Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Moblin Remix?

Beans

Ubuntu Moblin Remix?

So, I was bored and poking around looking at the recent changes to the Ubuntu Wiki, and I noticed there had been an update to a page called the Karmic Koala Release Manifest. I was scrolling down looking for the Ubuntu Netbook Remix entry, and right below it was an entry for "Ubuntu Moblin Remix". It looks like it won't be officially announced and is going to be a developer only release and not freely available, but has anyone else heard anything about this project or am I just slow? I like to think that I pay pretty good attention to what's going on in the Ubuntu world, but this is the first I've heard of this.

Sorry if this has already been covered in another topic, but I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

EDIT: Never mind. I should have hit Google first. Looks like there were stories about it floating around since May/June timeframe. Turns out I'm slow after all.
    Last edited by Katalog; August 29th, 2009 at 08:34 AM. Reason: I'm an idiot.
    Registered Linux user #39144

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Moblin Remix?

Its not ready yet, Whether a Moblin version will appear this year remains to be seen. Its still in beta testing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I would love this, the moblin interface is so much better than the Ubuntu Netbook Remix IMO.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    Its not ready yet, Whether a Moblin version will appear this year remains to be seen. Its still in beta testing.
    Thus the "developer only" release. Yeah, I get that.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Where is the download to test???

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pjalegria View Post
    Where is the download to test???
    I don't think there's going to be one. If you look at the matrix (located here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KarmicKoala/ReleaseManifest ) you'll see that it will be cdimage only, and devs are the only ones that are going to be able to get their hands on it. No idea who you would contact about getting a copy, although it lists a guy named David Mandala (he's involved in Netbook Remix, Ubuntu Mobile and several other teams) in the Sign Off column.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

its not for developers only in it will be released alongside karmic. and if any1 wanna try the live image can get from
    http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mob...-live/current/
    its not gonna get released in alpha 6 rather its beta will be released on 1st october. if any1 tests it and find bugs report then at https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-moblin-remix

Beans

Nice find. At the time that I posted about it I was going off the information on the matrix, and under "Announcement" it said "None" and under "Maintenance commitment" it said "no support, developers release only", and it still says that. So it's not like I was purposely trying to mislead anyone or give out disinformation. I was quoting something that was actually on Ubuntu's own wiki (and still is). But in any case, that's good news for anyone that want's to try it out.
    Last edited by Katalog; September 16th, 2009 at 02:38 AM.

Beans

I'm downloading it. If it works, I'll install it to my netbook.

Beans

I burned a disc. The menu options do nothing when enter is pressed. A lot more work is needed to create a bootable disk.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast