Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Sneaky install

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Sneaky install

Quote Originally Posted by Nburnes View Post
    Hopefully you just Wubied it or dual booted so he wouldn't lose all his Windows stuff......
    either way, it's not his to be messing with. second thought, on top of whooping him, i'd take away his pc/laptop/mobile device/internet for a month.

that'd teach him.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by pwnst*r View Post
    either way, it's not his to be messing with. second thought, on top of whooping him, i'd take away his pc/laptop/mobile device/internet for a month.

that'd teach him.
    Don't get me wrong with this, I think most of today's parents are to soft. But I think you're being a bit harsh. Personally I would've tested it out to make sure it worked (with live cd) and then give him the live cd, and let him try it. Surely your father couldn't be that stubborn (Oh wait yours could be just as mine is!)

pwnst*r is offline Gee! These Aren't Roasted!
    Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by gletob View Post
    Don't get me wrong with this, I think most of today's parents are to soft. But I think you're being a bit harsh. Personally I would've tested it out to make sure it worked (with live cd) and then give him the live cd, and let him try it. Surely your father couldn't be that stubborn (Oh wait yours could be just as mine is!)
    hm? from the OP's post it states he installed it without permission on his dad's pc, quite possibly over the windows partition. my comments are directed toward those actions, so i'm not sure where you're going with the live cd talk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by chriswyatt View Post
    Sneakily installed Ubuntu on my Dad's computer today . My Dad hates change so chances are he won't use it, but I'll at least try to convert him.
    I just thought about this some more.

You need some serious discipline!

My computer has over 21000 flac files on it. This has taken me years to do. I have coverted hundreds of lps to flac.

(yes I have them backed up but some dads might not)

My tunes have permissions that don`t let my kids mess with them, but if one of them decided to enter the bios and change it to boot from cd and install another OS I can`t do much about it. (Except from banning them from the computer)

If one of them lost my music I would be so angry.

Many years ago, I got sent home from school for a week for smoking cigarettes. My dad took away all my records (sort of like cds but you had to look after them).

I`m trying to think what I would do in this situation. ........ No computer, no nintendo ds, no wii, no playstation, no ipod, no tv etc etc etc

I really hope you haven`t wiped your dad`s pc.

Tell us it`s a dual boot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

OP, surely you didn't completely wipe your dad's pc did you? If you did, I'll echo some earlier comments and say that it's not freeing your dad, but forcing him to use Ubuntu, which isn't what Open Source is about.

Beans
    Hidden!

Chris Wyatt,

Fortunately it was your dad's computer. If it had been a company computer, you could go to jail for hacking. He probably will not press charges.

Very bad idea to install something on a computer without asking first.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; August 30th, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

lolzors, you're gunna get busted! Seriously, ask first before doing that sort of thing, otherwise you are asking for it!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

don't forget to set grub's timeout to 0 ^_^

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh, wow. I can't list on here what I'd do, for legal reasons of course. I will say, though, that it would involve tonnes of (metric) pain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by chriswyatt View Post
    Sneakily installed Ubuntu on my Dad's computer today . My Dad hates change so chances are he won't use it, but I'll at least try to convert him.
    LOL if he ask tell him it was a windows update you had no part in.. lol!!
    Linux User: 380654
    CIW Certified Internet Web Professional: 435668

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast