Thread: fat32 vs ntfs vs fat vs exfat

Beans

Cool fat32 vs ntfs vs fat vs exfat

so i am installing ubuntu thru usb stick. and i have question which format should i use? fat32,fat,exfat, and or ntfs? which will install the fastest?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: fat32 vs ntfs vs fat vs exfat

Do you mean what file system you should use to format the usb stick before putting the .iso on it? If so, I would recommend fat32. Why? Because that's what I've always used, and it's never given me any problems.

Or do you mean what file system to use for the actual installation on your computer? If that's what you mean, I suggest ext3. Why? Because that's what I've always used. Except if you're installing to a SSD. In that case, I would use ext2, because it involves less writes to the disk and so the SSD will last longer. Ext4 is now out and proud, and many people like it. So maybe you'll like it too. Who knows?
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: fat32 vs ntfs vs fat vs exfat

Quote Originally Posted by t0p View Post
    do you mean what file system you should use to format the usb stick before putting the .iso on it? If so, i would recommend fat32. Why? Because that's what i've always used, and it's never given me any problems.

Or do you mean what file system to use for the actual installation on your computer? If that's what you mean, i suggest ext3. Why? Because that's what i've always used. Except if you're installing to a ssd. In that case, i would use ext2, because it involves less writes to the disk and so the ssd will last longer. Ext4 is now out and proud, and many people like it. So maybe you'll like it too. Who knows?
    + 1
    "The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it" .... A. Glasow