Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: terminal question

Beans

terminal question

I'm trying to get a pesky program running (bridge game - GIB). I've been adding libraries as prompted by error messages in terminal. Now when issuing the command to start the program, i no longer get an error message regarding not finding a needed library file. Instead the prompt just shows "c" (without the quotation marks). The program doesn't start, just "c" shows. No "computername:~$". What does this mean?
    thanks

Beans

Re: terminal question

I means that it doesn't work...

Try to get the source code and compile it. Then it may actually work.

Cheers,

Herman

Beans

thanks.
    i've tried every way including compiling manually. no dice.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by sagesparrow View Post
    I'm trying to get a pesky program running (bridge game - GIB).
    Is that GIB from here ?
    http://cirl.uoregon.edu/ginsberg/gibresearch.html
    http://www.gibware.com/

Did you buy it from there, and do they have a Linux version ?
    Or are you trying to run the Windows version ?

Beans

That's the one. My friend (who i convinced to try ubuntu) got it as a gift. On the CD they have a tarball. I am trying to help get it going.

You are provided with the following script in a file named INSTALL:
    #!/bin/sh
    if test $# -eq 0
    then echo "No installation directory supplied; using ."
    set $1 .
    fi
    tar zxf gib-6.1.3.tar.gz -C $1
    cd $1/gib/engine
    cd ..
    ln -s engine/bridge .
    ln -s engine/mb.txt .
    ln -s engine/eval.dat .
    ln -s engine/sample .
    mkdir "Saved Games"
    cd ..

and a readme with the following:
    To install GIB, simply run the INSTALL script. This will install GIB in a subdirectory gib of the current directory; to install GIB in a subdirectory of an arbitrary directory, supply the parent directory as an argument to INSTALL. To run GIB, cd to the gib subdirectory and execute "gib". GIB requires at least a Pentium 133 with 32MB RAM for good performance. These are minimum requirements; if GIB suddenly becomes very sluggish, check that you aren't running other memory or CPU intensive processes which might be competing with GIB for system resources. GIB also requires Red Hat 6.0 or later, or the equivalent. It uses recent versions of gtk, glibc and other libraries. We will occasionally be releasing free updates to GIB. You can check http://www.gibware.com/updates/ to get the lat
    -end-

I'm not sure if this will only work on Red Hat or there is some other problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

That's the one. My friend (who i convinced to try ubuntu) got it as a gift. On the CD they have a tarball. I am trying to help get it going.

You are provided with the following script in a file named INSTALL:
    #!/bin/sh
    Good.
    It's possible that #!/bin/sh is to blame. Some time ago Ubuntu changed the symlink for /bin/sh to /bin/dash.
    Some shell-scripts really need /bin/bash instead.

Please try the following :
    Code:
    ls -la /bin/sh
    sudo rm /bin/sh
    sudo ln -s /bin/bash /bin/sh
    ls -la /bin/sh
    and run the shell script again.

Beans

OK, i'll give it a try. But at some point i gave up on the script and ran through each step manually. it's during that process that i got error messages about the libraries and finally the "c" which was the original question. here's the terminal output (don't ask about the gibs within gibs, that's just the way it happened as i went through various contortions). i added libraries between the errors which lead to the next error message. but i'm going to try your suggestion now and will get back to you.

jk@ub:~$ sudo chmod +x ~/Gib/gib/gib
    [sudo] password for jk:
    jk@ub:~$ ~/Gib/gib/gib
    /home/jk/Gib/gib/gib: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    jk@ub:~$ sudo find / -name libgtk-1.2.so.0*
    /home/jk/Gib/gib/gib: error while loading shared libraries: libgtk-1.2.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    jk@ub:~$ !!
    ~/Gib/gib/gib
    /home/jk/Gib/gib/gib: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    ~/Gib/gib/gib
    /home/jk/Gib/gib/gib: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    ~/Gib/gib/gib
    jk@ub:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libpng.so.3 /usr/lib/libpng.so.2
    [sudo] password for jk:
    /home/jk/Gib/gib/gib: error while loading shared libraries: libtiff.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    jk@ub:~$ sudo ln -s /usr/lib/libtiff.so.4 /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
    c

Beans

I'm somewhat reluctant to remove /bin/sh. It's linked to something. Could you explain what these instructions are doing and why i'm not going to screw up something.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm somewhat reluctant to remove /bin/sh. It's linked to something. Could you explain what these instructions are doing and why i'm not going to screw up something.
    I included the "ls -la /bin/sh" before and after the commands so you can see the difference.

/bin/sh is a symbolic link, if you do "ls -la /bin/sh" then you can see that it is linked to /bin/dash

The next command removes /bin/sh and then the symbolic link is created again, but now pointing to /bin/bash instead.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

This is the older libgtk, install it with :
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install libgtk1.2
    and try again to see whether the error is gone.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast