Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

Beans

Re: Linguistic survey on ubuntuforums.org

I think it would have been better if the usernames had been altered to protect the identities of the original posters.
    I have to say that this is a very valid point - I remember having this on my list to consider more thoroughly. In the rush during the last days I did not come to a final conclusion and it slipped through.

I still can think of some reasons for not altering the posters' identities, however. One is that I wanted the context of the posts as authentic as possible - and the user name is a very important part of that.

Another is that this survey is NOT an attempt to judge certain behavior - it tries to find out what different people perceive with regard to these posts. It is definitely not going to result in a prescriptive set of communicative "rules", thereby stigmatizing other verbal behavior. Ubuntuforums.org has a very clear Code of Conduct for the extreme cases - this survey is trying to find out whether, apart from the extremes, there are different perceptions between native and non-native speakers on English - and raise awareness with regard to that.

Finally, and that is the most pragmatic reason, anybody who is really interested in the poster's identities would have known them within a few seconds, by using the forum search. It is a (unsettling) side effect of public internet communication that there is no real anonymity, thanks to full text indexing and search engines.

I'm glad you brought up this issue, however, and really hope that nobody feels judged or even uncomfortable by the inclusion in the survey. This is definitely NOT the intention of this survey, and I apologize if this should be the case. I can't change the user names in the survey now, but I will alter them in the analytics chapter I write for my paper.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aguafuertes View Post
    I'm glad you brought up this issue, however, and really hope that nobody feels judged or even uncomfortable by the inclusion in the survey. This is definitely NOT the intention of this survey, and I apologize if this should be the case. I can't change the user names in the survey now, but I will alter them in the analytics chapter I write for my paper.
    It could have an interesting side effect, though. I've always wondered how other users perceive what I write. Being able to read through all the different responses would be an interesting experience.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CalvinB View Post
    How soon until we get to see the code? I suggest github or gitorious for code hosting.
    I calculate that it won't be before Mid-November, depending on how well the writing of the paper and the analytics module goes. Keep nudging me from time to time

Don't get up your hopes too high, though - it is a very specialized app, developed by a python newbie to do just this kind of survey. That is the great thing about Django - it lets you create something for your specific use case quite fast. But I would really like it if people find even this small app useful for their purposes - and probably improve it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    I recognized chriskin immediately, was like.. "wow, these are real posts!" my answer to that is confidential

I admit, I've taken a linguistics course before so I might be a tainted sample
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_267 View Post
    Anyone else worried they were going to show up in one of the threads?

Edit: Haha I see chriskin was now, can't remember if the post was rude or not though!
    can't remember...confidential...we all know what it means about the answers

If he was trying to protect privacy, he would have to change 1)names 2)avatars 3)signatures
    it's too much work for nothing - after all they were our posts, we chose to write them and make them public , so there is no violation of privacy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by chriskin View Post
    he would have to change 1)names 2)avatars 3)signatures
    True, and even then it would be very easy to find the original threads, using the forum search or Google.

I still see the point Giant Speck made, and that's why I'll change the user names for the analytic part of the paper. And that's why I'm glad you are fine with the survey

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by aguafuertes View Post
    I calculate that it won't be before Mid-November, depending on how well the writing of the paper and the analytics module goes. Keep nudging me from time to time

Don't get up your hopes too high, though - it is a very specialized app, developed by a python newbie to do just this kind of survey. That is the great thing about Django - it lets you create something for your specific use case quite fast. But I would really like it if people find even this small app useful for their purposes - and probably improve it.
    Auruahg! I want that code naow! *nudge* *nudge* *kick*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I took the survey as well it was, as others have mentioned, Fun. I really would like to see an app like that made available for others to use.

OS: Kubuntu 12.04 LTS|| CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 || RAM: 3GB DDR2(PC-6400) || Display: NVIDIA GeForce 9400 GT 1024mb

Beans

Some first stats

Hi everybody,

the response I got so far has been really great, thanks! I took a snapshot of the survey and compiled some quick demographic stats, for those who are interested:

http://blog.openinformation.org/atti...de-static.html

It is not real-time, but I will update it daily, if time permits. 90 participants in ~ 28 hours, of whom 76 completed the survey - that is impressive! I plan to run the survey for 2-3 weeks, and if participation continues like that, I'm in statistic heaven

It already shows quite nicely how international the ubuntuforums.org community is - with the US and Great Britain in front. It also seems to confirm the impression that, still, the majority of members in a Free Software community are male. But as I said, this is just a first quick shot...

If you haven't taken the survey yet and would like to do so now, here is the link again: http://attitude.openinformation.org/survey/start/

And for the screencast:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-T64MT5Gp8

Thanks again!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CalvinB View Post
    Auruahg! I want that code naow! *nudge* *nudge* *kick*
    That is not exactly what I meant by "nudging me from time to time", but ok

I really would like to see an app like that made available for others to use
    I will do that, but as I said before, definitely not before mid-November. I'm really glad people like it and want to use it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.10 Karmic Koala

I liked it. I hope it is helpful to you and people taking it.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast