Page 62 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Hi Ayuthia,

Wow, you did it!!! Happy day!

So the path_id comes with the Wacom packages? I had no idea! I thought it was a standard system file.

We've got the Symlinks!

So does linuxwacom handle two separate touches? The test2 xorg.conf I have ready has one touch Section where you change the line between "/dev/input/n-trig-touch" and "/dev/input/n-trig-mttouch". And then one touch line in "ServerLayout".

Aren't those input lists pretty?

I'm assuming adding DRIVERS=="wacom" back in doesn't work or you don't think it's necessary since check_driver associates it with wacom anyway.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Ayuthia,

Wow, you did it!!! Happy day!

So the path_id comes with the Wacom packages? I had no idea! I thought it was a standard system file.

We've got the Symlinks!

So does linuxwacom handle two separate touches? The test2 xorg.conf I have ready has one touch Section where you change the line between "/dev/input/n-trig-touch" and "/dev/input/n-trig-mttouch". And then one touch line in "ServerLayout".

Aren't those input lists pretty?

I'm assuming adding DRIVERS=="wacom" back in doesn't work or you don't think it's necessary since check_driver associates it with wacom anyway.
    I forgot to talk about that. From what I can tell, the DRIVER portion goes with the kernel module (ours shows up with ntrig instead of wacom). My assumption is that if it finds the "N-Trig Pen" names, the kernel module is there. With that said, the check_driver script should probably check for ntrig instead of wacom:
    Code:
    # udev rules for n-trig tablets.
    #
    # These rules were compiled for the Ubuntu/Debian GNU/Linux distribution, but others may,
    # and indeed are encouraged to, use them also.
    #
    # Should you do so, PLEASE CO-ORDINATE ANY CHANGES OR ADDITIONS of new devices with ????
    # so that we can try to present users with a standard set of device nodes which they can
    # rely on across the board.

KERNEL!="event[0-9]*", GOTO="n-trig_end"

# The ID_PATH variable is set by the "path_id" script in an earlier rule file.
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Touchscreen", ENV{ID_PATH}=="?*", SYMLINK="input/by-path/$env{ID_PATH}-n-trig-touch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig MultiTouch", ENV{ID_PATH}=="?*", SYMLINK="input/by-path/$env{ID_PATH}-n-trig-mttouch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Pen", ENV{ID_PATH}=="?*", SYMLINK="input/by-path/$env{ID_PATH}-n-trig"

# To mirror linuxwacom, we keep the input/n-trig link as the generic stylus device.
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Touchscreen", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-touch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig MultiTouch", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-mttouch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Pen", SUBSYSTEM=="input", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig"

# Check and repossess the device if a module other than the n-trig/linuxwacom one is
    # already bound to it.
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b96", ACTION=="add", RUN+="check_driver ntrig $devpath $env{ID_BUS}"

LABEL="n-trig_end"

Beans
    Distro

Ahhh! Then there are our N-trig udev rules. Now just a little testing by some brave testers.

And we will find out what linuxwacom can and can't handle.

Edit: Oh, could you maybe post the check_program and path_id on your site? Then we can link to them. And maybe instructions?
    Last edited by Favux; February 20th, 2010 at 12:50 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I just tried this out using the .fdi route where I am using all three and the wacom driver accepted it. Here is a portion of xinput --list:
    Code:
    "N-Trig Touchscreen"    id=10   [XExtensionKeyboard]                                                                      
            Type is Wacom Touch                                                                                               
            Num_keys is 248                                                                                                   
            Min_keycode is 8                                                                                                  
            Max_keycode is 255                                                                                                
            Num_buttons is 5                                                                                                  
            Num_axes is 6                                                                                                     
            Mode is Absolute                                                                                                  
            Motion_buffer is 256                                                                                              
            Axis 0 :                                                                                                          
                    Min_value is 0                                                                                            
                    Max_value is 9600                                                                                         
                    Resolution is 0                                                                                           
            Axis 1 :                                                                                                          
                    Min_value is 0                                                                                            
                    Max_value is 7200                                                                                         
                    Resolution is 0                                                                                           
            Axis 2 :                                                                                                          
                    Min_value is 0                                                                                            
                    Max_value is 0                                                                                            
                    Resolution is 1                                                                                           
            Axis 3 :                                                                                                          
                    Min_value is -64                                                                                          
                    Max_value is 63                                                                                           
                    Resolution is 1                                                                                           
            Axis 4 :                                                                                                          
                    Min_value is -64                                                                                          
                    Max_value is 63                                                                                           
                    Resolution is 1                                                                                           
            Axis 5 :                                                                                                          
                    Min_value is 0                                                                                            
                    Max_value is 1023                                                                                         
                    Resolution is 1                                                                                           
    "N-Trig MultiTouch"     id=11   [XExtensionKeyboard]                                                                      
            Type is Wacom Touch                                                                                               
            Num_keys is 248                                                                                                   
            Min_keycode is 8                                                                                                  
            Max_keycode is 255                                                                                                
            Num_buttons is 5                                                                                                  
            Num_axes is 6                                                                                                     
            Mode is Absolute                                                                                                  
            Motion_buffer is 256                                                                                              
            Axis 0 :                                                                                                          
                    Min_value is 0                                                                                            
                    Max_value is 9600                                                                                         
                    Resolution is 0
            Axis 1 :
                    Min_value is 0
                    Max_value is 7200
                    Resolution is 0
            Axis 2 :
                    Min_value is 0
                    Max_value is 0
                    Resolution is 1
            Axis 3 :
                    Min_value is -64
                    Max_value is 63
                    Resolution is 1
            Axis 4 :
                    Min_value is -64
                    Max_value is 63
                    Resolution is 1
            Axis 5 :
                    Min_value is 0
                    Max_value is 1023
                    Resolution is 1
    "N-Trig Pen"    id=12   [XExtensionKeyboard]
            Type is Wacom Stylus
            Num_keys is 248
            Min_keycode is 8
            Max_keycode is 255
            Num_buttons is 5
            Num_axes is 6
            Mode is Absolute
            Motion_buffer is 256
            Axis 0 :
                    Min_value is 0
                    Max_value is 9600
                    Resolution is 800
            Axis 1 :
                    Min_value is 0
                    Max_value is 7200
                    Resolution is 1280
            Axis 2 :
                    Min_value is 0
                    Max_value is 256
                    Resolution is 1
            Axis 3 :
                    Min_value is -64
                    Max_value is 63
                    Resolution is 1
            Axis 4 :
                    Min_value is -64
                    Max_value is 63
                    Resolution is 1
            Axis 5 :
                    Min_value is 0
                    Max_value is 1023
                    Resolution is 1
    However, if the N-Trig Touchscreen and N-Trig MultiTouch both reported data, you would need to configure both separately. For example, if you wanted to stop the touch portion from working, you would need to do the following:
    Code:
    xsetwacom set "N-Trig Touchscreen" touch off
    xsetwacom set "N-Trig MultiTouch" touch off
    or else one of the two will continue report to xorg and make it look like touch is still active.

Beans
    Distro

Cool!

Then I'm betting this xorg.conf will work too.

Edit: And that's linuxwacom 0.8.5-8 or better?
    Last edited by Favux; February 20th, 2010 at 01:14 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Cool!

Then I'm betting this xorg.conf will work too.

Edit: And that's linuxwacom 0.8.5-8 or better?
    I just tested the xorg.conf configuration and it works:
    Code:
    jayhawk@WOPR:~$ xinput --list
    ‚° Virtual core pointer                         id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
    ‚   ‚≥ Virtual core XTEST pointer               id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ stylus                                   id=6    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ mttouch                                  id=7    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ touch                                    id=8    [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ Macintosh mouse button emulation         id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad               id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ N-Trig MultiTouch                        id=13   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ N-Trig Pen                               id=14   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚   ‚≥ N-Trig Touchscreen                       id=15   [slave  pointer  (2)]
    ‚£ Virtual core keyboard                        id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
        ‚≥ Virtual core XTEST keyboard              id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ‚≥ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard             id=9    [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ‚≥ HP WMI hotkeys                           id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ‚≥ HP Webcam                                id=16   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ‚≥ Sleep Button                             id=17   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ‚≥ Power Button                             id=18   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ‚≥ Video Bus                                id=19   [slave  keyboard (3)]
        ‚≥ Power Button                             id=20   [slave  keyboard (3)]
    I did not block out my .fdi so there are additional entries showing. So if we do use the xorg.conf, we need to make sure that it is not also being configured in the .fdi or else xsetwacom will produce some odd results with rotation and turning touch on/off.

Also, you are right that we need linuxwacom-0.8.5-8 or newer. The older versions will have some problems with the touch portion because the older version expects the touch to be reported differently.

EDIT: Don't mind the odd characters in my xinput information. That has something to do with my current xorg version in Gentoo.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Question Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

I'd like to get a fresh install of Lucid AMD64 daily installed just to test this out on my Latitude XT.

What's the most step-by-step set of instructions so I don't have to wade through 64 pages of this thread? Would it be post#1 on this thread, or is there a better guide? I don't really have any idea currently about whether I should be using .fdi's, xorg, udev rules or any of that stuff.
    Facebook, Apple, Google, corrupt governments, the ISP's and Telco's
    can be beaten at their own game by free and open source software.
    Here's how. (Extra credit)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ubuntiac View Post
    I'd like to get a fresh install of Lucid AMD64 daily installed just to test this out on my Latitude XT.

What's the most step-by-step set of instructions so I don't have to wade through 64 pages of this thread? Would it be post#1 on this thread, or is there a better guide? I don't really have any idea currently about whether I should be using .fdi's, xorg, udev rules or any of that stuff.
    I think that post 1 of this thread is the best at this point. I think that xorg.conf will still work in Lucid otherwise you will need to configure things using udev. Hal does not come by default in Lucid so the .fdi option is not available.

I have not had a chance to use the Wacom driver in Lucid yet. I am currently updating Lucid right now and plan to check it out to see what is needed. It does look like Favux has some information for it in the first post though.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Ayuthia,

I just tested the xorg.conf configuration and it works:
    Great!
    Also, you are right that we need linuxwacom-0.8.5-8 or newer. The older versions will have some problems with the touch portion because the older version expects the touch to be reported differently.
    That's what I thought.

OK, I'll add the new N-trig udev rules and multi-touch xorg.conf to the HOW TO!
    I think that xorg.conf will still work in Lucid
    I think it will too. I think it goes through the new configuration stuff first and then to xorg.conf, so it should/may work.

Beans
    Distro

I am currently in Lucid and using Rafi Rubin's 02/16/2010 kernel module with a patched version of the linuxwacom kernel (I patched the version that is currently used in Lucid). The xorg.conf worked without any issues but I also did make an update to the udev rules for Lucid:
    Code:
    # udev rules for n-trig tablets.
    #
    # These rules were compiled for the Ubuntu/Debian GNU/Linux distribution, but others may,
    # and indeed are encouraged to, use them also.
    #
    # Should you do so, PLEASE CO-ORDINATE ANY CHANGES OR ADDITIONS of new devices with ????
    # so that we can try to present users with a standard set of device nodes which they can
    # rely on across the board.

KERNEL!="event[0-9]*", GOTO="n-trig_end"

# To mirror linuxwacom, we keep the input/n-trig link as the generic stylus device.
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Touchscreen", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ENV{x11_driver}="wacom", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-touch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig MultiTouch", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ENV{x11_driver}="wacom", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig-mttouch"
    ATTRS{name}=="N-Trig Pen", SUBSYSTEM=="input", ENV{x11_driver}="wacom", SYMLINK+="input/n-trig"

# Check and repossess the device if a module other than the n-trig/linuxwacom one is
    # already bound to it.
    ATTRS{idVendor}=="1b96", ACTION=="add", RUN+="check_driver ntrig $devpath $env{ID_BUS}"

LABEL="n-trig_end"
    I added the x11_driver to the rules so that it will use the wacom driver instead of evdev.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; February 21st, 2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: Was missing the # on the first line of the udev rules.

Page 62 of 169 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112162 ... LastLast