Thread: HOWTO: A Blackbox Guide

Beans

Talking Re: HOWTO: A Blackbox Guide

great blackbox guide!
    you've done a really good job.

just fyi:
    you wrote in the guide.
    -Potential problems with menu/styles:
    No text in the menu. Answer. Make sure the style file you're using states a font to be used. Many I've found will say "snap*" in place of a font.
    'snap' actually is a part of the artwiz font pack. a set of fonts made for fluxbox (or blackbox, i guess) it is not an error in the themes.
    I WAS BORN READY!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOWTO: A Blackbox Guide

Quote Originally Posted by super
    great blackbox guide!
    you've done a really good job.

just fyi:
    you wrote in the guide.

'snap' actually is a part of the artwiz font pack. a set of fonts made for fluxbox (or blackbox, i guess) it is not an error in the themes.
    OH wow thanks! I had no idea it was a font! Many style files I've seen have that listed as the font and I thought it was strange! Now it makes sense why the text wouldn't show up, since I don't have the snap font installed. I'll edit the guide and acknowledge your fix! Thanks!

Beans
    Distro

Added how to install latest Blackbox 0.70.1 and how to add it to the gdm.

Beans

What about upgrading to the new version. I've got my .70 all up and running. Is it possible to upgrade somehow, or do I have to redo the whole thing?? OK, it might not be that big of a deal.

Is there a big difference. I was looking at the changelog and it said something about improved window placement - Have you seen a difference??
    VivaLaRoach

Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth.

Beans
    Distro

Well I've only been toying around with it for a few hours and I don't see too really anything new. The one that bugs me though is....

I don't use the blackbox panel, so I turned it off. But whenever I open the gnome-panel it sits above the normal place of the blackbox panel. It creates an open space on the bottom of the screen. So i have to manually move the gnome-panel down to the bottom of the window. Somewhat annoying, but just an observation.

Beans

Nice guide!
    Finally I got rid of the flicking in conky!
    I can't figure out how to thread conky with xmms though.
    Could you post a sample of your .conkyrc containing xmms section please?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by m666
    Nice guide!
    Finally I got rid of the flicking in conky!
    I can't figure out how to thread conky with xmms though.
    Could you post a sample of your .conkyrc containing xmms section please?

I haven't figured that out yet, but that's probably because the version of conky I'm running 1.3.5 doesn't have xmms support... BUT on this post of this thread it says that conky 1.4 is out AND it supports xmms (and some other things) you can get the .deb from the post or the source from http://conky.sourceforge.net/. When I have some time I'll upgrade to 1.4 and test out the xmms support, if you beat me to it, tell me how it goes!

Beans
    Distro

Well, rather than doing my work, I decided to compile conky 1.4 . Be sure to read the README file to get all of the optional arguments for the ./configure... including --enable-xmms. I haven't gotten xmms up with conky yet... The README also includes all variables for 1.4. The links I posted above have some relevant information about xmms and getting it to work with conky (post 140 especially).

Beans

I got it working...
    But XMMS is behaving very strange, skipping tracks, loosing custom skin...
    I guess I have lot to do...
    But not today. Maybe tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10
    hi all, im quite new here. i thought id try ubuntu, i downloaded 5.10, installed it, but so far its only been a pain in the ***.
    first boot, gdm shows up, but it wouldnt let me login. says xinitrc is missing. got around it by chown-ing my homefolder to myself. doh..
    so im in. yaay!
    so lets make it look better. blackbox is the solution! i tried apt-get, it didnt find the package. tried downloading the source, but couldnt compile it cause it was missing a bunch of stuff, like gcc, libiconv etc etc etc. opened up synaptic, got the packages it was crying for, one after another, until bb configured itself successfully. i ran a make and it returned lotsof errors.

so my question is:
    how did you guys install blackbox onto your systems? following this great guide is a dead end for me, since im stuck at step 1.
    how did you manage to compile it?
    Last edited by nitefly; March 4th, 2006 at 05:11 PM.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast