Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: how to use ibus?

Beans

Question how to use ibus?

Hi all,

I want to use russian, korean and english with iBus. These are the shortcuts to control ibus:
    Enable or Disable: Control + space
    Next input method: Control + Alt + space

Input methods are Russian-kbd and Korean-Hangul, in the order presented.

Now, when I want to type in russian, then I have to hit Control + space, but when I want to use Korean I have to hit Control + Alt + space. And when I want to switch to english, I have to hit Control + space, which, in my opinion, is inconsistent. Is there a way that I can set up ibus to function the same way as windows or mac os x?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Beans

Re: how to use ibus?

I'd also be interested to see if anyone is successfully using this on Ubuntu 9.04/9.10, specifically for Traditional Chinese Pinyin input?

Beans

What is Ibus?

Beans

ibus (http://code.google.com/p/ibus/) is software for inputting foreign characters (Chinese, Korean, etc), similar to SCIM.

I've actually been using it for the past several months, and I really like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I am completely new to IBus, but I need to input Korean and so I have been experimenting with IBus tonight. I am using Ubuntu 9.10.

Start IBus

Navigate to the menu:
    System >> Preferences >> IBus Preferences

You will see a message which reads:
    IBus daemon is not started. Do you want to start it now?
    Click, "Yes"
    After clicking yes, I received the following message:
    IBus has been started! If you can not use IBus, please add below lines in $HOME/.bashrc, and relogin your desktop.
    export GTK_IM_MODULE=ibus
    export XMODIFIERS=@im=ibus
    export QT_IM_MODULE=ibus
    I have not been able to see any difference that these lines make in the ~/.bashrc file. I added these lines and rebooted and then did some testing. Then I took the lines out, rebooted again, and tested again. The behavior of IBus is the same for me either way.

IBus Preferences
    Here is what I selected for Korean input:
    General (tab)
    Check: Show input method name on language bar
    Input Method (tab)
    Select an input method: Korean >> han2
    Click the button: Add

PROBLEM: IBus doesn't start automatically when I restart my computer
    Here is how I solved the problem:
    Go to the menu:
    System >> Preferences >> Startup Applications
    Name: IBus daemon
    Command: /usr/bin/ibus-daemon -d
    Comment: start IBus daemon when Gnome starts

IBus usage tips
    • Input methods can be selected by clicking on an icon (of a keyboard and a tiny globe) in the notification area (the upper right part of the top edge panel)
    • If you click on the icon and it says, "No input window" that just means that there is no window currently selected where text can be entered. Open up a text editor or click some place where text can be entered, and then go back to the IBus icon. You should see the selection of input methods.

Edit: added full path to ibus-daemon
    Last edited by davescafe; October 31st, 2009 at 03:05 PM.

Beans

Davescafe, many thanks for your tip on how to get iBus to start automatically. Works perfectly!

PROBLEM: IBus doesn't start automatically when I restart my computer
    Here is how I solved the problem:
    Go to the menu:
    System >> Preferences >> Startup Applications
    Name: IBus daemon
    Command: /usr/bin/ibus-daemon -d
    Comment: start IBus daemon when Gnome starts

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by pwnedd View Post
    I'd also be interested to see if anyone is successfully using this on Ubuntu 9.04/9.10, specifically for Traditional Chinese Pinyin input?
    I did actually, after some work (just follow what people wrote here). If you want it to work without rebooting or logging out, just restart the ibus daemon:
    Code:
    $ killall ibus-daemon 2>/dev/null
    $ ibus-daemon -d &

Beans

edit: actually below is wrong. You do not need to run ibus as a startup program if you set it to the default input system: System > Administration > Language Support

I was having trouble with the iBus panel applet. When auto-started, the daemon was running, input worked, but no panel applet. When I ran it manually the panel applet showed up. Fixed after I did this setting in iBus preferences:

Quote Originally Posted by davescafe View Post
    General (tab)
    Check: Show input method name on language bar
    In other words, you MUST select "show input method name on language bar" to make the applet show up when auto-started. Apparently this is not necessary when running it manually.

huh, is that THE davescafe??
    Last edited by alexyz; November 9th, 2009 at 04:43 AM.

Beans

I have not been able to see any difference that these lines make in the ~/.bashrc file. I added these lines and rebooted and then did some testing. Then I took the lines out, rebooted again, and tested again. The behavior of IBus is the same for me either way.
    Could you tell me where exactly those 3 lines of text go? I have searched and searched, but don't have any file/folder labeled .bashrc hidden or otherwise. I have no clue what I should do.
    SCIM isn't working for me which is why I am trying IBus.

• If you click on the icon and it says, "No input window" that just means that there is no window currently selected where text can be entered. Open up a text editor or click some place where text can be entered, and then go back to the IBus icon. You should see the selection of input methods.

I get this message in the search bar on google and in Open Office. So it seems for now, I do not have the ability to use other languages.

I'm running 9.10

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by T4K3Z0U View Post
    I have searched and searched, but don't have any file/folder labeled .bashrc hidden or otherwise
    .bashrc is in your home folder - the full path is /home/yourusername/.bashrc

If you don't have one then it either got deleted or somehow was not installed, which is rather strange. In any case if it's not there just create a new file with that name, but I'd recommend figuring out why it's not there.

You need to log out and log in for this to take effect.

BTW the tilde character ~ is a handy shortcut for your home directory, and files whose name begins with a dot are hidden.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast