Page 10 of 169 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: HOW TO: Set up the HP TX2z and Dell XT & XT2 (N-trig digitizer) in Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by xopher_mc View Post
    Hi I think that I have the Window's 7 firmware? Or, do you mean the driver that windows 7 itself uses. Or that the actual hardware filter the input.

Infact, my device id in the /dev/input/by-path
    pci-0000:00:14.5-usb-0:2:1.1-mouse
    as you can see its 0:2:1.1 rather than 0:2:1.0 (as in the howto)
    I was referring to the firmware. If you installed Windows 7 on your computer and have the touchscreen working, then you are using the Win 7 firmware.

From what I have been gathering so far with the Windows 7 firmware, the data quits sending data when the palm is on the screen. Of course it still does send one event over before it quits so you can get an accidental dot here and there.

I just tried GIMP and I was able to draw on the screen with my hand resting on it.

Are you getting a lot of marks on the screen when you rest your hand on the screen?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

hi Ayuthia,

Just testing it out again I think I have figured out what is happening. If there is only one touch i.e a finger and the pen then it flutters between the two. But when there is more than one touch input at the same time it just does what the digitizer reports. But I suppose that is to be expected as it doesn't respond when more than one finger touches the screen nothing happens. So the digitizer is not interfered with as long as the touch screen sees more than one event.

Also, I had a crazy idea about the side buttons (rotate and control panel) as the media key is actually a keyboard key would it not makes sense for the other keys to be keyboard keys. I have a Microsoft 4000 on my desktop and I remember that a kernel patch had to allow higher keycodes. I tried telling Xorg that the keyboard was a microsoft 4000 keyboard to see if it works with xev. It did not. But I wondered whether I was going about it the right way.

Beans
    Distro

Also, I had a crazy idea about the side buttons (rotate and control panel) as the media key is actually a keyboard key would it not makes sense for the other keys to be keyboard keys. I have a Microsoft 4000 on my desktop and I remember that a kernel patch had to allow higher keycodes. I tried telling Xorg that the keyboard was a microsoft 4000 keyboard to see if it works with xev. It did not. But I wondered whether I was going about it the right way.
    I think that it might be a kernel patch that will get this to work. From what I am understanding so far, it is not seen in xev and xtkbd.c source is not seeing it either or else it would have been reported in /var/log/messages or dmesg as an unrecognized key. I am not for sure if switching it in Xorg will get it recognized because I think that the xorg drivers are usually a layer below the kernel. I say this because the xorg drivers usually read the events from /dev/input/eventX which usually are created by a kernel module.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; September 23rd, 2009 at 11:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Still having problems with the touch and digitizer in karmic (maybe there is an ntrig patch missing in the kernel? When touch is switched off or commented out of the xorg file completely, the pointer still moves relatively frequently if more than one finger touches the screen. Basically when using xournal or gimp the pointer stops responding. Or I get line between where my hand is touching the screen and the pen. Enough to mean that taking notes in class and gimp is really frustrating.

If I install windows vista (eghhh!) back on to my machine will it revert the firmware back? As in so doing give me a better experience?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro

Still having problems with the touch and digitizer in karmic (maybe there is an ntrig patch missing in the kernel? When touch is switched off or commented out of the xorg file completely, the pointer still moves relatively frequently if more than one finger touches the screen. Basically when using xournal or gimp the pointer stops responding. Or I get line between where my hand is touching the screen and the pen. Enough to mean that taking notes in class and gimp is really frustrating.

If I install windows vista (eghhh!) back on to my machine will it revert the firmware back? As in so doing give me a better experience?

Thanks
    It is missing one patch. If I recall correctly, the patch does help distinguish the finger and pen a little better. When the pointer stops responding, it means that it detected more than one "finger" touching the screen.

As for using Vista, I wouldn't. It will be worse because Vista sends all the data over so you will have more issues with the pointer jumping everywhere.

I think that the touch being off and multiple fingers triggering it is partially due to the missing patch. The patch helps separate the touch and the pen better. If I recall, sometimes when the multiple finger occurs the unpatched version will trigger a pen event by accident.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks
    By the way, which version of Karmic are you using? 64 or 32-bit? I am currently using 64 and I am going to see if I can patch the new hid-ntrig.ko module to replace the current one in Karmic without having to rebuild the entire kernel.

Beans
    Distro

hey Ayuthia

Thanks so much.

I'm running 64bit karmic. I think your spot on about the multiple touch triggering an occasional pen event. Also the touch digitizer relationship is not perfect in windows.

I had actually made the problem worse for myself as well by uninstalling the driver on windows 7 to see if if the vista version would be better. You are correct it was touch screen hell

I hope i'm not distracting you from multi touch development
    ----

on another note, I was very happily surprised to find that fprint-demo works with with the tx2 finger print reader!

Beans
    Distro

hey Ayuthia

Thanks so much.

I'm running 64bit karmic. I think your spot on about the multiple touch triggering an occasional pen event. Also the touch digitizer relationship is not perfect in windows.

I had actually made the problem worse for myself as well by uninstalling the driver on windows 7 to see if if the vista version would be better. You are correct it was touch screen hell

I hope i'm not distracting you from multi touch development
    ----

on another note, I was very happily surprised to find that fprint-demo works with with the tx2 finger print reader!
    If you have a moment, can you try this version with the patches?
    You will need to extract it:
    Code:
    tar -xvjf hid-ntrig-2.6.31-10-generic-x86_64.tar.bz2
    It will extract a folder called hid-ntrig. Go into the folder:
    Code:
    cd hid-ntrig
    and copy the file over to /lib/modules:
    Code:
    sudo cp hid-ntrig.ko /lib/modules/2.6.31-10-generic/kernel/drivers/hid
    sudo depmod -a
    Make sure that you are using 2.6.31-10-generic:
    Code:
    uname -r
    Then you can restart or do the following:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe -r hid-ntrig
    sudo modprobe hid-ntrig
    Then log out and log back in.

If this works, then I will start working on getting the Karmic packages ready.

EDIT:
    There is the link to the 2.6.31-14-generic version for the 64 bit.

Here is the hid-ntrig-2.6.31-14-generic version for the 32-bit.
    Last edited by Ayuthia; October 22nd, 2009 at 07:20 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Hey Ayuthia,

Yep works brilliantly now! That is so coool.

It also works well without disabling touch in xournal

Thanks so much!!!

Beans
    Distro

Hey Ayuthia,

Yep works brilliantly now! That is so coool.

It also works well without disabling touch in xournal

Thanks so much!!!
    I am glad to hear that! Thanks for testing it out. This change will last until the next kernel release in Karmic. I will try to keep up with it, but things tend to change pretty often in Karmic.

This is nice to see that this works. This means that we can make updates without having to deal with the kernel update message in Update Manager for Karmic. It also reduces the compile time from about 3 hours down to about a minute for building the 32 and 64 bit. This excludes the source download though.

Page 10 of 169 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast