Thread: Trouble installing samba - 8.04 Turnkey Linux OpenVZ container

Beans

Unhappy Trouble installing samba - 8.04 Turnkey Linux OpenVZ container

I wasn't sure where the best place to post this issue would be but I decided to post here and see how we go. If I don't have any joy here I'll try elsewhere and post back with my progress. I am currently having trouble installing samba on a container running under OpenVZ (Proxmox).

I have spent a heap of time searching the net and I can't find anyone with a problem just like mine (probably because I have a unique hacked together setup).

Firstly a bit of background:
    Basically I am a Linux noob but fairly tech savy and a bit of PC admin experience (although mostly on Windows).
    My hardware OS is Proxmox 1.3 (a virtualisation environment based on Debian Lenny running KVM-86 and OpenVZ).
    My VM is a hacked together template that I made myself (from Turnkey Linux Core - based Ubuntu 8.04LTS) running in an OpenVZ container.

As I was saying a pretty unique hacked together setup!

I have done a fair bit of testing and haven't had any problems like this (that I haven't been able to fix). I have installed lots of packages and have many many running fine. But this one has me stumped.

I am running as root (I know I know!) and when I install (using apt-get install samba) I get the following:
    Code:
    Unpacking samba (from .../samba_3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.8_i386.deb) ...
    Setting up samba (3.0.28a-1ubuntu4.8) ...
    Generating /etc/default/samba...
    tdbsam_open: Converting version 0 database to version 3.
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 1 (min password length), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 2 (password history), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 3 (user must logon to change password), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 4 (maximum password age), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 5 (minimum password age), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 6 (lockout duration), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 7 (reset count minutes), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 8 (bad lockout attempt), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 9 (disconnect time), returning 0
    account_policy_get: tdb_fetch_uint32 failed for field 10 (refuse machine password change), returning 0
    Importing account for nobody...ok
    * Starting Samba daemons                                                             [fail]
    invoke-rc.d: initscript samba, action "start" failed.
    dpkg: error processing samba (--configure): 
    	subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    	samba
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    From my understanding of the error(s) it seems to be a user account problem of some sort. As I said above I am running as root, This is for another purpose (not just a samba server) and so I have only defined one user. As far as I know I do not have an account 'nobody' (unless that a default Ubuntu user account?)

I have tried most of the common advice that I have read re samba problems (eg apt-get --purge remove samba / samba-common, reinstall) to no effect.

Anybody got any ideas for me please. I'm sure its something I've broken when I converted the TKL appliance to an OpenVZ container but I've got no idea what. Or perhaps its just something simple I've overlooked.

Thanks!
    Last edited by JedMeister; August 28th, 2009 at 06:59 AM. Reason: tidied up formatting

Beans

Re: Trouble installing samba - 8.04 Turnkey Linux OpenVZ container

I'm going to continue troubleshooting this over on the Turnkey Linux forums. If you think you have something useful to offer please feel free to come over there and post (or just post here).

If/when I find a solution I will endeavor to post back here.

Beans

Talking Re: Trouble installing samba - 8.04 Turnkey Linux OpenVZ container

Solved! The problem was that I neglected to create the /dev/random file and as such samba was unable to generate random numbers on intial install. The reason why other apps were working fine is that most use /dev/urandom to generate random nos. It still has the (above) permission errors on install but it will run. Apparently the way to resolve these errors is to use the command
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure samba
    Last edited by JedMeister; September 1st, 2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: added additional info

Beans

Re: Trouble installing samba - 8.04 Turnkey Linux OpenVZ container

Quote Originally Posted by JedMeister View Post
    Solved! The problem was that I neglected to create the /dev/random file and as such samba was unable to generate random numbers on intial install. The reason why other apps were working fine is that most use /dev/urandom to generate random nos. It still has the (above) permission errors on install but it will run. Apparently the way to resolve these errors is to use the command
    Code:
    dpkg-reconfigure samba
    Hi,
    I had this same problem, and solving it came down to the reconfig as well, but "dpkg-reconfigure" samba gave me similar issues.

I solved it by
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove samba
    sudo apt-get remove samba-commons
    sudo apt-get purge samba
    sudo apt-get purge samba-commons
    the purges were to be sure to be sure...

Code:
    sudo apt-get install samba-commons
    At which point I got error:
    Code:
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 1
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     samba-common
    To fix this :
    Code:
    sudo cp /usr/share/samba/smb.conf /etc/samba/smb.conf
    sudo dpkg --configure -a
    Then "sudo apt-get install samba" worked like a charm.

Hope this helps, someone save a few hours of their lives

Brian