used.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by candyiz4kidz View Post
    Okay, so i ordered an iBook off ebay. I finally got it today. Even though I'd like to learn a bit about Mac OS X, the operating system kinda sucks, its fast to load and shutdown, but i don't have the install discs for OS X and... I WANT UBUNTU!!!! Lucky for me this is my first apple, so I've been trying all these different key combos to get the thing to boot from the Ubuntu 9.04 PPC Live CD. Nothing has worked yet.

The iBook is....

Machine Model: Powerbook4,3 (G3 iBook is what i bought on ebay)
    CPU Type: PowerPC 750 (700Mhz)
    Memory: 384 MB (assuming i can get Ubuntu to work, I'll upgrade to 640mb)
    Hard Drive: 20GB Toshiba MK2018GAS
    Video: ATI Rage M7 (MAX RES:1024x768
    OS X Version: 10.4.11 (I believe this is "Tiger")

It was sold to me on Ebay as a "700Mhz G3 iBOOK"

The CD drive works, i know this because i put the CD in the drive and it mounted the CD just fine on the desktop of MAC OS X. I could even read the files. So that being said...

How the heck do i get this thing to boot from a CD?
    What key combo is actually used on this machine?

I've tried....
    "C"
    "option"+"C"
    "D"
    "option"+"D"
    "function"+"option"+"C"
    "ctrl"+"option"+"C"

All of which i found on the net from random websites searched via google. So far NONE WORK. Any and all insight that anyone can offer would be much appreciated.
    To boot your mac make sure you have the Cd in the drive then restart and hold the option key down till you see both your hard drive and the Cd icon
    its like a menu then click on the Cd icon then the the arrow on the right hand side,when you have Mac OS x installed you have hold down the option key as this how to boot into it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast