Thread: Selling Ubuntu

Beans

Selling Ubuntu

Hey there guys,

I have done a bit of searching on the forums but never really found the thread that I had hoped for. I have been using Linux now for a good while and I have found it to be a very comfortable and complete solution for my non gaming computing needs. My day job is working in IT and I support strictly Windows systems. With all the touble with the economy here in the US I have found that my day job just isn't cutting it. What I have decided to do is to try to make a little money on the side. I have done this previously to varying degrees of success. What I would like to do though is offer Linux installs as a replacement for Windows. I am looking for marketing ideas, thoughts, and ramblings. Has anybody tried this with any success?
    I am not a fool I understand that many people will hear the word Linux and their eyes will glaze over. Some will be scared but I can't image that there is no market for this service. I have setup systems for some friends and even for my Mom. They are able to use Ubuntu or Mint whatever they were comfortable with and they have never looked back. What kind of presentation or pitch do you think would be most successful? Again I am just looking for ideas. I know that I won't ever replace my day job with this but if I could pull in an extra hundred dollars or so a week and feel like I actually helped somebody that would be awesome. I appreciate your responses in advance.

George

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Selling Ubuntu

First you should look into getting you're LPIC Level 1 Cert or Comptia Linux+ Cert and you could do freelance Linux administration. I do freelance right now but I won't have my certs until the end of September. ( LPIC Level 1,Comptia Linux+,and Ubuntu Certified Professional cert I also plan on getting my SuSE CLP by the end of the year.)

RYAN.WDZIECZNY
    Last edited by R_W322; September 4th, 2009 at 05:51 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Selling Ubuntu

This isn't a support question, moved to the Cafe.

To the OP If you can make money installing and supporting Linux distributions, go for it.