Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: rEFIt, Ubuntu, & Snow Leopard - Why don't they play nice?

Beans

rEFIt, Ubuntu, & Snow Leopard - Why don't they play nice?

First post, long time reader. Thanks for all of your past and future help. I hope when I know enough to chime in I can be of as much assistance as ya'll have been thus far. Anyway, I just posted this over at the Apple Discussion forums, and I'm sure it'll only get me the typical "flash your PRAM" or "erase everything and start over" responses:

I've joyously dual booted my unibody MB Pro since buying it in February with no major issues. I used Boot Camp Assistant to make a partition for Ubuntu and installed rEFIt to serve as my boot loader so I can choose which OS to boot into.

Today I brought home 10.6, Snow Leopard and, following the directions, encountered the inability to install it over my 10.5 partition. My hard drive has the triangle and "!". Following the guidance of another post I attempted to resize my disk and I'm presented with the following:

"Partition Failed
    Partition failed with the error:
    MediaKit reports no such partition."

Any ideas that don't involve messing up my Ubuntu install?

Beans

Re: rEFIt, Ubuntu, & Snow Leopard - Why don't they play nice?

I've got a similar issue with Snow Leopard and a Linux install.
    My log file says that my drive is not bootable. Yet, here I sit in a booted OS X 10.5.8
    BTW, I removed rEFIt and there are no changes.

I too am interested if anyone has any ideas.

Beans

kphinney

Well I got my mac updated to 10.6
    For a lot of people they chose to use the disk utility to move the partition a bit off and then back to the original point. Then click the apply button. No partitions are changed it just rewrites the partition table. For me this didn't work because I didn't use boot camp to install Linux. So I had to remove Linux all together and then use the partition editor to extend my OSX partition to the whole disk. I deleted Linux.

But it worked and since I rarely boot Linux up on my mac it was a good fix for me.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by tubasoldier View Post
    kphinney

Well I got my mac updated to 10.6
    For a lot of people they chose to use the disk utility to move the partition a bit off and then back to the original point. Then click the apply button. No partitions are changed it just rewrites the partition table. For me this didn't work because I didn't use boot camp to install Linux. So I had to remove Linux all together and then use the partition editor to extend my OSX partition to the whole disk. I deleted Linux.

But it worked and since I rarely boot Linux up on my mac it was a good fix for me.
    Thanks Tubasoldier.

Erasing Ubuntu is what I'd really like to avoid.
    (Unless someone can remind me how to backup the user installed packages and settings?)

Wiggling the partition doesn't do it for me.
    Well, more specifically, I cannot wiggle it. Hitting Apply gives me the above error and my partitions are left unchanged.

Thanks and I appreciate your response.

Beans

I'm in the same situation- I'm unable to wiggle the partitions. I'm willing to lose my ubuntu partition, but I was not able to do so using disk utility.

Thanks as always for the great advice.

Edit: I've also removed refit, but I'm getting the same error message as kphinney when I try to make any change to the partitions. Ubuntu studio is installed on the linux partition.

Edit 2: For those who may be interested, tomorrow morning I'll try shaking the partition table around with gparted and then see what happens, unless someone here comes up with a better idea first. I'll let you know how it goes.
    Last edited by quailman67; September 3rd, 2009 at 06:20 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

What kind of partition table are you using? If I remember correctly 10.6 requires GUID. How did you install 10.6?

Snow Leopard worked perfectly for me. I did a fresh install to the partition I had for OS X and then I did a restore from a Time Machine backup. This even reinstalled rEFIt for me, and I didn't need to adjust any settings.

Hopefully with a little more info we can figure out how to make your partitions play nice again.

Beans

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone else, but I was able to boot off a live cd and run gparted to remove my linux and swap partitions. As soon as I did this I was able to install 10.6 no problem. Disk utility under OS X was then able to stretch my mac partition back to take the whole drive.

Beans

Thanks quailman67 & buttertoad,
    I'll try shaking the partitions using gparted later today. Just so we're clear - you didn't loose your Ubunto ability Quailman?

Buttertoad - I'm glad to hear it worked for you without any screwing around, but I'd love to know what is different between your machine and mine.
    Intel MB Pro
    rEFIt
    Ubunto
    OSX 10.5.8
    Installed OSX then used Boot Camp Utility to resize my partition to allow 40GB for Ubuntu.

All worked well, until now.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

kphinney, I think the only difference between your setup and mine is I did NOT use boot camp at all. I just set up some free space using Disk Utility in OS X and then I booted from the Ubuntu disc.

Are you running the 10.6 installer from OS X or are you booting from the 10.6 disc? I did a fresh install from the disc then migrated a time machine backup. That might be more forgiving of your partition setup.

Mac partitions can be touchy, I bricked my MBP only two hours after I first got it, but I think we can get it straightened out. The real question is how long do you want to devote to figuring this out. It might be easier to backup your Ubuntu and wipe that partition so you can install 10.6 then reinstall Ubuntu and restore the backup.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by buttertoad View Post
    kphinney, I think the only difference between your setup and mine is I did NOT use boot camp at all. I just set up some free space using Disk Utility in OS X and then I booted from the Ubuntu disc.
    I believe the problem is that the snow leopard upgrade needs 128MB free space immediately proceeding the osx partition being upgraded. If you use boot camp to split your partitions you will notice it does this.

A couple of users in this apple discussion have confirmed this to be the case, for them at least.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast