Thread: Lost IPBlocker and Firestarter's panel icons

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Lost IPBlocker and Firestarter's panel icons

I used to have small icons in the right-hand section of my top panel bar that allowed me to maximize & minimize Firestarter and IPBlock by clicking on the icons. I accidentally deleted them. Can anyone help me get them back? I tried toggling off and on the “Enable tray icon” in Firestarter's preferences. That didn't work. IPBlocker apparently doesn't have a similar toggle. Rebooting my pc didn't bring them back. I know how to add the programs to the panel as launchers, but I want the icons functioning to allow maximize and minimize. Thanks in advance for any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Lost IPBlocker and Firestarter's panel icons

You could try a quick reinstall of Firestarter.

Incidentally, why do you have Firestarter running all the time anyway? It's only a config tool, you don't need to leave it running to be protected.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, paqman. I tried the reinstall of Firestarter and then a reboot of the pc. That didn't work. I don't run Firestarter all the time, but when I do, I sure would like the icon back the top panel that maximizes-minimizes the program. Ditto for IPBlocker.

Any other possible solutions from anybody, please?

Beans
    Distro

I just noticed something: It's not only Firestarter and IPBlocker that I can't dock to the panel. Neither will Deluge or Audacious. I also have Alltray installed and when I use it to dock a program, the program just disappears!

What the heck did I do to cause this behavior? More importantly, how do I get back to where I can dock an application???

Beans

Right click on the panel and click "add to panel" and then choose "notification area" from the list. I think thats the problem anyways.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks, Soulcage. When I did what you said on the top panel, nothing happened. When I did it on the bottom panel, I got the Firestarter icon back and – something I hadn't noticed before – the icon that says “Wired network connection...” Guess the disappearance of the network connection icon had escaped my notice. The IPBlocker icon still didn't show up on the bottom panel, but the icons for Audacious and Deluge do. And I can use Alltray now to dock a program but only to the bottom panel.

I tried drag & dropping the bottom panel docked icons to their rightful places in the upper right top panel. That didn't work. Anybody have a solution, please? I appreciate all the help I'm getting here.

Beans
    Distro

Problem solved thanks to Soulcage pointing out the notification area applet. In my haste to try out his suggestion, I at first added several notification area applets to both my top and bottom panels, and this apparently got things “confused” as to where the icons for the running applications should go. I could not see any of the notification area applets because of my dark color theme. I temporarily changed to a lighter theme so all those notification area icons were visible, deleted the superfluous ones, rebooted, and I'm back in business.

Thanks, Soulcage!