Page 5 of 169 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Attached is a screenshot of the window after copy and pasting over from your attached save file. immediately after it said that to me I tested the screen by touching with my finger no go at all. I try with my stylus and it works but its way out of sync with Location on screen and speed of drag. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi Chris,

The paths in linux are case specific so you want "X11" not "x11" in order to get the xorg.conf.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Hi Chris,

The paths in linux are case specific so you want "X11" not "x11" in order to get the xorg.conf.
    Well that is a direct copy and paste from what you uploaded for us to use... so does that mean that the x and X are conditional to each installation/setup or was it just a typo in your document? I'll scan through and changeover the issue in the doc I downloaded.

Thanks for the fast response.

Chris.

Beans
    Distro

Hi Chris,

I was reacting to the error in the screenshot of gedit saying "Could not find the file /etc/x11/xorg.conf." etc.

I guess I don't understand your question.

Did you reboot? Did you make sure to use your video sections? Just copying and pasting won't work unless the video sections are identical.

Did you succesfully complete steps 1 & 2?

Beans

Yes I've done steps 1 and 2 including the external link to the other website's guide too. I don't understand using a video thing as a place holder... so I just did the commands and thought I could copy and paste them over to the file that the last command opens "sudo gedit /etc/' blah blah but you say I can't... My stylus does work but its a horrible 'working' stage. So how do I do the video thing you're talking about? =S

Beans
    Distro

Hi Chris,

Hopefully you backed up your xorg.conf as described. The video sections look like:
    Code:
    Section "Device"
    	Identifier	"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    	Identifier	"Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    	Identifier	"Default Screen"
    	Monitor		"Configured Monitor"
    	Device		"Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    This is the "default" Jaunty xorg.conf. Yours might differ, for example if you are using the ATI proprietary driver in the "Device" section you'd have a line with "fglrx". From your backup you can modify them to look like your backup sections if need be. It must be close otherwise it wouldn't have booted (X would be broken). And then you'd have to restore your backup xorg.conf from the command line.

All that said I wouldn't think that would be interfering with stylus and touch. So I'm not sure what's going on. Maybe the kernel deb didn't install cleanly? If your usb by-paths are wrong, because you've got Win 7 firmware, it shouldn't boot.

Which I guess sort of leaves a problem with your commenting out the n-trig section in the wacom.fdi?

Beans

Now I'm even more confused =(.... I'll keep trying things I guess... the video part is confusing me more now that I see that, do I just type it in? (and No I've not figured out how to get the ATI gfx drivers yet..)

Thanks for the continued support.

Chris

Beans
    Distro

Hi Chris,

Could you attach your xorg.conf backup and the current one (Manage Attachments in Additional Options)? And I'll show you what it should look like. Of course you may already have it right.

The ATI proprietary driver should be at System > Administration > Hardware Drivers.

Beans

could you tell me how to bring them up to view, is it the gedit or something else? =S

I'm so novice with linux, I can't wait to be familiar with it, I already like it 50x more then windows and i don't know how to do anything yet lol.

Beans

Bak:
    Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
    # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
    # here are ignored.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Device"
        Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        Device        "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection
    Current:
    Code:
    # xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
    # in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
    # here are ignored.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    #   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier    "Default Screen"
        Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
        Device        "Configured Video Device"
        DefaultDepth    24
    EndSection

Section "Module"