Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody have an 1101HA with Ubuntu working?

Beans

Question Does anybody have an 1101HA with Ubuntu working?

Hi everybody.

I know there are several posts out there about this pc and others alike, but I never see if people really got those problems solved...

So now I am asking: Has anybody got an Asus Eee Pc 1101HA (the one with 11,6" screen and Z520 CPU) with Ubuntu working on it.
    I mean:

• Using wireless and wired network with no problems
    • Using the 1366x1024 screen resolution WITH compiz/desktop effects working (I know it's not a fast PC, but some of the effects should work)

Please write if you succeeded, if you have had any other problems and how you did solve them (link to guide etc.)

Thank you very much

/Mathias

Beans

Re: Does anybody have an 1101HA with Ubuntu working?

Hi,

I have 1101ha with xubuntu 9.04. everything working but not out of the box. First of all you'll have to compile the ethernet module fro lan card. after that you can add package with backports drivers for wifi. after that the only thing is the graphic driver. intel gma500 is a ****, but you can get even the compiz effects of course, this is on very low details and without speed. I use cpu politic set to "performance" all the time - that's mean use the all power to cpu: 1,33. it's necessary to use eee 1101ha normal. even with all power set up to max this "computer" is a little bit slow and "muddy" during the work.
    you will have to gewmt use to it but that's the price of mobility [4-5h with std battery still with cpu @ 1.33 - i can't wait for extended batteries!!!].

so... almost everything is here: http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/ub...eee-1101-ha/2/ and you can read more on this forum. to get the compiz working you need to edit compiz in /usr/bin - can find on this forum.

I got used to this and have everything working. I reported that sometime my wlan is disconnecting after long thime connected with one network, and I have to restart it [turn the wifi down and turn on]. it will be fixed propably in next kernel update [but it's a minor issue].

greetings from poland
    Last edited by asedas; September 12th, 2009 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If you are looking at getting a portable netbook as well considering the 1101ha you may want to look at the 1005ha. I looked at both and after having a play with both bought a 1005ha, it has better battery and the processor keeps up better than that of the 1101. Unless you despritly need the higher res screen I would suggest the 1005ha. However both are nice laptops and I know that you can get the 1101 working if you decided on that.
    I do not except responsibility for anything that goes wrong with any of the advice I give, be it a broken HDD, an entire computer or if you chop off your arms, follow anything I say at your own risk.
    http://www.rob-ward.co.uk

Beans

Hi,
    I run the 1101HA with UNR 9.04.
    Most things work just fine. But some of my Hotkeys don't work or do something else.
    Does anyone else have this problem?

Beans

yes, some hotkeys doesn't work [eg. brightness keys, touchpad, etc]. it's "normal" [hope new kernel will fix it in future].

Beans

Smile Re: Does anybody have an 1101HA with Ubuntu working?

I'm very happy to know that somebody made it.

I got LAN and WLAN working, but every time I try to figure out the screen it gives me an error message.

Does anybody have a link to a guide to get the right screen resolution and compiz? I have read the GMA 500 thread in this forum, but I can't find anything for this specific computer.

Thanks from a Danish newbie

Beans

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by asedas View Post
    Hi,

I have 1101ha with xubuntu 9.04. everything working but not out of the box. First of all you'll have to compile the ethernet module fro lan card. after that you can add package with backports drivers for wifi. after that the only thing is the graphic driver. intel gma500 is a ****, but you can get even the compiz effects of course, this is on very low details and without speed. I use cpu politic set to "performance" all the time - that's mean use the all power to cpu: 1,33. it's necessary to use eee 1101ha normal. even with all power set up to max this "computer" is a little bit slow and "muddy" during the work.
    you will have to gewmt use to it but that's the price of mobility [4-5h with std battery still with cpu @ 1.33 - i can't wait for extended batteries!!!].

so... almost everything is here: http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/ub...eee-1101-ha/2/ and you can read more on this forum. to get the compiz working you need to edit compiz in /usr/bin - can find on this forum.

I got used to this and have everything working. I reported that sometime my wlan is disconnecting after long thime connected with one network, and I have to restart it [turn the wifi down and turn on]. it will be fixed propably in next kernel update [but it's a minor issue].

greetings from poland

So did you manage to get the internal Mic to work ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

typing here on a 1101ha on lucid (10.04) UNE with working wlan and nice screen res

fn keys, multituch and eee-control are still not working but I guess this is all just a matter of time

Beans

Hi!

I have sucessfully enabled 3D drivers and Compiz. Performance is not really great but I don't know if hardware is actually fast.

In this thread you can find guide:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1229345

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast