Page 161 of 169 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 1689

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Thanks.

I did see something on booting from SSD a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can remember where. Does the BIOS have that setting?
    12.04 has some half-screen weirdness going on. 12.10 works better than fine.
    Alright, so Quanta finally addresses it. That's the 3.4 kernel. Wonder what X Server it has and which driver is finally supported the video chipset.

I think we need to look at your Xorg.0.log and see if that gives us a clue as to why touch isn't working. Have you tried single finger touch yet? I'd think evdev should support multitouch unless a bug has crept into it or the hid-ntrig.ko. So I'm hoping we just need to make a custom .conf file for /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d and place multitouch on evdev. Maybe the hid-ntrip.ko isn't announcing it has a touchscreen so the MatchIsTouchscreen isn't working to place "N-Trig MultiTouch" onto evdev.

And of course it is the same PID:
    Code:
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 1b96:0001 N-Trig Duosense Transparent Electromagnetic Digitizer
    So now the libwacom data file is messed up. Right after it gets comitted of course. Does the pen still have two buttons and no eraser? What are the screen dimensions (length and width) and diagnol in inches?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Favux View Post
    Thanks.

I did see something on booting from SSD a few weeks ago. I'll see if I can remember where. Does the BIOS have that setting?
    You're welcome.
    It has a built in mini SSD. As oppose to other pc's I've had, this one is quiet a hassle to open and to replace the mini SSD.

The nice thing though is that it also has a slot for an SD/SDHC/SDXC card on the side which, to my liking, I can boot from. There's no setting for booting off of the SD card slot specifically in the BIOS, no. There is, however, a setting to boot off of USB before the built in SSD. So I guess it just sees the card as a USB device. Or rather, the reader, but anyways...

Alright, so Quanta finally addresses it. That's the 3.4 kernel.
    Yeah, I guess it's more the latter than Quanta actually doing much about it. I was hoping for a 3.4 kernel for the Precise release, since it has a lot of new Intel graphics coding in it. The 3.5 kernel will have even more, according to phoronix.

Wonder what X Server it has and which driver is finally supported the video chipset.
    I threw in the xorg.log in here this time so you can find out for yourself.

I think we need to look at your Xorg.0.log and see if that gives us a clue as to why touch isn't working. Have you tried single finger touch yet?
    Here's the funny part: on the "Welcome"-screen I can use my finger to tap on language and "Try out Kubuntu" (yes, I'm an old KDE-man, started out with SuSE back in 98, always prefered KDE since then and still do). However, after it has started up the KDE mobile display and everything is set I can just tap on the screen once, which selects whatever I point at that first time, but the mouse cursor doesn't move. After that one click there is no response to my finger touch on the screen any more.
    Pen works fine though.

I'd think evdev should support multitouch unless a bug has crept into it or the hid-ntrig.ko.
    I could run a modinfo on hid-ntrig for you, though I doubt it would say much new?

Does the pen still have two buttons and no eraser? What are the screen dimensions (length and width) and diagnol in inches?
    The pen has the pen-tip and a right-click button on the side.

The screen is 1024x600. It says on Wikipedia it's 8.9". It's small, that's all I can tell.

I ran a battery test a few days ago using Imtec Battery Mark (in Windows). With the LCD screen on full brightness and the CPU working on full load it lasts for a few minutes short of 3 hours. With the LCD brightness set to lowest setting and wireless and bluetooth off it lasts for a few minutes (five to be precise) short of 6 hours.
    It is claimed to only last for 5 hours, but it is possible to have it run for 6 actually. And it is still viewable in the lowest brightness setting. Just not in the sun though.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans
    Distro

Here's the funny part: on the "Welcome"-screen I can use my finger to tap on language and "Try out Kubuntu" (yes, I'm an old KDE-man, started out with SuSE back in 98, always prefered KDE since then and still do). However, after it has started up the KDE mobile display and everything is set I can just tap on the screen once, which selects whatever I point at that first time, but the mouse cursor doesn't move. After that one click there is no response to my finger touch on the screen any more.
    Weird. So maybe 1FGT and then it sounds like a Button 1 press without a release? Maybe a Qt bug with evdev touch?

Beans
    Distro

Alright it is matching both:
    [ 164.794] (II) config/udev: Adding input device N-Trig MultiTouch (/dev/input/event6)
    [ 164.794] (**) N-Trig MultiTouch: Applying InputClass "evdev touchscreen catchall"
    [ 164.794] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'N-Trig MultiTouch'
    and
    [ 164.797] (II) config/udev: Adding input device N-Trig Touchscreen (/dev/input/event7)
    [ 164.797] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: Applying InputClass "evdev touchscreen catchall"
    [ 164.797] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'N-Trig Touchscreen'
    And since Touchscreen 1FGT is running after MultiTouch that might be the problem.

So we need a custom snippet just matching MultiTouch and see what that does for us. Give me a bit.

Beans
    Distro

So we want a .conf file called 52-ntrig.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. You may have to create the xorg.conf.d directory. Then in it we want:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "N-Trig Touchscreen"
    	MatchDriver "evdev"
            MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
            MatchProduct "N-Trig Touchscreen"
            Option "Ignore"  "on"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "N-Trig MultiTouch"
            MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
            MatchProduct "N-Trig MultiTouch"
            Driver "evdev"
    EndSection
    I think I have the two snippets correct. Let's see what it does.

Beans

No luck... Here are the resulting xorg.logs.

Beans

So... I installed quantal KDE on to an SD card (I was just running the installation CD off of an SD card before). It boots up to a black screen. CTRL+ALT+F1 lands me in a console on tty1. A simple restart of KDM makes X restart and this time it comes to life.

Touch: I added the file you mentioned, in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d. Touch works ONCE and then no more. So I can hit OK or something, but then nothing.
    Pen works fine though.

Beans
    Distro

It appears that the Option "Ignore" with the MatchDriver snippet doesn't knock Touchscreen off evdev.
    [ 526.319] (II) config/udev: Adding input device N-Trig Touchscreen (/dev/input/event7)
    [ 526.319] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: Applying InputClass "evdev touchscreen catchall"
    [ 526.319] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: Applying InputClass "N-Trig Touchscreen"
    [ 526.319] (II) Using input driver 'evdev' for 'N-Trig Touchscreen'
    [ 526.319] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so
    [ 526.319] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: always reports core events
    [ 526.319] (**) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: Device: "/dev/input/event7"
    [ 526.319] (--) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: Vendor 0x1b96 Product 0x1
    [ 526.319] (--) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: Found absolute axes
    [ 526.319] (--) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: Found x and y absolute axes
    [ 526.319] (--) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: Found absolute touchscreen
    [ 526.319] (II) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: Configuring as touchscreen
    [ 526.319] (**) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: YAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
    [ 526.319] (**) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: EmulateWheelButton: 4, EmulateWheelInertia: 10, EmulateWheelTimeout: 200
    [ 526.319] (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.1/usb3/3-2/3-2:1.1/input/input7/event7"
    [ 526.319] (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "N-Trig Touchscreen" (type: TOUCHSCREEN, id 12)
    [ 526.320] (II) evdev: N-Trig Touchscreen: initialized for absolute axes.
    [ 526.320] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: (accel) keeping acceleration scheme 1
    [ 526.320] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: (accel) acceleration profile 0
    [ 526.320] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: (accel) acceleration factor: 2.000
    [ 526.320] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: (accel) acceleration threshold: 4
    So let's try changing the snippet:
    Code:
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "N-Trig Touchscreen"
            MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
            MatchProduct "N-Trig Touchscreen"
            Driver "evdev"
            Option "Ignore"  "on"
    EndSection

Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "N-Trig MultiTouch"
            MatchIsTouchscreen "on"
            MatchProduct "N-Trig MultiTouch"
            Driver "evdev"
    EndSection

Beans

Ok, that was weird... It works. Sort of. I mean, I can touch and I can select things, I can move slide bars up and down or side to side, but, I can not make the cursor move at all. That is, the arrow stays where it is at. Even though I open a menu with a finger touch, the arrow (cursor) remains in the middle of the screen. The menu opens but the cursor doesn't move.

Beans
    Distro

Beautiful, that was the main problem and the new snippet fixed it!
    [ 110.991] (II) config/udev: Adding input device N-Trig Touchscreen (/dev/input/event8 )
    [ 110.991] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: Ignoring device from InputClass "N-Trig Touchscreen"
    [ 110.992] (II) config/udev: Adding input device N-Trig Touchscreen (/dev/input/mouse3)
    [ 110.992] (**) N-Trig Touchscreen: Ignoring device from InputClass "N-Trig Touchscreen"
    lol Do you realize we've made more progress in a few posts than the two Slate 500 users and Ayuthia and myself made in pages on the old thread?

I can touch and I can select things, I can move slide bars up and down or side to side, but, I can not make the cursor move at all. That is, the arrow stays where it is at. Even though I open a menu with a finger touch, the arrow (cursor) remains in the middle of the screen. The menu opens but the cursor doesn't move.
    Hmmm. Do you have ginn installed? Gestures available?

I don't know if adding ginn will do anything for the cursor if it isn't installed but worth hoping for. The cursor tracking the finger contacts sounds like a Qt problem. Come to think of it when multitouch is enabled does a cursor appear for each finger? Anyway if the cursor is suppose to track one finger then it is probably a minor Qt bug that a Qt developer should be able to fix without much trouble if alerted to it.

I think mtview shows multiple cursors for the finger contacts:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/Testing/UsingMtview
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/Testing
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Multitouch/

I assume you could flip the Ignore Option to the MultiTouch snippet and that would give you single finger touch. Does the cursor then track the 1FGT?
    Last edited by Favux; May 30th, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

Page 161 of 169 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163 ... LastLast