Thread: Is this healthy?..

Beans

Thumbs down Is this healthy?..

HI, i am a new user... i keep switching the hard drive on my dell inspiron 1300,,, b/n two
    one with UBUNTU and the second one with WINDOWS. .. does this affect the health of my laptop?.... things that went bad...when i did this...
    1---> my Ctrl button does not work in any of the O.S
    2---> my system clock will not sync in windows automatically, even if i try to update my time online... i had to manually adjust it....I AM YET TO VERIFY THE BIOS TIME..

CAN SOMEONE PLS EDUCATE ME ON THIS ....

NOTE: I AM AWARE OF DUEL BOOTING..I GOT MY REASON AS TO WHY I DO NOT WANT THAT...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Is this healthy?..

If your Control key does not work in either OS, then you have pretty well eliminated software as a culprit. That points to hardware.

As for the clock setting in Windows... Is the difference one of a minute or two, or is it hours (as in UTC)?
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

it was more than 4 to 5 hours... untill i manually adjusted it yesterday....i do not understand (UTC)?????..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Fix the BIOS time, and things will be fine.

CTRL not working, try a new keyboard, off newegg/ebay for about $10

switching hard drives will not be an issue with health. Worse thing you could do is ruin the connectors from mishandling the removal/installation...
    Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and I thought to myself, where the heck is the ceiling.

Beans

thank you... it is a laptop.. i got 5 keyboards in the house...lol....but it is good to know that nothing wrong in switching hard drives...
    another question... my laptop heats up really fast with windows...but takes a while or never really gets that hot when i use ubuntu... it that normal...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Sounds like a UTC issue (the number of time zones you are away from Greenwich, England) and your Ubuntu disk is using GMT.

From the terminal in Ubuntu,

Code:
     gksudo gedit /etc/default/rcS
    (If you are using Kubuntu, change gksudo to kdesu)

Change the line

Code:
    UTC=yes
    to

Code:
    UTC=no
    Changing disks is probably doing what would effectively be happening in a dual boot configuration when UTC is set to yes in Ubuntu.

Edit: Sorry. UTC is coordinated universal time.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines
    My Blog
    A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

thank you Mr.QIII.... that was very helpful and it made more sense...
    the thing is ubuntu updates the time and date automatically but windows does not ... any particular reasons... (i try to update my date and time using auto update in windows and it will not work). ..
    and where can i learn about the codes the ones..u just suggested me.. pls let me know.. i would like to learn. thank you again

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by balaji_9r View Post
    it was more than 4 to 5 hours... untill i manually adjusted it yesterday....i do not understand (UTC)?????..
    UTC/GMT is actually UK time in winter-only. Right now its an hour less.