Thread: pc hangs on start up

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Red face pc hangs on start up

hi there, I have installed jaunty on a test PC two days ago and everything seems to be working fine. I was able to install the Office 2007 on it and works fine. however when I started it up this morning, it hanged and stayed on the post boot screen, " starting up" and just stayed there... what could be the problem with this? I restarted the system (pressing the reset button) and still the same. The PC that Im using was an old PC that I got from a friend. I couldnt identify the mobo since it has no identifier on it, except that is was made in korea, had a 16 mb asus video card, 10 Gig HD, 512 SDRAM, running on an intel celeron Pentium III 700 MHZ... could this be an installation problem or a hardware one? Thanks....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: pc hangs on start up

I have seen Ubuntu do this a couple of times in my house. Do you, by chance have something in one of the USB slots OTHER than a mouse or keyboard. I have seen WACOM tablets AND USB Keys "freeze" Ubuntu from booting. When I unplugged them and restarted everything worked correctly.

It took me forever to figure out tht the WACOM tablet would sometimes prevent my girlfriend's desktop from booting. Not all the time, just part of the time.

I have not been able to figure out why this happens, but I did find a simple "solution".

I hope this helps.
    Please Insert Funny Statement Here.

Beans

same happened to me when a printer was plugged in

Beans
    Distro

Wink Re: pc hangs on start up

thanks for the quick reply....did a visual check inside the PC and I found out that the sound card had its screw missing and wasnt inserted properly into its slot. so I fitted it properly and restarted the system...it went through the boot message but it said something like device unknown...ignoring....then would hang again...so i took out the sound card, restarted again and it worked...Im replying to this post right now on this PC...will try to insert the sound card again and see if it works...and by the way, how can I add new hardware on jaunty? in case this sound card still works....thanks again....

additional woe:
    cant play video on websites, getting this msg:
    CNTRLS=undefined, ID=undefined
    PLIST=http://l.yming.com/m/ver/271015/player-2009-08-24-1330/blankml?&pt=xml
    SERVER=undefined
    BITRATE=undefined
    PLPATH=undefined
    CACHEPATH=undefined
    undefined:undefined
    NC_MSG=NetConnection.Connect.Success
    NS_MSG=NetStream.Play.Stop
    PLAYSTATE=stopped
    TIME=2.068/2.068
    BUFFER=undefined/undefined

thanks again
    Last edited by demeter; September 6th, 2009 at 05:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So you installed office 2007 ? How ? Not on wine, I guess...

As for the sound card:
    Did it worked with ubuntu before?
    Which model is it? If a sound blaster (for example), chances are that it will work out of the box (unless it's broken).
    What's even more important than free software? - OPEN FORMATS.

Beans
    Distro

yup, installed the office with wine, is there another way to go around with it? just started with linux 2 days ago and still has a lot learn with this OS, anyway, the sound card is somewhat loose when I checked so I do think it wasnt detected when I installed the jaunty, and havent tried the audio too when I first ran, its kinda old, a PCI one, the prints on the board are somewhat erased but there's a chip that has creative printed on it and on the back that says " Eureka PCI 64"....thanks...