Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Arch Linux: It's a virus I tell ya!

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: It's a virus I tell ya!

sidux being cutting edge and rolling release is also another excellent option to arch. It has a KISS policy and is among the fastest distros out there.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by hessiess View Post
    Rolling release, simplicity.
    Neither are unique.
    Arch has quite a twisted interpretation of the word simplicity....

Quote Originally Posted by Metallion View Post
    In the end all distros are very similar... It's all linux. I'm not going to attempt anything as silly as trying to name something no other distro has. I just like the things that Arch has and so I'm using it.
    That's great and I'm happy for you, but why do you and your fellow Archers feel the need to prattle on about Archery in the Ubuntu forums so much?
    Are you looking to recruit converts to your faith or are you reinforcing your choice and justifying it to yourselves?

Stand back a minute and look at it objectively and you'll see how ridiculous it is.
    Still not convinced?
    Well how about if I posted in the Arch forums about how fantastic Ubuntu is and how it's great that you can get to spend twenty or thirty minutes every six months installing a new release and how it just works and has a massive support forum and it's got Synaptic and it's really brilliant and you oughta try it and it's really cool to have on your CV and did you know that a really cool space tourist dude and at least two nobel prize winners support it, and did you know it's got a really unique brown theme?

See now how daft you all look?

Quote Originally Posted by Skripka View Post
    For starters there's AUR. But then again you're not really interested in the topic anyway, so why waste ascii bytes?
    My interest in Arch merely extends to having discussion of it banned from the Ubuntu forums.
    I doubt that will ever happen but I live in hope.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by sisco311 View Post
    it's the distribution that best suits my needs.
    That's fine, discussion of it is openly welcomed here.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    All? Do all Arch users do this? Really?

Beans
    Hidden!

Said and done, arch good or not will never be Ubuntu, I will never even dare for once to peddle arch to a Windows refugee, that would be the end of that person's Linux journey for sure. Ubuntu is the de facto distro thats putting Linux single handedly on the map and its for the very reason, Linux is now gaining popularity. Many Windows users are now curiuous about Linux and when I show them Ubuntu desktop and the myriads of software available, they are totally impressed. Then I show them how easy it is to run Live CD and install Ubuntu, its double WOW. I think few distros around accomplish it like Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by gn2 View Post
    That's great and I'm happy for you, but why do you and your fellow Archers feel the need to prattle on about Archery in the Ubuntu forums so much?
    Are you looking to recruit converts to your faith or are you reinforcing your choice and justifying it to yourselves?
    A lot of people started with Ubuntu before moving to other distros like Arch but still continue to enjoy using these forums. When there's a thread asking about "what linux distro should i choose?" then yes naturally people are going to suggest arch especially if the OP is looking for a more DIY distro.

Stand back a minute and look at it objectively and you'll see how ridiculous it is.
    Still not convinced?
    Well how about if I posted in the Arch forums about how fantastic Ubuntu is and how it's great that you can get to spend twenty or thirty minutes every six months installing a new release and how it just works and has a massive support forum and it's got Synaptic and it's really brilliant and you oughta try it and it's really cool to have on your CV and did you know that a really cool space tourist dude and at least two nobel prize winners support it, and did you know it's got a really unique brown theme?
    Nobody is stopping you

no

My interest in Arch merely extends to having discussion of it banned from the Ubuntu forums.
    I doubt that will ever happen but I live in hope.
    Right, so we're not allowed to mention distros let alone operating systems other than Ubuntu?

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh wonderful, another Arch vs Ubuntu thread!

Someone is excited about Arch, then Ubuntu fans get angry.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by Arup View Post
    Said and done, arch good or not will never be Ubuntu, I will never even dare for once to peddle arch to a Windows refugee, that would be the end of that person's Linux journey for sure. Ubuntu is the de facto distro thats putting Linux single handedly on the map and its for the very reason, Linux is now gaining popularity. Many Windows users are now curiuous about Linux and when I show them Ubuntu desktop and the myriads of software available, they are totally impressed. Then I show them how easy it is to run Live CD and install Ubuntu, its double WOW. I think few distros around accomplish it like Ubuntu.
    Quite true. Making a direct transition from Windows to Arch is near impossible for most people. Once you have Ubuntu up and running for a while you can still sit down an afternoon to set up Arch (or anything else more DIY).

Maybe Kubuntu is even more of a Windows killer but Ubuntu 9.10 is supposedly going to have a more appealing default theme (which matters to many people unless they are introduced to Linux by someone who is already running it on their computer)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

how is it simplicity to have to build your own OS up from the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by bodyharvester View Post
    how is it simplicity to have to build your own OS up from the ground?
    Simple to get it exactly how you want it.
    im dyslexic, please don't comment on my spelling
    blender 3d artist, visit my portfolio
    Quad-Ren, Open source, resolution independent 2D graphics engine
    Screen space is a precious resource, don't waste it

Page 3 of 32 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast