Page 2 of 169 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Hi iboot,

It may be you need to look at installing the deb.s again. That may be the problem. Ayuthia's deb.s include hp-wmi, so then the applet will work. Reboot after you install them.

Beans

ok, so I installed the deb.s by using the "Reinstall". I did this for both of the 32-bit packages (2.6.28.15.49). The reinstall was successful, but after reboot, the update manager automatically started and downloaded and installed these same packages again. So it seems they got overwritten. I am still getting the hp_wmi not found on rollover of the applet in the panel.

Beans
    Distro

Hi iboot,

I guess I don't understand why you can't decline the kernel update to prevent it from overwriting the kernel deb.s with the n-trig patches. Check System>Administration>Software Sources the Updates tab and see what options you have selected, I guess in Automatic Updates.

If that doesn't work for the hp-wmi you can manually compile it by going to the Rotation HOW TO and in method 4 going to Auto-magic Rotation HOW TO. There's instructions there for checking if hp-wmi is installed and how to compile it.

Beans

Question Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Yes, I have disabled the automatic update. However the applet still can't see the hp-wmi.

Per the Auto-magic rotation HOW-TO, I get the following:

Code:
    $modprobe -l | grep hp-wmi
    kernel/drivers/misc/hp-wmi.ko
    Does this mean it is installed, or I will need to compile it?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Hi iboot,

It means it's installed but not necessarily active. Enter "lsmod" in a terminal and see if you see it there. You should also see wmi. Or if the output is too big try:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep hp-wmi
    If it's not there you need to do the part of the Auto-magic Rotation HOW TO where it says "Add "hp-wmi" (without the quotes) to the end of the "modules" file using":
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modules
    And then rebooting. I didn't think you needed this on Jaunty.

Beans

Hi Favux,

ok, that solved the problem of rotation! I also have touch working! So now I just need to avoid update manager's security updates to linux-header... and linux-image.. modules until they are patched? How would I know that they have been patched to include the hp-wmi?

When I rotate, it does not resize the app window to the full potrait size. Also, the calibration is off so I cannot use stylus or touch. I saw some posts that talk about calibrating. Which one is the best for the 16:9 aspect ratio of the tx2z. Do I also need to put the callibration script in the startup? How do I get it executed only on the rotate event?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi iboot,

Good job!

So now I just need to avoid update manager's security updates to linux-header... and linux-image.. modules until they are patched?
    Right. Not just security updates but any kernel stuff. Obviously that'll leave a security vulnerablity until Ayuthia posts the new deb.s. Or you can learn to do his kernel patching HOW TO. If you look at that you'll see his package includes hp-wmi so it can be patched.

Windows don't resize when rotated. So it becomes automatic to only open programs in the orientation you want them. If you notice I talk about shutting cairo dock down before rotation and restarting it when rotated in the script so it's the correct size.

The calibrations are in the xorg.conf. There shouldn't be a problem with them on rotating. What's happening exactly? Do you have Compiz active? That could be messing things up for you.

Beans

Hi Favux,

It seems that the applet somehow messed up some graphic settings and the machine froze after rotation. I tried rebooting using the "fix graphics problems" in the recovery menu but the standard xorg.conf would refuse to boot. I then dropped to the shell prompt and copied over the modified xorg.conf (with all the touch and stylus settings) and booted back. I am little hesitant to try rotation again before I figure out what happened.

When I go to rotation, the mouse pointer responds to touch and stylus, but does not click. So I can move it over an object but I cannot seem to click it. Also the allignment is off, so I cannot reach the panel because it is at the very top. The pointer stops just short of reaching the panel.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Hi iboot,

I doubt it's the applet.

A couple of things. If you're still using the proprietary ATI driver "fglrx" did you do the aticonfig line in Appendix 1 on the Rotation HOW TO? You need that for rotation with "fglrx".

Also are you using Compiz? That results in strange behavior when you rotate the tablet using "fglrx". Pretty much like you're describing.

Beans

Hi Favux,

I did the ati command on the prompt. Do I need to execute it everytime after reboot or just once?

Code:
    sudo aticonfig --set-pcs-str="DDX,EnableRandr12,TRUE"
    I downloaded your compiz_off_rotation.sh which seems to have the commands to calibrate the pointer on rotation and turn off compiz. How do I set it up to run on rotation? Or do I set it up to run on startup?

Thanks.

Page 2 of 169 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast