Page 84 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Yeah, its kind of like mttouch. They are both redundant. So whats your job? Im in my second year in college for a degree in computer science, and I really would love to do this kind of thing for a living. Writing drivers, programs, stuff like that. I do NOT want to work for Microsoft or Apple though.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Question Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by rafiyr View Post
    Yup.

Man including the double quotes in the name string is getting on my nerves. I'll have to talk to someone about that.
    I am pretty sure that you can use the id number instead of typing the name. At least you can use it with the other xinput commands. Of course, that is a workaround instead of fixing the problem. I am not a fan of the quotes either but I get lazy and just use the id numbers instead.

Beans
    Distro

What about you Ayuthia? What do you do?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    Yeah, its kind of like mttouch. They are both redundant. So whats your job? Im in my second year in college for a degree in computer science, and I really would love to do this kind of thing for a living. Writing drivers, programs, stuff like that. I do NOT want to work for Microsoft or Apple though.
    Oh, I'm just a computer science student myself. My research is mostly unrelated. The work I've done on this driver has generally been for my own edification, cause I just like playing with toys.

Beans

Hey guys, I just got my new Dell 1747 Multi Touch yesterday. I have been attempting to get the touch screen to work, actually had it working when using the "confidence" patch on the first page but the first time you touch the screen it works but the mouse pad would not work and you could not let go of an application unless you hit escape. When doing that then mouse tracking would work but no touch pad and the touch screen would not "click" on anything just track the mouse. I then went on to use Rafi's patch, built that and installed it along with the wacom driver and no dice.

Any input? I am a developer that uses Ubuntu for my personal pc's but most of my development is in/for Windows so I'm not real familiar with the Ubuntu kernel and customizing drivers etc. Thanks for any input.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fxRichard View Post
    Hey guys, I just got my new Dell 1747 Multi Touch yesterday. I have been attempting to get the touch screen to work, actually had it working when using the "confidence" patch on the first page but the first time you touch the screen it works but the mouse pad would not work and you could not let go of an application unless you hit escape. When doing that then mouse tracking would work but no touch pad and the touch screen would not "click" on anything just track the mouse. I then went on to use Rafi's patch, built that and installed it along with the wacom driver and no dice.

Any input? I am a developer that uses Ubuntu for my personal pc's but most of my development is in/for Windows so I'm not real familiar with the Ubuntu kernel and customizing drivers etc. Thanks for any input.
    Since you just received your Dell yesterday, I am going to guess that you have Windows 7 installed. If you are in Windows, can you find out which firmware version you are using? It should be found in the Control Panel under N-trig Pen and Touch (or something that starts with N-trig).

Also on the Linux side, can you provide a listing of lshal, and a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log? It will help us figure out what is happening with your touchpad and touchscreen.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mcoleman44 View Post
    What about you Ayuthia? What do you do?
    Lately, I have been changing diapers, cleaning the house, and taking care of my kids. Isn't it amazing how domestic duties can help you learn how to use Linux?

I used to be a programmer but chose to stay at home with the kids after working for almost 10 years. It was mainly because of the commute that I had (90 miles one-way). I have a computer science degree and I still enjoy programming and trying to figure out how my computer ticks. My wife wants to switch places now so I will most likely go back into the work world once the job market picks up again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ayuthia View Post
    Since you just received your Dell yesterday, I am going to guess that you have Windows 7 installed. If you are in Windows, can you find out which firmware version you are using? It should be found in the Control Panel under N-trig Pen and Touch (or something that starts with N-trig).

Also on the Linux side, can you provide a listing of lshal, and a copy of /var/log/Xorg.0.log? It will help us figure out what is happening with your touchpad and touchscreen.
    Ahh..I already blew Win 7 away....I have the dvd's though and can reinstall in a vbox on my desktop to find that info...assuming it installs them in a vbox on a machine without the touch screen. Will post this info shortly...

Beans
    Distro

Ahh..I already blew Win 7 away....I have the dvd's though and can reinstall in a vbox on my desktop to find that info...assuming it installs them in a vbox on a machine without the touch screen. Will post this info shortly...
    It is not a big deal if you don't have Win 7 installed. We can do without that part. We really just need to have the Linux information. It helps to have the Win 7 information but we can figure it out somewhat when we are in Linux.

Beans
    Distro

Which flavor/version of ubuntu (or other) do you have installed at the moment?

You're the first linux user (well first person at all) I've heard from who has one of those. So, I'd really like to see is the report descriptions.
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /debug
    sudo mount -t debugfs none /debug
    sudo tar cf /tmp/rdesc.tar /debug/hid
    The latest version of hid-ntrig.c is available from the Torvalds linux-2.6 repository:
    http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...trig.c;hb=HEAD
    That will work fine with 2.6.32 or newer (and may work with 2.6.30, but no older).

wacom needs a patch:
    http://www.ofb.net/~rafi/xf86-input-...10_02_03.patch

evdev should be fine.

I'm still using wacom for pen (though its not difficult to make evdev work for that). evdev and wacom seem to work about equally well for touch (as long as you're not worried about rotation, which evdev doesn't do quite right).

Page 84 of 169 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast