Page 98 of 169 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by viiiv View Post
    Hello, I have the same computer (dell 1747 multitouch screen). I ran the same commands but they do not seem to be working for me, when I reboot I receive a ntrig error. Should I do something before? THANKS!
    I have seen that error once or twice (on a studio 17), but haven't been able to make it occur reliably enough to have a chance to debug.

On my xt, when the screen fails to send events, I've found that windows doesn't recover it either, and that I've needed to reboot or power cycle, as suggested by ntrig on their website.

Its pretty hard to write a fix for these problems when I can't see a stream that fixes them. I wonder if the usb control supports power cycling that one device. Seems like an extreme solution but it would beat power cycling the laptop.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Kaos View Post
    Hi, just upgraded to Lucid Lynx, thinking the touch support (TX2 1160eu) would be working, checked out the first page of this thread and ran the 'script'? in post 2 (takes you to post #891). When I rebooted finger and pen touch on the screen worked as a left click only, so no scrolling, no right click. I read through the last 30 or so pages and the first couple, but now am more confused than ever as to how to get touch working. Some info, not sure how useful it is...

Output of ls -l /dev/input/by-path
    total 0
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2010-05-02 10:10 pci-0000:00:13.2-usb-0:2:1.0-event -> ../event10
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-02 10:10 pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-event -> ../event8
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-02 10:10 pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-event-mouse -> ../event7
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-02 10:10 pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-mouse -> ../mouse1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-02 10:10 platform-i8042-serio-0-event-kbd -> ../event5
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2010-05-02 10:10 platform-i8042-serio-1-event-mouse -> ../event11
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 2010-05-02 10:10 platform-i8042-serio-1-mouse -> ../mouse4

The Win7 firmware I'm using is 2.184 as the newest version 2.239 still isn't out for 32 bit and I installed 32 bit Lucid Lynx (did a clean install rather than upgrade from Koala). Running 2.6.32-21-generic kernel, Gnome 2.30.0.

Any help gratefully recieved. Cheers.

Franc Kaos.
    Configuration wise, with lucid release you should only need to adjust auto configuration file for the wacom as described in http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showpo...&postcount=945
    (that change has been sent in to the wacom mailing list and hopefully should be integrated in the near future).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    I guess giving you that information earlier would have helped.

To reattach it back:
    Code:
    xinput reattach "N-Trig Touchscreen" "Virtual core pointer"
    That should do it. I have been using the id numbers from xinput --list but using their names should work fine.
    Gimp (and possibly others) doesn't care if an input is floating, it will still draw. There are plenty of easy work arounds, but if its actually a problem we should work out a clean solution.

Also keep in mind that there are only a few ntrig firmwares that actually send touch events while the pen is in range. If you update to the multitouch firmwares, they don't.

Beans
    Distro

You might try using the hid-ntrig.c version from post 952 and see if it makes a difference.

rafiyr, do you know which version Lucid is using for the stock kernel? It is looking like the BTN_TOUCH or BTN_DOUBLETAP is not in the single touch portion for the kernel module. If I recall correctly, the Vista firmware and possibly the 2.59 firmware is defaulting to the single touch mode. Those two versions seem to be having a problem with the touch not producing the left click.
    Sorry, I'm not sure which version made it to the lucid release. I will check on that.

Btw, I did find some flaws in my design of the post 952 hid-ntrig.c, nothing terrible but it does mean the rejection model isn't really all that different than the earlier versions. If you are using that, activation_(width,height) basically become an accept/reject threshold. But since I set the defaults considerably smaller (and scaled to the physical resolution), you should see improved responsiveness.

I do have a solution, but am still working out a more complete analysis and testing, should be posted by mid week.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Sorry for all the confusion. There were a lot of changes done for our touchscreens before the final release.

Acutally, the touchscreen should now work right out of the box (At least for Windows 7 users excluding the 2.59 version). The stylus does not work the way we want it quite yet.
    I am only requesting the xorg.conf file for now until I can confirm that xorg.conf.d does not make evdev stop working when it is not configured through xorg.conf.d.
    Thanks Ayuthia for the fast response. My xorg.conf file is:

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

Section "Module"
    Load "glx"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Default Device"
    Driver "fglrx"
    EndSection
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafiyr
    Configuration wise, with lucid release you should only need to adjust auto configuration file for the wacom as described in http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showpo...&postcount=945
    I followed that post, rebooted, but no discernible difference, but cheers for the help.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Franc Kaos View Post
    I followed that post, rebooted, but no discernible difference, but cheers for the help.
    Would you please install input-utils and send the output of lsinput and lsusb.

Beans
    Distro

A cleaned up replacement for the previous (2010_04_27) version:

http://ofb.net/~rafi/2010_05_04_hid-ntrig.c

Again I would like some feedback. I'm pretty confident in this version, though I would still consider the filtering parameters experimental. If you try it and get some ghost contacts, please let me know.

You can adjust the parameters in /sys/bus/hid/*1B96*/ or when you load the module.
    For example to restore mimic the old filter behavior with:
    Code:
    modprobe hid_ntrig min_width=68 min_height=43

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by rafiyr View Post
    Would you please install input-utils and send the output of lsinput and lsusb.
    Sorry about the delay, work stuff, here is the result of lsinput:
    Code:
    /dev/input/event0
       bustype : BUS_HOST
       vendor  : 0x0
       product : 0x1
       version : 0
       name    : "Power Button"
       phys    : "PNP0C0C/button/input0"
       bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY

/dev/input/event1
       product : 0x3
       name    : "Sleep Button"
       phys    : "PNP0C0E/button/input0"

/dev/input/event2
       product : 0x5
       name    : "Lid Switch"
       phys    : "PNP0C0D/button/input0"
       bits ev : EV_SYN EV_SW

/dev/input/event3
       name    : "Power Button"
       phys    : "LNXPWRBN/button/input0"

/dev/input/event4
       bustype : BUS_ADB
       vendor  : 0x1
       version : 256
       name    : "Macintosh mouse button emulation"
       bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_REL

/dev/input/event5
       bustype : BUS_I8042
       vendor  : 0x1
       version : 43841
       name    : "AT Translated Set 2 keyboard"
       phys    : "isa0060/serio0/input0"
       bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_MSC EV_LED EV_REP

/dev/input/event6
       product : 0x6
       name    : "Video Bus"
       phys    : "LNXVIDEO/video/input0"

/dev/input/event7
       bustype : BUS_USB
       vendor  : 0x1b96
       version : 272
       name    : "N-Trig Pen"
       phys    : "usb-0000:00:14.5-2/input1"
       uniq    : ""
       bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS EV_MSC

/dev/input/event8
       name    : "N-Trig MultiTouch"

/dev/input/event9
       name    : "N-Trig Touchscreen"

/dev/input/event10
       vendor  : 0x64e
       product : 0xa104
       version : 800
       name    : "HP Webcam"
       phys    : "usb-0000:00:13.2-2/button"

/dev/input/event11
       bustype : BUS_PCI
       vendor  : 0x10ec
       product : 0x268
       version : 1
       name    : "HDA Digital PCBeep"
       phys    : "card0/codec#0/beep0"
       bits ev : EV_SYN EV_SND

/dev/input/event12
       bustype : BUS_I8042
       vendor  : 0x2
       product : 0x7
       version : 433
       name    : "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
       phys    : "isa0060/serio1/input0"
       bits ev : EV_SYN EV_KEY EV_ABS
    and here is lsusb:
    Code:
    Bus 007 Device 003: ID 1b96:0001 N-Trig Duosense Transparent Electromagnetic Digitizer
    Bus 007 Device 002: ID 08ff:1600 AuthenTec, Inc. AES1600
    Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 006 Device 002: ID 03f0:171d Hewlett-Packard Wireless (Bluetooth + WLAN) Interface [Integrated Module]
    Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 064e:a104 Suyin Corp. 
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:0158 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Mass Storage Device
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    A problem I might be having is that the ntrig firmware I began with was 2.59, but I then upgraded to 2.184 (ie I uninstalled 2.59, then installed the later one). I emailed HP tech support as to release dates of the latest 32 bit firmware, but received no answer as of yet. It's frustrating, so close (the screen responds to touch - as in left click, and in the right place), just no scroll, zoom or right click. Anyway, much thanks for the help.

Beans

Installing UBUNTU 9.04 on HP TX1000 laptop (touchscreen+fingerprint)
    1. Install Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty
    2. Connect to Internet and open SYSTEM>ADMINISTRATION>HARDWARE DRIVERS
    3. Install NVIDIA current version
    4. Install Broadcomm B43 driver
    5. Install software modem driver
    6. Download eGalaxDriver from website http://home.eeti.com.tw/web20/eGalaxTouchDriver/linuxDriver.htm
    (download for kernel 2.6.xx)
    7. Extract tarball and run setup.sh from terminal with sudo
    8. Restart Computer and run (with Alt+F2) “eGalaxTouch” (without quotes and linux is case sensitive)
    9. Configure your touchscreen
    10. Open xorg.conf with following command
    sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    11. Under Section “Device” add the following line
    Option “RandRRotation” “True”

12. Create two launchers on your gnome panel with following commands:-

xrandr –o 1 (for tablet mode) P.S. u can set it “3” as well if u want opposite rotation)
    xrandr –o 0 (for Laptop mode)

13. Install Cellwriter from synaptic
    14. Install xournal from synaptic
    15. Install the following for finger print recognition
    lib-fprint
    libpam-fprint
    fprint-demo
    16. Open file common-auth
    sudo gedit /etc/pam.d/common-auth
    (delete all lines in the file and paste these lines)

Auth sufficient pam_fprint.so
    Auth sufficient pam_fprint.so
    Auth required pam_unix.so nullok_secure

(the first line can be copied 3-4 times if u want to allow more than 1 chance to register fingerprint)
    17. Create keyboard shortcuts for screen rotation (here is an example)
    Key Command
    Ctrl+Alt+UP xrandr –o 0
    Ctrl+Alt+LEFT xrandr –o 1
    Etc
    Etc
    (Notes: This Guide will work for any UBUNTU installation upto Karmic (9.10). Unfortunately in Lucid, the developers have tried to provide native support for Touchsdcreen and Nvidia but it has turned out to be sloppy. And there is no xorg file as well. So viable options are to uninstall nv and nouveau drivers and install Nvidia and the run sudo nvidia-xconfig from command line. After that follow steps 4 to 17)

Beans

Ok I did a fresh install of 10.04 yesterday an it is the same story. I have the latest firmware installled from win7 64 bit, and I have ubuntu 10.04 64 bit installed. I have now read this post 3 times over and this still seems to be a bit too complicated for me and I was wondeing if there was a kind soul that could meet me in the #ubuntu channel and guide me through this maze so I can get the touch and multiple touch working. Thank you in advance to any and all willing to help me undertake this adventure. I'm also thnking shout makin a video documentary of my centre into Linux full time on my laptop and the comunities help. Might end up postig it to YouTube I the hopes of bringing more people on the border into the fold. Anywho my name on irc is tophu you can hit me up if you see me I there or send me a message on the forums with a date and time and I will hop on. ^_^ again thank you all for your hard work on getting this workig it has been awesome watching this come together over the past year or so.

Page 98 of 169 FirstFirst ... 488896979899100108148 ... LastLast