Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How-to: Getting power management to work on Gateway LT31

Beans

Re: How-to: Getting power management to work on Gateway LT31

My system also kept freezing with the patched kernel. I am glad to know that it is not only me. I was actually blaming Skype until I rechecked this thread. Hopefully we can figure out how to make this stable. I was getting around 30-45 minutes more on battery life with CPU scaling. Had to go back to the original kernel for now.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello, I just got myself a Packard Bell dot 202 and apparently it's the same machine as the Gateway LT3103u. I've compiled a new kernel with the patch and the DSDT file. It should be identical to Prikolchik's version. You can find it here: http://linux.autostatic.com/ubuntu/
    I've also made a checkinstall package of cpupowerd, it's in the same directory.
    Any questions, don't hesitate to ask, and I'm keeping this netbook, don't plan on returning it.

Jeremy

Edit Sep 24 2009: compiled kernel 2.6.30.6 with powernow-k8 patch and DSDT file. Also stripped the kernel config specifically for the Gateway LT3103u/Packard Bell dot m/a.NL/202. Use at your own risk and please let me know if you experience any lockups or if you need extra modules/functionality.
    Last edited by AutoStatic; September 29th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.

Beans

AutoStatic: The kernel works fine for the power management and such on my Gateway LT3103u, but I couldn't help but notice my webcam no longer works. Did you not include the drivers for webcams in your kernel?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Good point! I'll check it this weekend and recompile. I don't use the webcam myself so I probably omitted the needed modules.
    I'd like to point out though that the lt3103u does not really like frequency scaling, I've compiled several kernels but the little fellow keeps locking up every now and then when frequency scaling is enabled.
    With cpupowerd I do manage to get as low as 0.6625 V. Saves a few tenths of Watts.

PS, I'm going to do it tomorrow, I'm in the middle of a renovation and all...

Edit: compiled two new kernels with webcam support (hopefully I picked the right drivers), 2.6.30.6 and 2.6.31, and moved the debs to a faster server.

Edit II: webcam works, tested it with cheese. Also no lock ups until now with the 2.6.31 kernel.
    Last edited by AutoStatic; September 29th, 2009 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AutoStatic View Post
    I'd like to point out though that the lt3103u does not really like frequency scaling, I've compiled several kernels but the little fellow keeps locking up every now and then when frequency scaling is enabled.
    Regarding the lockups, you might want to see my last two posts here:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/show...393200&page=24

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Hello Turmlos, I will check what clock generator is inside my Packard Bell. It will probably be the SLG84605. But then I'll have to install Windows first and run SetFSB then. Or maybe it will run with Windows PE (BartPE).
    But does frequency scaling work well with this clock generator under Windows? Or does it lock up too?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AutoStatic View Post
    But does frequency scaling work well with this clock generator under Windows? Or does it lock up too?
    Unfortunately, no. It locks up under Windows as well, regardless of the method used (DSDT override or RMClock).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've checked the clock generator and it is indeed the "wrong" one. I'm going to contact Packard Bell to find out if they could replace my notebook. I'd like to get the most out of it without lock ups.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I am not sure what the nature of patching we're doing on the kernel is here, but is there are any plans for these DSDT hacks to be merged into the mainline kernel? Doesn't the linux kernel carry around a big bag of ACPI hacks? When will our ACPI hacks be included?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I agree. I want to go to 9.10 as soon as it comes out but I still want the power management to work. Will it?

Thanks.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast