Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Updates slow down computer

Beans
    Hidden!

Updates slow down computer!

Every time there's a new update available, my computer slows to a crawl for about 2-3 minutes until finally the update manager window pops up. If I decide to install the update/s... I have to stop what I'm doing, until it finishes the update/s, because my computer pretty much comes to a dead stop. I'm just wondering if this is normal?
    Last edited by Tipped OuT; September 4th, 2009 at 02:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Updates slow down computer

I've never seen this problem. What hardware are you using? Have you installed any unusual software?

Beans
    Hidden!

634 MB's of RAM

Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped OuT View Post
    634 MB's of RAM

Pentium 4 3.2 Ghz
    That doesn't sound like a lot of ram for a computer new enough to have a Pentium 4 processor. I'd suggest upgrading to at least 1 GB. You'll notice a significant speed improvement if you do that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by dearingj View Post
    That doesn't sound like a lot of ram for a computer new enough to have a Pentium 4 processor. I'd suggest upgrading to at least 1 GB. You'll notice a significant speed improvement if you do that.
    I have a laptop that has 465mb of RAM and a Pentium 4 that's only 2.8ghz. My system doesn't have this problem so I don't think your analysis is correct.

Tipped Out, what processes do you normally have running?

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzman54 View Post
    I have a laptop that has 465mb of RAM and a Pentium 4 that's only 2.8ghz. My system doesn't have this problem so I don't think your analysis is correct.

Tipped Out, what processes do you normally have running?
    Doesn't matter what processes I have running, it's always like that. It's just the normal default Ubuntu installation, nothing added at all.

The only program I'd have running would be firefox, for example, and then an update becomes available and the system comes to a crawl. It's sickening. That's my only problem with Linux so far.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by Tipped OuT View Post
    Doesn't matter what processes I have running, it's always like that. It's just the normal default Ubuntu installation, nothing added at all.

The only program I'd have running would be firefox, for example, and then an update becomes available and the system comes to a crawl. It's sickening. That's my only problem with Linux so far.

What type of connection to the Internet do you have? It's possible that Update is hogging the bandwidth and causing a general slow down of the system while the system is waiting for a time out. I have always had that problem with BitTorrent (see my other posts on that subject). I have never experienced the slow down effect with Update, however, but I think that if there are connection problems that may be a possibility.

HTH, YMMV
    System: Ubuntu 10.10
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 4600+
    Gnome: 2.32.0
    Homebrew Workstation

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by misterfixit View Post
    What type of connection to the Internet do you have? It's possible that Update is hogging the bandwidth and causing a general slow down of the system while the system is waiting for a time out. I have always had that problem with BitTorrent (see my other posts on that subject). I have never experienced the slow down effect with Update, however, but I think that if there are connection problems that may be a possibility.

HTH, YMMV
    Wireless. It's laptop I'm using. I also have a direct connection (Ethernet cable) but I only use that for when I have no WIFI drivers and I need to download them.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

What graphics card are you running? I had a similar problem when i had a radeon card with the proprietary drivers installed.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cdbitesky View Post
    What graphics card are you running? I had a similar problem when i had a radeon card with the proprietary drivers installed.
    ATI Radeon 9100/9000 IGP 128 MB's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast