Thread: Laptop-mode not running in Ubuntu 9.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Angry Laptop-mode not running in Ubuntu 9.04

I have a laptop. I was checking out this laptop-mode-tools website today. Then there was this line:

How do I check if laptop mode is enabled?

Execute cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode. If it contains a nonzero value, then laptop mode is enabled, if it says 0, then it isn't.
    I tried to cat out that file, but it says 0. I checked to see that I have laptop-mode-tools package installed. Can someone help regarding how to enable this? Because I tried /etc/init.d/laptop-mode start, but it was still 0.

Please note that all commands were executed as root. So, privileges was not the problem.
    Open Source softwares and hardwares are all about you. So, "FREE YOUR MIND!"
    Visioplanet Photography photoblog
    Visioplanet Photography tips and tricks
    Open Source: The future

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Laptop-mode not running in Ubuntu 9.04

Hi,

Even if you have laptop-mode-tools installed, it isn't enabled by default. See this link for details of how to enable laptop mode -

http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Instal...le_Laptop_Mode

I've tried the various laptop mode scripts and found things to be a little buggy, to say the least - YMMV. Still, it's worth trying - I'm assuming you're hoping to extend battery life, etc. It would seem from my 'Googling' that some laptops respond better than others.