Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows7 not booting after GParted resize

Beans

Re: Windows7 not booting after GParted resize

The NTFS partition is now primary. I used TeskDisk again and fixed it. Now my big problem is I can't boot without using a live cd and I don't have a separate disk drive that can burn the super grub disk. I'll have to burn it at work or boot from USB. And you are right, I have already learned a lot about grub and I haven't even fixed anyhting. I guess the best way to learn is to fail, over and over again (as long as something is acomplished in the end ).

So I will boot from a SGD and see if I can fix grub, otherwise I will just copy the windows files and reinstall. I could just do that now and skip the SGD, but as you said, I might just learn something if I carry this through to the end.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sneakytiki22 View Post
    I have already learned a lot about grub and I haven't even fixed anyhting. I guess the best way to learn is to fail, over and over again (as long as something is acomplished in the end ).

So I will boot from a SGD and see if I can fix grub, otherwise I will just copy the windows files and reinstall. I could just do that now and skip the SGD, but as you said, I might just learn something if I carry this through to the end.
    +1

... and knowledge is freedom ... good luck with it. Remember when working with grub if you don't already know:

sda = hd0
    sda1 = hd0,0
    sdb1 = hd1,0
    sdb2 = hd1,1

etc.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 9th, 2009 at 01:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The NTFS partition is now primary. I used TeskDisk again and fixed it. Now my big problem is I can't boot without using a live cd and I don't have a separate disk drive that can burn the super grub disk. I'll have to burn it at work or boot from USB. And you are right, I have already learned a lot about grub and I haven't even fixed anyhting. I guess the best way to learn is to fail, over and over again (as long as something is acomplished in the end ).

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1030786

Link: Help Vampires? * * * Please Edit First Post Title With "[SOLVED]" When It Is!
    MANDATORY INFORMATION: make, model/build number, OSes, software, accessories
    /customizations/modifications/peripherals/etc...and a DETAILED account of difficulties!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by LewRockwell View Post
    Tried that. When I tried it, it was after I had TestDisk write the partition tables, and because of that it was giving me error 17, corrupt stage1/stage2. As I understand it (which could be wrong) it was because the partitions were renamed by TestDisk from what GRUB had seen when it was installed, or something about the order of the partitions being wrong.

After that I tried something i saw in http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351. I did a mount proc and undev. It didn't work at the time, but I haven't tried it again since I rewrote the partition tables.

Beans

So, I am posting from Windows 7. I booted windows with a SGD, and all my files are here!!! Now, does this mean the windows boot is "fixed" or does it still depend on SGD to boot it? I wasn't sure if SGD was healing or acting as a crutch/bridging the gap or filling the gap in. Is it fixed?

I guess the next step is to back this up as fast as possible . Then fix ubuntu. Or perhaps a fresh install would be better? My situation now is, i have windows on the first 800gb or so, 150gb free space, then ubuntu 9.04 with like 2.3gb to work with. Would it be better to grow the ubuntu partition or just get rid of it and install fresh on the 150gb free space?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

So, I am posting from Windows 7
    Cool - More that likely SGD just booted window for you. Won't know for sure until you try. But if you look around the Super Grub menu (forgot just where) you will find the option to repair (change) the MBR to boot windows without using the Super Grub Disk.
    UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn
    SystemRescueCd | Dual Boot | psychocats | FAQ

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So, I am posting from Windows 7. I booted windows with a SGD, and all my files are here!!! Now, does this mean the windows boot is "fixed" or does it still depend on SGD to boot it? I wasn't sure if SGD was healing or acting as a crutch/bridging the gap or filling the gap in. Is it fixed?

I guess the next step is to back this up as fast as possible . Then fix ubuntu. Or perhaps a fresh install would be better? My situation now is, i have windows on the first 800gb or so, 150gb free space, then ubuntu 9.04 with like 2.3gb to work with. Would it be better to grow the ubuntu partition or just get rid of it and install fresh on the 150gb free space?
    SGD has no doubt re-written your fstab file. Try:
    Code:
    nano /etc/fstab
    ... and post that here. It really is a cool thing and thanks Herman and pals for making it so!

Beans

I reinstalled ubuntu, and this time i had plenty of free space to install it on. So I am up and running just fine now. I think all I have left to configure is my graphics card (ATI Radeon 4870), which from skimming through the forums looks like it might not be the easiest.

Thanks again for your help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Always Defrag and Defrag again and again until you can't anymore before

This is a hypothesis only, but I was able to shrink my XP partition on my laptop in order to dual boot Ubuntu, and still boot Windows. Always Defrag and Defrag again and again until you can't anymore before shrinking a Windows partition, and on the defrag screen look at where the system files are. I'm not sure where to see this on W7 but on XP and older it's the green portion. If you shrink past that green portion, chances are that you will wipeout important files needed to boot the system. Yes if you have the XP install cd you can try a repair, and even reinstall it. If you have data on it, you can boot into your ubuntu, mount the Windows drive, and save your data from it onto a flash drive before reinstalling. You will probably then have to reinstall Ubuntu again to, because the Windows boot loader will probably write over GRUB (or LILO, etc.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Always Defrag and Defrag again and again until you can't anymore before

Quote Originally Posted by edcompsci View Post
    This is a hypothesis only, but I was able to shrink my XP partition on my laptop ...
    Maybe you didn't notice ... but the title clearly indicated Windows 7 -- not XP.

The GParted-related problems do not affect Windows XP; instead, they affect Windows 7 (and, to a lesser degree, Windows Vista).
    Ubuntu 16.10 Mate, Mint 18 Mate; MS Win 8.1, MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast