Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HP DV3 Laptop Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Post HP DV3 Laptop Thread

I have created this thread for people to post problems and solutions for the HP DV3 (or possibly other HP DV laptops, as problems and solutions may work for these). Please give the processor architecture, the ubuntu version and any other relevant information.

The problems I have seen (Intel x86, Jaunty):

• Nvidia Card (Geforce 9300M GS) doesn't work (compiz visual effects can't be enabled)
    • Sound output doesn't work through speakers but it does work through headphones
    • Integrated microphones don't work (tested with audacity)
    • Fingerprint scanner doesn't work (even with fprint driver)
    • Touch controls appear to work but then cause top Gnome panel to crash (I've tried the volume controls, which adjust the volume accordingly but afterwards, clicking on applications, system, places or any applets on the top panel does nothing)
    • Ajusting the screen brightness in ubuntu seems to have no effect on actual screen brightness (always max)
    • Remote control (IR) has no effect

I will post any solutions I find. If anyone else finds solutions, please post them and if anyone has any different problems, please post them as someone else may have the solution.
    Last edited by dv3500ea; July 23rd, 2010 at 03:50 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Re: HP DV3 Laptop Thread

I have solved two of these problems with some help from these forums:
    To fix the Nvidia Card, I installed the latest Linux driver from their website (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run)
    and saved it in /home.

Then, from the desktop I hit Ctrl-Alt-F1.
    This went to a full screen CLI logon.
    I logged on with my username and password
    I then executed these commands
    Code:
     cd /home
      sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop
      sudo chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run
      sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-185.18.36-pkg1.run
    It then went through the installer and returned back to the CLI
    I then typed.
    Code:
     sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start
    It returned to the GUI.
    To enable visual effects I added compiz to startup in system->preferences->startup with the comand 'compiz'.
    I then typed
    Code:
    sudo nvidia-xconfig --add-argb-glx-visuals
    into a terminal.

The sound output problem was fixed by typing:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    into a terminal and then adding:
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4 enable_msi=1
    to the end of the file.

Beans

Lightbulb HP DV3 Laptop Audio Control

I have experienced most of these problems on my dv3540tx using Xubuntu 9.04 kernel 2.6.28-15.

I have been able to get touch sound keys working by first running xev to find out corresponding keycodes and then mapping these under Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts:

XF86AudioLowerVolume amixer sset Master playback 4.0-
    XF86AudioRaiseVolume amixer sset Master playback 4.0+
    XF86AudioMute amixer sset Master playback toggle

The numbers 4.0 are arbitrary decibel steps, feel free to adjust them to suit you.

I also found that I had to lower the key repeat rate, so that the volume goes up and down at a controllable rate when I press the up/down touch keys.

The most annoying problem to date for my HP DV3 is lack of brightness control. The FN+F7 and FN+F8 do not work, and I can adjust the value in /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness but it has no effect on actual brightness. Looks like an ACPI problem that needs patching up in the kernel, so I'm waiting for the next release.

Also, check out this great tutorial written for HP Pavilion laptops:

http://aldeby.org/blog/index.php/how...series-laptops

Beans
    Distro

Re: HP DV3 Laptop Audio Control

Quote Originally Posted by dv3540tx View Post
    I have experienced most of these problems on my dv3540tx using Xubuntu 9.04 kernel 2.6.28-15.

I have been able to get touch sound keys working by first running xev to find out corresponding keycodes and then mapping these under Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts:

XF86AudioLowerVolume amixer sset Master playback 4.0-
    XF86AudioRaiseVolume amixer sset Master playback 4.0+
    XF86AudioMute amixer sset Master playback toggle

The numbers 4.0 are arbitrary decibel steps, feel free to adjust them to suit you.

I also found that I had to lower the key repeat rate, so that the volume goes up and down at a controllable rate when I press the up/down touch keys.

The most annoying problem to date for my HP DV3 is lack of brightness control. The FN+F7 and FN+F8 do not work, and I can adjust the value in /proc/acpi/video/VGA/LCD/brightness but it has no effect on actual brightness. Looks like an ACPI problem that needs patching up in the kernel, so I'm waiting for the next release.

Also, check out this great tutorial written for HP Pavilion laptops:

http://aldeby.org/blog/index.php/how...series-laptops
    I agree that there must be something wrong with ACPI (not that I know what that is) as whenever I start up two errors are momentarily printed on the screen:
    ACPI: Invalid PBLK length [8]
    ACPI: Invalid PBLK length [8]

Beans

Hi I posted a question about my dv3 at another thread, at this address:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...=1#post7925723

I'll copy it here:

No Audio on my Hp Pavilion dv3-2007tx perminantly muted
    Firstly I'll sum up: I have No audio through speakers or headphones when running Ubuntu. I have touch controls above the keyboard, I can use them to make ubuntu increase volume, decrease volume, mute and unmute. When I am using windows the touch control for muting changes colour, orange for mute, white* for not mute. When I run Ubuntu it is always Orange.
    Oh, and I'm a linux nube.

Ok so I bought me this new laptop, I was shocked to discover that no matter how powerful your system, windows can still clog it up... Programs crashed and internet dropped out.
    I booted up Ubuntu and was pleasantly surprised to find my wireless internet worked fine. It seems to handle everything on my laptop fine, except for the audio.

I am grateful to all who took time to read. I would appreciate any help or suggestions, thanks you very much.

After posting that, I followed the instructions posted by dv3500ea concerning audio control. I placed "options snd-hda-intel model=hp-m4 enable_msi=1" as the bottom line of that text file ect...

Well the touch-control light for "mute" is now always white, (in windows this would indicate unmuted). But unfortunately I still have no audio.

Thanks, and once again all help is very much appreciated.

Beans

After spending many, many hours searching for solutions concerning my dv3-2155mx (Jaunty 9.04 64 bit), I thought I'd post my successes in hopes that it would help someone:

Flawless sound and internal mic functionality:
    1. Install the latest ALSA drivers. I installed 1.0.20 via this link, but watch out for his tar extract commands, which didn't work for me:
    http://monespaceperso.org/blog-en/20...tu-jaunty-904/

2. Edit alsa-base.conf:
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
    3. Then add (note the model is hp-dv5):
    Code:
    options snd-hda-intel model=hp-dv5 enable_msi=1
    Hibernate and suspend work out of the box, but upon resuming, the battery state cannot be read. However, if you kill the gnome power manager and start it yourself with verbose logging, the battery info comes back somehow (just discovered this as I gave up and was filing a bug with bugzilla.gome.org):
    Code:
    killall gnome-power-manager
    gnome-power-manager --no-daemon --verbose
    If anyone knows how to adjust the screen brightness, it would be much appreciated.

Beans

Hey dude i bought HP pavilion dv3 2155mx i installed Ubuntu 9.04 but now wireless n mute buttons won't work how can i fix it ???

Beans

I'm in the exact same boat as Marrakech. Same model and problems (not surprisingly). I'm also a complete nube. I just downloaded it two days ago and i've read through the pocket guide but thats about it.
    Since i have no way of connecting to the internet while i'm using Ubuntu i would like a solution that allows me to download from another location and transport it via thumbdrive, cd, or dvd.
    Also, the sound issue is not nearly as important as the lack of internet.

I really, really want to break my Windows shackles, but i feel trapped.

Thanx

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by thriftshopvinyl View Post
    Since i have no way of connecting to the internet while i'm using Ubuntu i would like a solution that allows me to download from another location and transport it via thumbdrive, cd, or dvd.
    Try keryx, that's what I use as I can't connect to the internet using my USB ADSL modem that was made for windows xp. It is a package manager that you can use on a connected pc to download software then install on your Ubuntu computer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Marrakech View Post
    Hey dude i bought HP pavilion dv3 2155mx i installed Ubuntu 9.04 but now wireless n mute buttons won't work how can i fix it ???
    Hi, i can the same laptop, and whit ubuntu 9.04 i have the same problem whit the wireless and sound

the wireless fix I could solve it with http://yoyofv.com/2009/02/06/instala...ar-senal-wifi/

but the sound not has been possible

i don't know if exist other problems.

if you can solve the sound problem please help me.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast