Thread: virtual machine redistribution

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

virtual machine redistribution

Hello,

I am curious about exactly what the GPL applies to. I know someone who has a copy of openSuSE, and therefor has agreed to the GPL license.

He has made modifications to the distro, "repackaged it" he says. I assume this means he has just added/removed/configured packages on the vm. Does he own the copyright on the vm? Can he forbid people that he gives a copy of the vm to from redistributing it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: virtual machine redistribution

Quote Originally Posted by colsandurz View Post
    He has made modifications to the distro, "repackaged it" he says. I assume this means he has just added/removed/configured packages on the vm. Does he own the copyright on the vm? Can he forbid people that he gives a copy of the vm to from redistributing it?
    No he does not have copyright over anything that has been GPLed. If he modifies the code then the new version he wrote is also GPLed and anyone can ask for and receive the source code, if that doesn't hold he is breaking copyright laws.

GPL is a copyright (copyleft) and has to be followed.

I dont know about redistributing. There might be programs he owns on there, I have no idea.