Thread: How to clean up music collection

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to clean up music collection

Hi Ya'll,
    I am wanting to clean up my music collection. A serious cleaning. I was looking around on line and the windows and mac guys get some acoustic type programs that allow them to play the track and have it automatically identified. I have mis-tagged, badly spelled, multiple formats, etc, etc....

Do I need to use multiple programs or can I use one or two?

Thank Ya'll
    Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04, Compaq Presario CQ60, AMD Sempron 64bit, NVIDIA Graphics and a bitchin' Toyota 4Runner!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: How to clean up music collection

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP79 View Post
    Hi Ya'll,
    I am wanting to clean up my music collection. A serious cleaning. I was looking around on line and the windows and mac guys get some acoustic type programs that allow them to play the track and have it automatically identified. I have mis-tagged, badly spelled, multiple formats, etc, etc....

Do I need to use multiple programs or can I use one or two?

Thank Ya'll
    EasyTag should help you out. You can find it in Synaptic (System > Administration > Synaptic).

It allows you to change all aspects of your music files, like the name, file name, notes, etc. Great for "fixing" your music collection.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks, I'll check it out. Can it do the acoustic identifying? I have some that also have no title other then track1.
    Ubuntu Lucid Lynx 10.04, Compaq Presario CQ60, AMD Sempron 64bit, NVIDIA Graphics and a bitchin' Toyota 4Runner!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by AndyP79 View Post
    Thanks, I'll check it out. Can it do the acoustic identifying? I have some that also have no title other then track1.
    I don't think so.

However, acoustic identifying (ala Apple) only works if that particular song is in the database. So, if you have a song that is relatively new and Top 40, it would be identified...but if it was older and not Top 40, you would likely never have it identified.
    This is a signature. It is original.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

EasyTag identifies CD's using the CDDB and freedb.org.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CDDB

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedb

The database has about 2,000,000 CD's- not just the latest, so give it a go.

EDIT: Sorry, you're talking about MP3's aren't you? I'm a bit dense tonight.

EasyTag also uses MusicBrainz which has acoustic fingerprinting, although I've never tried this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MusicBrainz

You can also do a manual search of the database which might work for ripped tracks.
    Last edited by FreewheelinFrank; September 5th, 2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added afterthought

Beans
    Hidden!

Again Easytag isn't using acoustics.. MusicBrainz Picard is the only program I can think of for Ubuntu. It scans the song and creates an audio fingerprint
    Info on Audio Fingerprinting

Hope that helps!

Oh, almost forgot, it is available in Add/Remove Applications!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

okay, so i see where it does it, but this is a little complicated. is there somewhere i can get some easy to read instructions? Plus, when i try to run a album, it will give me 50 artists to choose from, none of which are the one I am looking for, by artists that are no where near the originals style, like it asked if this 311 album was Gloria Estefan?? I don't think I am doing this right.
    Anyone got some tips on how to use this Easytag properly?
    Thanks for the help so far

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by MJWitter View Post
    Again Easytag isn't using acoustics.. MusicBrainz Picard is the only program I can think of for Ubuntu. It scans the song and creates an audio fingerprint
    Info on Audio Fingerprinting

Hope that helps!

Oh, almost forgot, it is available in Add/Remove Applications!
    Live and learn!

Thanks- I can see now that EasyTag doesn't use MusicBrainz.org to do accoustic fingerprints, but MusixBrainz (program) will do the acoustic fingerprint ('Scan').

Just tried it with an old Zappa track and it nailed it- so it works on old stuff as well as new.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

I use both MusicBrainz Picard & EasyTag for my music collection. Both are very good.
    Lubuntu 11.10